86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Marlin Crawler bumper bent in half

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockota
there's no way in hell you did that at 5 miles per hour... I'm calling BS on that. I would not warranty this if I were Marlin (or anyone, for that matter)- you hit that thing way harder than admitting.
You're right, I reversed strait into a rock at 50 mph just to see how strong the bumper was
Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
You're right, I reversed strait into a rock at 50 miles per hour just to see how strong the bumper was
You collapsed and apparently split .120 HREW, bent the same .120 HREW behind it, while bending both 1/4" mounting points and the 1/4" spanning plate. And clearly you backed into something that was very narrow in stature, which put all the pressure on the - maybe 3" - point where the tube is bent.

This damage does not happen at 5 mph. Period.

Sucks that you wrecked your bumper. But it's also a consumable item, just like nerfs and rollcages. Regardless, how the hell is Marlin responsible?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
damn dude. I was always wondering how those bumpers would actually hold up.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by rockota
You collapsed and apparently split .120 HREW, bent the same .120 HREW behind it, while bending both 1/4" mounting points and the 1/4" spanning plate. And clearly you backed into something that was very narrow in stature, which put all the pressure on the - maybe 3" - point where the tube is bent.

This damage does not happen at 5 miles per hour. Period.

Sucks that you wrecked your bumper. But it's also a consumable item, just like nerfs and rollcages. Regardless, how the hell is Marlin responsible?
It did. Period.

In the area that I was, there is lots of dynomited rock to make the trail and that makes the rocks pointy, I imagine I hit a point of a rock, as I said I hit it and I kept going cause it didn't seem out of the ordinary so I didn't check the rock that I hit out.

I'm not saying Marlin is responsible, but it's pretty sad that their design allowed it to happen. Seems that more bracing between those two tubes would have prevented this from happening. I'm not expecting them to say, "here's a new bumper" but we'll see what they have to say.

Obviously there is no way to "prove" how I bent the bumper, but why haven't I seen any other of there bumpers bend like this? I can guarantee this same bumper has been hit harder on other rigs and not caved in like this...
Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Takes substantial amount of dynamic force to mess up 0.120" wall tubing that bad.

Dare I say it...I agree with rockota. (inside joke)

I don't think you'll have much luck getting that warrantied, from Marlin or anyone.

Saw a front bumper get ripped off a couple weekends ago, sometimes it just happens.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I think if there bumpers came so no bends could occur, you'd then have a 1200 dollar bumper. Somethings gotta give, better the bumper and not the frame.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Takes substantial amount of dynamic force to mess up 0.120" wall tubing that bad.

Dare I say it...I agree with rockota. (inside joke)

I don't think you'll have much luck getting that warrantied, from Marlin or anyone.

Saw a front bumper get ripped off a couple weekends ago, sometimes it just happens.

Yeah and I realize that it happens, like I said I'm not expecting them to give me a new bumper, but I want to see what they have to say about it...

I realize my first post was not very detailed...I was at an incline while reversing so more weight of the truck was on the truck...it wasn't on a flat surface. Even then though, in my opinion of the situation, the bumper shouldn't have bent in like it did.

This bumper has held up to alot of abuse, and I haven't made my mind up as to which bumper I will get next...I'm not the biggest fan of Trail Gear, but there bumper does look better designed on the section that bent.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
I think if there bumpers came so no bends could occur, you'd then have a 1200 dollar bumper. Somethings gotta give, better the bumper and not the frame.
Good point...I still think the two tubes could be braced better like TG's design.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how fast can a toyota go in low range reverse? probably not much faster than 5mph.. and if he has t-case gears or were in double low he probably would have been going slower than that. thats an unlucky hit regardless of how fast you were going, or how fast people "think" you were going. i guess its time for a real bumper
Old 08-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Looks lke mall damage to me....just sayin

Old 08-15-2010, 09:18 PM

jeez BBP lmao

i agree, the bumper should not have bent like it should.

i'm still going to get the bumper..but i'm definitely bracing it...i was already going to brace it because of towing purposes...but now i'm gonna brace it even more lol
Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
looks to me like you nailed it harder than you think, I am with Wabbit and rockota on this one.

So what kind of response have you gotten on the Marlin Forum?
here is the link:http://board.marlincrawler.com/
I am curious to see what they have to say
Old 08-15-2010, 09:36 PM

post it on pirate lmao
Old 08-15-2010, 10:49 PM

I think with the weight of the truck AND reversing on an incline hitting an obstacle that is concentrated at 1 point, that is expected to happen. Especially(im assuming) if the rock did not move. Case in point: It takes less to do more on an incline.....
Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 PM

Only one bite on Marlin...

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=73135.0
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't understand the arguing here. Lets point fingers and call each other a liar, guys. Oh wait, I stopped that when I left the 3rd grade.

I think 89 is right in letting the company know that their bumper completely folded in on him with what he says was a normal slow speed hit that you wouldn't think twice about.
Whats wrong with informing the company of a potential defect? If anything, they'll take it as constructive criticism and change their design.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
I don't understand the arguing here. Lets point fingers and call each other a liar, guys. Oh wait, I stopped that when I left the 3rd grade.

I think 89 is right in letting the company know that their bumper completely folded in on him with what he says was a normal slow speed hit that you wouldn't think twice about.
Whats wrong with informing the company of a potential defect? If anything, they'll take it as constructive criticism and change their design.

Thinking the same thing here, thanks scuba!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by scuba

Of course. I'm just saying.... you would never think twice on an incline cause it takes less to do more damage. I don't even think its a defect. In fact, I'm certain it's not a defect. He has the right to let them know and hopefully they take his experience as constructive criticism. The bumper did what it was supposed to do. He still has his tail gate and rear axle. 86 already said that he has hit things in the past a lot harder (on level ground I'm assuming) and the bumper held up, hence no defect...... incline makes all the difference. EXPECT damage.

86 did say he wanted a warranty. Not sure what that means but who knows. Not taking any sides or pointing fingers...just saying the obvious is sometimes overlooked.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't warranty it either. Warrantys are for faulty workmanship, not for backing a product into a rock, at any speed, and demolishing it.

A bumper is a protective devise, albeit cosmetic as well, and it did its job. It saved otherparts on your truck. Nowhere does it say that its constructed of kryptonite and will last forever while backing into rocks.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow dude, that's rough. Hopefully Marlin will make it right, but I guess I can't blame them if they don't, either. I was planning on replacing my stock bumper with the MC bumper in time, but now I'm not so sure.

Quick Reply: Marlin Crawler bumper bent in half