Sponsored by: DashLynx

Late model Intake, supra afm, and long block

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I will look a little on my lunch today just to see what I can get
Old 01-08-2011, 12:51 PM

DUDE just got off the phone with the machine shop and they are going to try and hone out the intake manifold to match the 60mm TB, now if I could just find the TB I would be happy.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The throttle body will work from the 5m or 7m but the ones I have seen are booty fabbed. I want a little better so a slow work in progress. Match boring the intake to 60mm TB is no big deal. Maxbore.com is an alternative to LCE's over priced parts. LCE does not sale Thorley headers they sale LCE headers which are different design. Try Summit or DT directly though Summit's tech line is worth the extra couple bucks. You can port and polish the head, larger valves 1mm is about the limit SS is the gold standard, and a mild cam. You can send the nijectors to performancewitch.com alot cheaper than new after all the injector is the least likely component of EFI to go bad. Exhaust 2.25" or 2.5" both have supporters I have 2.25" but will rework it with mandable bends for flow improvement, I've run a glasspack for the last several years and its getting old and on my nerves so will replace when reworking exhaust. You can look at efan over the mechanical it will free up some ponies but some don't like them and I have had to be very careful, gone through three sets of controllers so not a big fan of Flex-a-lite. Still got the flexalite fan but homebrew controller no more problem
Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
The throttle body will work from the 5m or 7m but the ones I have seen are booty fabbed. I want a little better so a slow work in progress. Match boring the intake to 60mm TB is no big deal. Maxbore.com is an alternative to LCE's over priced parts. LCE does not sale Thorley headers they sale LCE headers which are different design. Try Summit or DT directly though Summit's tech line is worth the extra couple bucks. You can port and polish the head, larger valves 1mm is about the limit SS is the gold standard, and a mild cam. You can send the nijectors to performancewitch.com alot cheaper than new after all the injector is the least likely component of EFI to go bad. Exhaust 2.25" or 2.5" both have supporters I have 2.25" but will rework it with mandable bends for flow improvement, I've run a glasspack for the last several years and its getting old and on my nerves so will replace when reworking exhaust. You can look at efan over the mechanical it will free up some ponies but some don't like them and I have had to be very careful, gone through three sets of controllers so not a big fan of Flex-a-lite. Still got the flexalite fan but homebrew controller no more problem
So u saying the maxbore will bore my stock TB to 60mm and it will work? Why wouldn't I just re work a use 5m
Old 01-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CitrusTheDragon
So u saying the maxbore will bore my stock TB to 60mm and it will work? Why wouldn't I just re work a use 5m
Its really your choice. They can take stock TB to 58mm. And replace worn parts. Or you go for an '80s part that was never really intended to be refurbished, which I'm finding out as I'd like to do it myself. You tell me. Now do I send the 60mm TB with my stock TB and have him make a hybred? Might do that if I can find a donor for cheap.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Oh and besides if you do the math for area of Supra AFM opening, TB at 55mm/58mm/60mm/, area then area of 2.25" exhaust pipe (ID not OD) 58mm won't be restrictive. Had all the numbers on a scrap paper but guess it "grew legs"
Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 PM

Oh and besides if you do the math for area of Supra AFM opening, TB at 55mm/58mm/60mm/, area then area of 2.25" exhaust pipe (ID not OD) 58mm won't be restrictive. Had all the numbers on a scrap paper but guess it "grew legs"
the stock exhaust pipe size on the donor vehicles is the same size as the stock ones on our vehicles 2.25(57mm). Unless it had the aftermarket NON-smog legal header at 2.50(63mm) but following your logic the exhaust valve should be the same size and have the same duration as the intake, in reality they are much smaller and have less duration then the intake. So the 3mm or .12" difference between them is almost perfect for back pressure for the motor to run correctly, if you run boost then this setup would truly need to be reworked but not by much.

Last edited by CitrusTheDragon; 01-08-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by CitrusTheDragon
the stock exhaust pipe size on the donor vehicles is the same size as the stock ones on our vehicles 2.25(57mm). Unless it had the aftermarket NON-smog legal header at 2.50(63mm) but following your logic the exhaust valve should be the same size and have the same duration as the intake, in reality they are much smaller and have less duration then the intake. So the 3mm or .12" difference between them is almost perfect for back pressure for the motor to run correctly, if you run boost then this setup would truly need to be reworked but not by much.
the thought of back pressure is a farse, maybe it was needed in the old throttle plate single jet motors but not now you want the exhuast to have as little resistances as possible. You can get in trouble quick with changing duration in our EFI trucks. Lift will effect your torque curve I wanted mine low in the rpm range so 260* cam. Mines a DD/weekend wheeler.
http://www.mikekemper.com/elantra/diyexhaust/index.html

