Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by premirrider
DONT BODY lift. Do a smiple bracket lift 4 inch. That way you have plenty of room for 33x12.50(what Im running) or you can fit 35x12.50's if you desidetoo. Now a 33x 10.50 will fitt with no rubb under stock. You'll have to bang out the pinch welds. Search tc, that guy does some awsome stuff with that set up. Oh yea hes locked too.
Oy vey, the whole body lift controversy starts again...
Notice, I said "IF it's about looks", then go with a BL. However, I tire of hearing people say that you can't wheel with a body lift. I suggest they go talk to Roger Brown about that...

ANYWAY, bracket lifts aren't cheap. The original poster mentioned that he didn't have much money, so unless he finds a used bracket lift, he's shelling out some money. Remember, this whole thread has been in the context of "I want to fit 33's, and I don't have much money"

Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 PM

How much body lift do you think i should get to fit 33's
Old 08-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ryanflknr
How much body lift do you think i should get to fit 33's
2" will get you what you want, and you shouldn't have to do any major modifications. When you get into the 3" range you have to start adjusting a lot of stuff...

Here, read up:

www.4crawler.com

Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 PM

dood, you can TOTALLY run 33's without any lift. if you think the clearance is too tight, and you don't want to use a BFH, then get like a 1-2" body lift.

i run 31's. it's what i can afford and i wheel it like mad. infact i'm going out to do so in a few minutes.

trust me when i say that 33's would be great but the will slow down your truck even more. use what you've got until you need more.

just my .02
Old 08-04-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DONT BODY lift. Do a smiple bracket lift 4 inch. That way you have plenty of room for 33x12.50(what Im running) or you can fit 35x12.50's if you desidetoo. Now a 33x 10.50 will fitt with no rubb under stock. You'll have to bang out the pinch welds. Search tc, that guy does some awsome stuff with that set up. Oh yea hes locked too.
Ryan, having owned a 4" bracket lift I would suggest you do some research and read commentary from those who have wheeled them. You might decide against this route, it has many issues concerning strength and maintaining alignment. Also, they are not very cheap. I will not purchase another one.

For now go with little to no lift and 31's. As mentioned, get at least some sliders. You can run an inexpensive locker like a Locrite in the rear diff if it will fit your needs. You should be able to install it yourself.

I'd next look into a rear bumper since the tails of our trucks are a tad long. Don't worry about the front bumper for now. Smittybuilt probably isn't where you want to look. Check Marlin Crawler or another more off road worthy bumpers.

With just 31's and a locker you will be amazed and probably quite happy with where your truck will take you.

Frank
Old 08-04-2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by elripster
Ryan, having owned a 4" bracket lift I would suggest you do some research and read commentary from those who have wheeled them. You might decide against this route, it has many issues concerning strength and maintaining alignment. Also, they are not very cheap. I will not purchase another one.

For now go with little to no lift and 31's. As mentioned, get at least some sliders. You can run an inexpensive locker like a Locrite in the rear diff if it will fit your needs. You should be able to install it yourself.

I'd next look into a rear bumper since the tails of our trucks are a tad long. Don't worry about the front bumper for now. Smittybuilt probably isn't where you want to look. Check Marlin Crawler or another more off road worthy bumpers.

With just 31's and a locker you will be amazed and probably quite happy with where your truck will take you.

Frank
agreed. if you want to build a truck that can do well off road. generally, you'll want to steer clear of the generic "mall crawler" lifts. they're very popular where i live and i was looking into it for a while. with a little searching of the forums tho, i quickly decided against it. it's an expensive route that wont take me anywhere in the long run.......
Old 08-04-2007, 06:30 PM

also adding on to the last 2 posts, try and stay away from the "mall crawler" accessories all together. search around here and see what these guys (and the few girls) are runnin on their rigs. take these guys advice, they know what they are talking about..
Old 08-04-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I bet you also have some awesome Oregon guns for sale that have only been fired once too right?

I have a 3" body lift on my truck, and I also have a 4" bracket lift.

The body lift has been on for 11 years or so, the bracket lift only the last few months. I never worried about the body lift, nor was I ever reminded that it was even on the truck. It has been completely transparent and bullet proof. I have never, ever, been reminded that it was even on the truck.

I wish I could say the same about the bracket lift.

Don't get me wrong though, I love having the bracket lift on there but to be honest, I can't help feeling like its made out of tin foil or something. I have no confidence at all in it as far as beating on the truck goes. All of my ball joints and TRE's have been on the truck since it was new and all of a sudden, I'm afraid to wheel it until I replace all of that.

The bracket lift was the only way to get my tires under the IFS truck without doing an SAS that I wasn't ready for, and just didn't want to do so I put it on. I don't regret it all all though, and all of this stuff probably needed to be replaced anyways, but for you to say that a bracket lift is better than a body lift is just retarded.

Do you even have one of these lifts?

A 3" quality body lift will allow the OP to run 33x12.50's and actually wheel his truck. That is the best option and I don't care what anyone says, there is absolutely no benefit to having a bracket lift over a body lift except for the extra inch. The only reason I would recommend that anyone get a bracket lift is if they want to do what I did and run 35" or 36" tires. I have the amount of lift I wanted, but the durability of the truck has suffered because of it.

I still love my truck though, don't get me wrong. I just think that people that diss body lifts need to at least know what they hell they are talking about.

Btw, I also have BJ spacers on my truck too. So I'm qualified to give opinions on them too. And my opinion is they they are the best thing for these trucks since tires were invented. :p

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 08-04-2007 at 08:16 PM.