Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lighting for snow

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that many won't agree, and it may be out of your price range, but I did an HID projector conversion in my headlights and they do great in the snow. When running the low beams there is zero light above the cutoff, so you don't just see the snow falling in front of you. Plus the light spread is very even and wide. I get about 6800 lumens from two lights that run at 35 watts! Really, the only downside is the cost, IMO
Old 07-07-2008, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
Infrared mostly shows a heat signature. How would that help other than showing residual sunshine heat and the heat of the tires. (Or a hiding mouse) I need pics so I can understand better what you mean with this idea?
Infrared is different than thermal imaging; just a heads up.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Brenjen
Infrared is different than thermal imaging; just a heads up.

How? Infrared in the spectral range pics up a heat signature. So is it that different? Yes there are sensors that are tuned to thermal spectra and so they will be better at detecting a dialed in heat signature, but Infrared can do this job if you are looking for a heat signature in the infrared range.

"Infrared radiation has wavelengths between about 750 nm and 1 mm, spanning three orders of magnitude. Humans at normal body temperature can radiate at a wavelength of 10 microns.[1]

Infrared imaging is used extensively for both military and civilian purposes. Military applications include target acquisition, surveillance, night vision, homing and tracking. Non-military uses include thermal efficiency analysis, remote temperature sensing..."

Just sayin' Then again I might be splitting angstroms....

And now back to our regularly scheduled light discussion....
Old 07-07-2008, 11:29 AM

i have a aux set of yellow fogs and they seem to give the snow a little more definition to me than the white or HID.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
How? Infrared in the spectral range pics up a heat signature. So is it that different? Yes there are sensors that are tuned to thermal spectra and so they will be better at detecting a dialed in heat signature, but Infrared can do this job if you are looking for a heat signature in the infrared range.

"Infrared radiation has wavelengths between about 750 nm and 1 mm, spanning three orders of magnitude. Humans at normal body temperature can radiate at a wavelength of 10 microns.[1]

Infrared imaging is used extensively for both military and civilian purposes. Military applications include target acquisition, surveillance, night vision, homing and tracking. Non-military uses include thermal efficiency analysis, remote temperature sensing..."

Just sayin' Then again I might be splitting angstroms....

And now back to our regularly scheduled light discussion....
rofl.. splitting angstoms. I'm sure you're not trying to Bohr me.

So now let me shell out... I was suggesting... in spite of the apparent confusion regarding thermal and infrared imaging... where the camera has an infrared source of a particular wavelength and the camera has a detector tuned for that wavelength thus allowing the camera to resolve terrain and other errata without concern for the... um... temperature of said errata or terrain, as I alluded to earlier with reference to 'night vision'. Night vision goggles do not rely on temperature alone but also use an illumination source to which the goggles are sensitive to the reflections of.

The point is that passive infrared imaging relies on residual heat, but active thermal imaging does not and supplies an illumination source sympathetic to the receiving imaging apparatus most sensitive wavelengths.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-07-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thermal cams might make for an interesting drive past "the point" or the "lookout".
Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 PM

did someone say infrared?
kind of off topic. sorry.

on topic
i have a set of hella 500s in yellow, they do great
Old 07-08-2008, 06:07 AM

Molly, you are 100% correct that both types of imaging are technically infrared but; in the vernacular one type is referred to as Night Vision or just Infrared & another type is referred to as Thermal Imaging. Getting into wave lengths, illuminators, lens types, the electronic filtering used etc. we could discuss in lengthy paragraphs for a while.

Here are a couple examples of different types of Thermal Imaging

Here are a couple examples of infrared or "night vision" (common vernacular)

Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 86tuning
We've had good luck with Hella H4 (e-code) lamps in almost all conditions. We do a fair bit of high-speed driving in the winter when we go skiing. Just don't use the high beams in the snow, or all you will see is incoming snow.

I know that e-code lighting is perfectly legal in Canada, but may not be in all states. The Hella part number is 72200 for the 6054 rectangular replacement lamps.

Im going this route once I get some extra green to spend on whatever. Where did you order yours from? I lost my contact in the us so shipping is a pain in the arse again!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

If you want to go really high-tech you need to combine the imaging from the night-vision canera with a forward radar system to give you accurate information on distance to objects in your path since with a single camera forward you loose the depth of field info you get from stereoscopic [normal] human vision. you could rig up a dual camera system and run it through seperate HUD displays for each eye but now we are getting a little nuts...
Old 07-08-2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
They get a lot of snow in Belize?

According to the U.S. Sate Department website, there is tons of snow in Belize. ZING!

But anyways, Lightforce 240's with a blue filter are a good option.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
They get a lot of snow in Belize?

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I was implying something like night vision goggles.
Driving with Night Vision sucks, especially in snow. I drove a few convoys when stationed in Alaska and upstate New York. Night vision offers no depth perception. I have seen guys on point walk off banks. The green tint sucks and is grainy.

Thermal (see FLIR systems) would show every hotspot on vehicles--exhaust, brakes, engine etc etc. Though a PAS-13 works great for hitting a guy at 300M in a snow storm with an M-4

To the OP I had good luck with Yellow lenses in the snow. Sounds like the Light Force lights would be a good investment.