http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20...tech_notes.htm

Between these to will help you with some choices, after all Toyota dialed our engines in to work best in all possible situation. So start modifying and what works for me may not for you.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Ok I am not turning this in to a pissing contest but both those THEORIES can be swayed the way the writer wants them to. I Have spoken to my boss and to our shop manager both have said that back pressure is needed to make the engine run right and that there will be no need to change the exhaust size unless I want a different sound. Fact is I am not changing engine components I am just changing how easily air is delivered, the best I will need is a header that is tuned to the engine I.E. LCE, Thorely, Rock Ripper nothing truely more then stock. Oh and if you didn't know I work at one of the highest rate shops in SAC area.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM

You can use AFMs besides the '82 Supra. The '82 is the only bolt-on AFM, the others you have to do some gut swapping and soldering, which is what my spring project will entail.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 99blackSE
You can use AFMs besides the '82 Supra. The '82 is the only bolt-on AFM, the others you have to do some gut swapping and soldering, which is what my spring project will entail.
I have been pointed toward some really nice builds and should be able to write an awesome build tread when I am finish. Then I will list everything I did to the motor and post dyno results. I think boring/honing the manifold to match the TB is really going to help, along with a battery/intake swap and a 76mm elbow. Tons of pics, and I think I might even post my email if people need help with it. Believe it or not I am a really nice guy
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Cool, your truck, build it as you please. You live in the age of information search, try google, bing, ask..... see what you find. Maybe your bosses are right open the intake, cam, swap in a header, and stock pipe. Why ask advice here anyway sounds like you got all you need.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Cool, your truck, build it as you please. You live in the age of information search, try google, bing, ask..... see what you find. Maybe your bosses are right open the intake, cam, swap in a header, and stock pipe. Why ask advice here anyway sounds like you got all you need.
I think u have ur infomation wrong somewhere, I'm not doing a cam, and I'm not running stock pipe, just stock pipe size, free flow cat and still trying to decide on a muffler. The reason why I ask advice here is sometime people that have first hand knowledge can give you a place to start I can build off it. I have read many threads about the 5m TB working great, I have read many on the afm being great, many on headers, but I have yet to read anyone doing them all. So I thought I would ask on here and see where it got me
Old 01-08-2011, 09:56 PM

I'm not telling you anything I haven't don't to my truck. Yes, there was quite the difference between stock pipe and 2.25." If your not doing engine mods like cam, OS valves, and port/polish. Then your throttle body is not a choke point. I'm planning to do the 60mm TB swap, got it for good price off Ebay, just don't want a booty fab'd setup that has the potential to backfire everytime you let off the gas. , but might go that route afterall.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:00 PM

I'm not telling you anything I haven't don't to my truck. Yes, there was quite the difference between stock pipe and 2.25." If your not doing engine mods like cam, OS valves, and port/polish. Then your throttle body is not a choke point. I'm planning to do the 60mm TB swap, got it for good price off Ebay, just don't want a booty fab'd setup that has the potential to backfire everytime you let off the gas. , but might go that route afterall.
Mine is remand and will be build in a shop, I don't buy from junk yards when I can get better pricing from my vendors
Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 PM

Perhaps I sounded confusing, the 60mm throttle body I bought used. Engine is pro reman with about all the trimmings you can get and keep it able to pass smog. If you got a good line on new throttle bodies by all means let me know I may just throw them some business.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Perhaps I sounded confusing, the 60mm throttle body I bought used. Engine is pro reman with about all the trimmings you can get and keep it able to pass smog. If you got a good line on new throttle bodies by all means let me know I may just throw them some business.
Remand TB 59.98+tax Remand AFM 149.98+tax 90+ Intake Manifold 74.98+tax Port polished balanced long block 1250+tax Honed/Bored to 60mm manifold 125+tax. I work at an auto performance and repair shop somethings are pretty far but we can get just about anything remand or do it in house pretty easy
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM

Is that shop prices or public? Thats a good price on the TB. Would be interested in the future for one.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 PM

Is that shop prices or public? Thats a good price on the TB. Would be interested in the future for one.
those are my prices. We can remand in house for about the same price. I am think I might just have my TB hone and bore to max if I can. Looks like LCE has one that is 59mm at one end and 58.5mm at the other. I am just going to get one and see if it can be done
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 PM

Post up some pics on the disassembly of the TB. Would be interested in seeing how the passenger linkage comes off.

Quick Reply: Late model Intake, supra afm, and long block