86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LEDs in Dome/Cluster/etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monochrome
Very helpful post, thank you. I am slightly concerned about the temperature controls, because the x3 LED I chose for the #74 is very slightly longer than a stock #74, and it may cause interference with the cluster... I guess there's only one way to find out.

What bulb did you use in the cluster that wasn't very bright? What color did you use?

And do you have any pics?
I just used the x, the first one in the #194 section on the superbright website, for the gauges. It only has 1 led so the light did not spread as well as I'd hoped for. I hadn't planned on changing out the temperature control bulb, but it decided to blow while the dash was out, so I ran to Advanced and picked up an incandescent and used that without the green condom on it. It's ok for now, but I'm planning on making an order to superbright soon for my reverse lights (4crawlers website has a write up) x5's for the dash, a #74 for my controls, and some others for my brother's YJ.
Photo bucket is not cooperating, I can email you some pics if you'd like.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:57 AM

Oh, and I went with white.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM

ok if i do the swap to an SR5 cluster will everything be plug and paly? or will i have to buy a dash harness for the new cluster? i did a digital cluster swap in my prelude and had to do the whole new dash harness it sucked haha if i have to do the dash harness i might just look into doing the LED bulbs in the cluster i have now
Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 93yota93lude
ok if i do the swap to an SR5 cluster will everything be plug and paly? or will i have to buy a dash harness for the new cluster? i did a digital cluster swap in my prelude and had to do the whole new dash harness it sucked haha if i have to do the dash harness i might just look into doing the LED bulbs in the cluster i have now
I've only done some preliminary research on this. If you have a '93, I believe you need an electric (non-cable) SR5 cluster. I think from 89-91 they used cabled speedos, from 92-95 they used electric. Beyond that, from what I've read it's plug and play, though you may have issues with the other sender guages and stuff (oil temp for example).

Keep in mind you're going to have to replace the lights either way, even if you swap in a cluster. If the tach is really worth it to you, then go for it, but either way you'll be doing the same work and won't have a correct odometer anymore.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by stock as possible
I just used the x, the first one in the #194 section on the superbright website, for the gauges. It only has 1 led so the light did not spread as well as I'd hoped for. I hadn't planned on changing out the temperature control bulb, but it decided to blow while the dash was out, so I ran to Advanced and picked up an incandescent and used that without the green condom on it. It's ok for now, but I'm planning on making an order to superbright soon for my reverse lights (4crawlers website has a write up) x5's for the dash, a #74 for my controls, and some others for my brother's YJ.
Photo bucket is not cooperating, I can email you some pics if you'd like.
Gotcha, yeah other people on the forums have used the 1 LED ones, but the 5x LEDs look really well lit up. Thanks for the info.

You have a PM for emailing the pics.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM

SR5 Cluster swap

Originally Posted by 93yota93lude
Check this thread.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...w-pics-179106/
Old 10-29-2009, 12:20 PM

It's hard to tell but my hazard light triangle and A/C button lights aren't working after the swap. Maybe i missed something in the reinstall?

Last edited by stock as possible; 10-29-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:27 PM

According to my research on the internets to understand scientifically what is best for low-light conditions, keep reading. It's interesting stuff, and I've tried to summarize about 20 articles.

There are three types of vision that are proprotional to the amount of available light in the visible spectrum: Photopic (high light), mesopic (low light), and scotopic (pitch black/very little light). As our human eyes don't have very many rod cells compared with animals, we have a very hard time seeing in mesopic and scotopic boundaries. Instead, we have a high number of cones, which allow the perception of color.

Rods contain a chemical called rhodopsin, which is extremely sensitive to light, particularly that in the shorter wavelength spectrum. The visible spectrum goes from approximately 380nm to 750nm (violet to red). We rely on cones for approximately 450-600nm wavelength, and rods as the bookends of the visible spectrum (most importantly, dark red).

During the mesopic vision stage (driving at night for example), anything of a shorter wavelength such as blue will negatively impact our ability to see because the rhodopsin "resets" and makes the rods MUCH less effective for about 5 minutes. This is called "bleaching" and it can take up to 30 minutes to fully recover from a blast of higher wavelength light.

Conclusion: Because we want to prevent the rhodopsin from the bleaching due to exposure by higher wavelengths of light such as blue and yellow, and because we have so few rod cells compared to cones which are sensitive to those colors, it is best to use red lights for instrumentation. Red lights at the appropriate spectrum will not cause this bleaching effect, or at least keep it to a minimum so that we can see the road.

How is that for an explanation? You can read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_vision
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_pigment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photopic_vision
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesopic_vision
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodopsin
That is really cool! Thank you for sharing that knowledge.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
It's hard to tell but my hazard light triangle and A/C button lights aren't working after the swap. Maybe i missed something in the reinstall?
check to make sure the polarity are correct on the replacement bulbs. some of the leds only work one way
Old 10-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by stock as possible;51265949[IMG
http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx54/ja28078/DSC008661.jpg[/IMG]

Looks awesome, and thanks for the email.

Do the hazard light and the A/C button require separate #74s?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:55 PM

hmm red lights would look cool, and that green is annoying a bit.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spanish-road
hmm red lights would look cool, and that green is annoying a bit.
I like the green...

Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Robert m
check to make sure the polarity are correct on the replacement bulbs. some of the leds only work one way
But I didnt replace the ac/hazard bulbs. could the new bulbs in the cluster being installed flip flopped mess with those? Or could the #74 in the temp controls be messing with them?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by BoostinChick
I like the green...

Which bulbs did you get for the gauge cluster?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 AM

But I didnt replace the ac/hazard bulbs. could the new bulbs in the cluster being installed flip flopped mess with those? Or could the #74 in the temp controls be messing with them?
No, it shouldn't. I would pull it and check the bulbs just to make sure they didn't blow out or nothing weird happened. As someone posted earlier most LED's are polarized, this means they only work one way. If they don't light up, you just flip them so the contact points power the bulb correctly. Should have no ill effects on other bulbs on different circuits.

Which bulbs did you get for the gauge cluster?
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...98445-1-2.html

Last edited by BoostinChick; 10-30-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by BoostinChick
No, it shouldn't. I would pull it and check the bulbs just to make sure they didn't blow out or nothing weird happened. As someone posted earlier most LED's are polarized, this means they only work one way. If they don't light up, you just flip them so the contact points power the bulb correctly. Should have no ill effects on other bulbs on different circuits.

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...98445-1-2.html
Bleh, I'll get in there at some point and look around. Thanks, I had not looked at that site before.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 AM

Looks awesome, and thanks for the email.

Do the hazard light and the A/C button require separate #74s?
Did you get the WLED xHP5 or just the WLED x5. The HP's have a 360 degree spread but I'm wondering if they would be too bright for the interior, they are SMD, does that mean anything?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 AM

Did you get the WLED xHP5 or just the WLED x5. The HP's have a 360 degree spread but I'm wondering if they would be too bright for the interior, they are SMD, does that mean anything?
SMT maybe?

http://www.v-leds.com/page/ledGuide.html#1
Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 AM

Hmmmmm, these are 194's not 74's, but you've got the same style for your 74's in your SR5 dash, so maybe they wouldnt be too bright.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/WLED-xHP5.htm
Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Im still running my blue leds from superbrite. WLED x5 194's for the cluster and turn signals, wedge 74's for the rest of the dash, brake, 4wd, hi-beam, ac/heater control and ashtray lights.

Quick Reply: LEDs in Dome/Cluster/etc.