Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: You use a K&N Filter on your 2nd generation and.....
K&N air filter gave initial performance improvement, no long term loss of performance.
36.84%
K&N air filter gave initial performance improvement, but after multiple cleanings, lost performance
3.76%
K&N air filter gave no change in initial performance
16.54%
I do not use K&N air filters
42.86%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use to use it, and didnt see any performance increase. I agree, dont use it in the SW. Dirt particles are real fine and get past the K&N.

Once I noticed the fine particles in the tubing I immediately switched back to toyota filter. Maybe it was just me not keeping it completely oiled or something. But its too much of a hassle to see if its properly oiled every week.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:48 AM

I installed a K&N at the same time i did my deakplate and ISR. Noticed maybe 1-2 MPG and thats about it.

Other than the fact that it now sounds like a hopped up V8.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tron
I installed a K&N at the same time i did my deakplate and ISR. Noticed maybe 1-2 MPG and thats about it.

Other than the fact that it now sounds like a hopped up V8.

do you have your gas log info? If you're getting that much I'd like to see it.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:36 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
People - note that this question is posed for SECOND GENS.

Your filter options are OEM or K&N drop ins, K&N FIPK, or snorkel. (Well, OK, I guess you could custom fab something).

Deckplate mod is impossible on the 3.0.

I switched to K&N because I got tired of having a hard time finding OEM replacements.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:51 PM

the one i had my supra was an open element so it got cleaned about every few months. the one on my truck is a drop in and i havent cleaned it yet, has been there since about march. and i have never seen any reidue in none of my intakes. the supra motor was torn down twice in the 8yrs i owned it w/ the k&n on it since day one. i think most people dont service them properly.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Uncle!

Ok you guys.... I'm convinced.

I'll be switching out of my K&N on my '85 at the next change, and not be putting one in, on the '94 4Runner...

Just the thought that I'm risking a fine dirt powder getting into the oil, of which we have plenty on our roads, and that the oil filter won't pull that out either, convinces me that its not worth taking the risk.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by mr toytech
<SNIP>
. i think most people dont service them properly.

But you don't wheel your Supra in the SW where there talcum powder sized dust and TONS of it.
That'll get through no matter how it's serviced.

Fred
Old 10-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

OEM filter

Parts Warehouse lists the OEM manufacturer as Denso.

This is their listing:
Air Filter
Denso (OEM) $18.86

Vehicle:
1994 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD SR5

Fits Engine - Chassis:
3VZE — VZN13#

Description:

Year: 4/1989-10/1995

Is that right, Denso makes it? Price is not bad. Seems like the way to go, after sorting through a zillion comments on yotatech.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Ok everybody... it seems that the only group reporting serious problems is folks based in the southwest [desert country]. The fine particulate matter in this area seems to be the problem. It appears to me that for drivers in these regions or those who plan to run on the beach a lot [ surf fishermen etc.] might be better served with another type of filter, but for the rest of us the K&N would be a viable option.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

The only reason only SW people are reporting problems is because everybody else doesn't know that it's not filtering as well.

It's like the oil filter poll thread. Somebody said..."I use a (insert random stupid oil) and a fram filter every time, and it works fine lol!"

Well, the fram oil filter doesn't work fine, and the point is that the person who said that had no idea what was going on inside the filter since he was neither the oil or the oil filter and he didn't do oil analysis, or cut the filters and do a comparative study.

All of this stuff has been done, and the general researched conclusion that I've came to based on the options for my 22RE is that

a) the K&N filter allows more air to flow through it than a paper filter. Increases intake noise and allows more dirt to pass through while giving hardly any proven increases in HP. Gains in MPG are also a joke.

b) The paper filters let less air in, but they filter MUCH better than the K&N and you don't lose any hp. Plus the intake is quiter. Plus paper filters are cheap. A paper filter with the proper elbow or deckplate type mods would yeild the same or better air flow with a greater filtration than the K&N.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
But you don't wheel your Supra in the SW where there talcum powder sized dust and TONS of it.
That'll get through no matter how it's serviced.

Fred
no i didnt wheel my supra but, i do wheel my truck in the midwest and havent had any problems w/ my k&n YET!!. and i have had the intake off a few times and it has been as clean as the day i rebuilt the motor every time. and k&n has advertised that there filters actually work better w/ some dirt on them. i read that somewhere in the past.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FIPK equipped down here....LOVE mine!

In hot weather my truck used to absolutely DIE. After FIPK, it would run quite well! Cold weather saw no change in level of accelleration. But when the temps were 95+*F in gainesville in traffic in the sun, yeah HUGE difference!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:39 PM

hijack
bumpin yota, do you live in gville?
hijack
Old 10-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Banned

I'll be soooo glad when this thing closes, it's clogging up the rest of the tech forum with this I like Coke better than Pepsi crap. I've run both filters and I have to say it's nice not to have to go buy one when I do maint. My KN came with a sheet that said I would get 5HP, if you can feel 5HP in your truck I'll kiss your ass. For those of you that say it didn't filter the microscopic dust particles out, send it back with your receipt and get your money back. I held out as long as I could but after 4 days of this BS I couldn't wait anymore. Now can we solve some real tech problems now?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
hijack
bumpin yota, do you live in gville?
hijack
I used to till december of 03. Im hoping to go back to go to pharmacy school. You?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 PM

i'm currently running a k&n fipk on my 96 runner and am loving it. i noticed an instant improvement in power. the only thing i didn't like with the kit was the extra noise. after two days of having to yell to talk to my kids in the back seat while driving, i went to good ol wal mart and spent about 10 bucks on no slide shelf liner, a roll of pipe insulation, and a roll of aluminum hvac tape. i wrapped the liner first to stop vibration, pipe insulation to reduce the noise, and the tape to hold it together and block heat from the motor. huge improvement on noise now the only time i hear the intake is when my foot is to the floor or when towing. the sw dust thing can be solved by buying a pre-filter also made by k&n. they work very well, i know many duners that swear by these. hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:20 AM

could you post some pics?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
I used to till december of 03. Im hoping to go back to go to pharmacy school. You?
yep, just got up here about a year and a half ago, been loving it ever since. if you ever visit we should go ride in grove park or ocala

/hijack
Old 11-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

For what it's worth, I am currently running a TRD (re-badged K&N) and I will be going back to OEM next oil change. Any supposed gains are not worth the crap I cleaned out of the intake tube a few days ago.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:11 PM

Seeing that K&N's seem to be getting the overall thumbs down, can anyone reccomend a good non-K&N cone filter? Are the Fram Air-Hogs any better?

Yes, I want a cone filter. I'm going to be setting up my turbo to run without an AFM, so using the stock 22RE airbox would require more fabbing than it's worth. So a straight 3" pipe with a cone filter on the end seem the best.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter