86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

look at these spark plugs!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
x2 - the only plug that looks out of the ordinary is the one on the far right. I x2 the compression check too - if it comes out OK, I wouldn't worry about it.

x2 for the coolant flush/fill ... looks like maybe they had put some stop-leak in there, which is OK for a temporary fix, but can have negative effects down the road (namely plugged heater core). Have the coolant system flushed by machine and fix any leaks properly.

If you haven't had the head gasket recall done, why don't you make an appointment and take it in? They will freshen everything up and it won't cost you much since they are already in there ...
tc....I called the Toyota TSI and they said that there was not a recall for the head gasket for my vin number and about the flushing of the system I to agree that maybe some sort of stop leak was used to plug a leak in something....
Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by darksoldier313
little tip on reading spark plugs black-overfueling white-running lean oily-well burning oil lol chips out of them-detonating yellow ring around the ceramic- plugs leaking compression look down in the cylinder with a good light if its really clean and u havnt just had it cleaned odds r your leaking antifreeze into the cylinder however its kinda hard to tell but it looks like rust build up in the antifreeze have u flushed it a couple of times better pics r a must to help
darksoldier313........thanks for the info....and I'll do much better with the pics next time
Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Guardian_Saint
If it was me I would replace the rediator and flush the inside out, and always use green coolant... Also on the spark plugs, use iridium spark plugs. They are good in the cold weather and can take the lowest voltage to spark.
Guardian_Saint...thanks for the info also and the spark plugs you talk about where can I find them?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:33 PM

i would have to disagree with the whole always use green coolant if u r going to flush it completely up i would upgrade the coolant through previouse experience and a lil research green coolant is not very great if i were u id go ahead and upgrade the coolant too thats assuming u care enough to
Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM

i would have to disagree with the whole always use green coolant if u r going to flush it completely up i would upgrade the coolant through previouse experience and a lil research green coolant is not very great if i were u id go ahead and upgrade the coolant too thats assuming u care enough to
It's a Toyota, not a Mercedes. In an engine that's already seen that much corrosion, you aren't going to see any benefits from the costlier antifreeze.

You can get denso/NGK plugs at most auto shops, just ask for then specifically so they don't hand you Bosch
Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM

but it will help with further deterioration if i spelled that right
Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So what would you recommend instead? Hopefully not Dexcool (orange) - I had to put a whole new cooling system in my Impala because of that crap ... for a 'wheeling vehicle, green is the way to go - you can get green coolant ANYWHERE.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM

when i worked at rays automotive part of or employment requirements was training so he would do extensive research on certain subjects and give us his results and randomly ask us about it one of which was the good ol coolant subject tho its been a while back i believe one of the top performers was (and yes i hate to say it) ford yellow now thats not including the bmw blue or toyota red etc... that was just green orange and yellow but of all the coolants the green failed the worst turns out the anti corrosive agents actually worked against itself not to say they havnt reformulated it since these results in 07 but probably not
Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 AM

It looks like you could be over fueling. Before I rebuilt my carb, I was overfueling badly, new plugs looked like they had seen years of use after a couple weeks
Old 01-20-2009, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Yotapowa
It looks like you could be over fueling. Before I rebuilt my carb, I was overfueling badly, new plugs looked like they had seen years of use after a couple weeks
Yotapowa..........maybe a good point I do have a problem with the 4runner flooding out when starting at cold and sometimes when engine warm so maybe a leaky injector or injectors?.....but goo call thanks.....but what about the smell of the plugs?....I have never smelled plugs like that before don't smell like burnt oil just like kinda weird like rubber hose or something...
Old 01-20-2009, 03:41 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
looks like they may have used copper block seal to try to seal the headgaskets. Have you done a compression check yet? That should give you a better idea of how the motors health is looking. Be carefull flushing the coolant, you might flush out what was plugging a possible headgasket failure. You might also want to invest in a coolant system pressure tester. Fill up the system, pump up the tester and let it sit for 15 20 minutes and see how much pressure was lost. It's the best way to test for coolant leaks. Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM

It looks like someone dookied in there.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
looks like they may have used copper block seal to try to seal the headgaskets. Have you done a compression check yet? That should give you a better idea of how the motors health is looking. Be carefull flushing the coolant, you might flush out what was plugging a possible headgasket failure. You might also want to invest in a coolant system pressure tester. Fill up the system, pump up the tester and let it sit for 15 20 minutes and see how much pressure was lost. It's the best way to test for coolant leaks. Good luck whichever way you go.
vital22re....I really don't know what was put in the radiator and have all ready flushed the system out until the water ran somewhat clear.I don't know how much more of that red stuff is in the radiator and cooling system at this point but I hope the flushing did some good.
well the compression test I tried this past Saturday it was really cold here in Ga.....my compression gauge went south on me and my engine was cooling off quickly so I just put some new plugs back in and called it a day
I will try to locate a coolant pressure test gauge where can i purchase one?....and are they expensive?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buckz6319
Guardian_Saint...thanks for the info also and the spark plugs you talk about where can I find them?
Go to any auto parts stores and ask them for some NGK iridium spark plugs, and they are costly at about $6.00 ea or more.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Buckz, I picked up mine at carquest. Shmuks/ schucks should be able to get you one. They can be kinda pricey. Carquest has a complete kit for about 300. I don't know about harbor tools. I'd call around to a couple shops and see if they can pressure test your cooling system. Or check ebay, but they are worth their weight in gold when you're looking for those small leaks. Last time i saw coolant like that was a blazzer that had dexcool, horrible coolant. Once again, good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 AM

u can get a cheap one with just the single cap for your specific vehilce like 30 or 40 or u could rent one from a part store