86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ignition lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ignition lock cylinder

well i lost my key chain in the process of getting my all of my vehicles keyed by a lock smith as i didn't have spares for anything doh. well anyway on my Toyota i don't know if the key for the ignition was the same as the doors as i don't think i have ever locked the doors, so i was thinking about just replacing the ignition lock cylinder insted of having the lock smith do that one. he will charge more if the door key is different than the ignition. anyone know how much a new lock cyl is and how hard the old one is to get out, its probably going to be easyer than most iv done as its not in the colum.... 89 toyota pu
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
So you don't have any keys now?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do like I did, and find someone parting their truck out get the door locks and ignition tumbler. They should be the same key though unless someone swapped doors out or vice versa. Call a junkyard or check the classified section on here. Probably cost you more to re-key then to buy the whole set used.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 AM

exactly no keys the lock smith is booked up he is going to do my f250 tomorrow. and is going to charge me about $75 i figure it would be cheaper on my Toyota to just replace the lock cyl. if its like the steering column ignitions ill probably have to drill that pin out that holds it in place. i haven't taken anything apart im hoping somone will tell me i can get an aftermarket lock cyl for 15 bucks or somthing and that its pretty easy to get out being in the dash

edit i don't keep anything valuable in the Toyota not even a nice stereo so i never lock the doors so i don't really care about door locks.

Last edited by Ezrider_92356; 11-17-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Dude, I paid $30 for both doors and ignition with a key! Hit someone up on here. If its not your daily, let it sit for week until you get the parts. Check the classifieds. There is 2 or 3 people parting cars right now, I guarantee it. Don't pay a locksmith! Check craigslist or something.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 AM

the Toyota is not my daily driver, my f250 diesel is however witch is why im paying a lock smith for that one. if anyone has an ignition for sale 89 Toyota ill gladly buy it. also if anyone has an ignition for an 82 Honda gold wing i need keys for that too. luckily i leave my boat key in the ignition so i still have that key, i need to figure out something for my camper to. and when i get everything straitened out im getting about 5 sets made....lol luckily i have spares for everything but the 2 trucks the motorcycle and the camper. i only have 1 key for the boat but that never leaves the ignition maby i should get a spare for that one too

Last edited by Ezrider_92356; 11-17-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Staff

Before you do anything....see if you can figure out if the doors matched the ignition. If so, get the lock code off the pass lock cylinder and call the dealer. They will cut you a new key, and VIOLA! $5 later you can drive again.

I know you said you are not sure, but maybe its worth the $5 to try just in case they do match. Thats better than the $75 for a locksmith to do it.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

hmmm

The Ford dealer cut me a new key using my VIN (along with current registration and my drivers license....all photocopied for security). Cost me about $30 (can't be older than 10 years)
Old 11-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Staff

Ford and Toyota may be different. I can still get keys cut for 20 year old cars. In fact, i had them cut me a key for an MR2 I bought at a Tow auction, and its a 1991. Granted, i have a special relationship with the dealer. But, anyone with a VIN and that code should be good to go.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the key code on old toyota's is sometimes under the door handle ie take off the inner door panel and remove the handle.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Staff

On his truck its on the lock cylinder on the pass side.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 PM

i have a 1989 pickup ,on mine the ignition and doors are separate keys,
Old 11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by vtjeenyus
i have a 1989 pickup ,on mine the ignition and doors are separate keys,
Then yours has been changed. All toyotas come from the factory having to only use one key
Old 11-17-2008, 01:12 PM

I also have an '89 and the doors and ignition take the same key! I'm the original owner so the locks have never been changed out.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 PM

I wanted a spare key so I took the VIN to my dealer. 5 minutes later I had a brand new key. Take your registration with you to prove it is your car.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Then yours has been changed. All toyotas come from the factory having to only use one key
Our 87 2wd has a door key and ignition key. The door key works on both doors and we have a factory locking gas door.

Both keys are OEM ... say TOYOTA on our main set and factory spare set.

fyi

My pickup has one key. for doors and ignition.

And ignition lock cylinders are around 100 bucks from Toyota. I just put one in a Rav4. I dont know about our cylinders, since I've never taken mine out but on the rav, you turn the key to ACC and push the pin in and it pulls out. Very simple, i imagine ours are similar.

Last edited by drew303; 11-17-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

I paid 80 for a new cylinder (autozone), needed the old key to get the old cylinder out.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by drew303
Our 87 2wd has a door key and ignition key. The door key works on both doors and we have a factory locking gas door.

Both keys are OEM ... say TOYOTA on our main set and factory spare set.

fyi

My pickup has one key. for doors and ignition.

And ignition lock cylinders are around 100 bucks from Toyota. I just put one in a Rav4. I dont know about our cylinders, since I've never taken mine out but on the rav, you turn the key to ACC and push the pin in and it pulls out. Very simple, i imagine ours are similar.

That doesn't mean they have not been changed.

Toyota ignition and doors are all keyed the same. Always have been. If you have two keys, its been changed. Plain and simple.

FWIW, if he doesn't have the key, he won't be able to turn the ignition to "ACC"
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM

normally if you don't have the key you have to drill out the little pin that retracts when you put the key in the acc position. that means that you have to take off all the trim around the lock cyl. anyone had to do this on a Toyota.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:27 PM

wanted to chime in on this one.

we just had our ignition/door key break off in the lock cylinder..
i read all the stuff on here and researched replacement cylinders if i was unable to get the key out.
we tryed thin tweezers and paperclips and hooks and thin tools galore but the key would not come...

finally i just popped off the surrounding cover for the ignition key terminal[just has 2 tabs],the i unscrewed the bottom dassh covering from underneath the steering wheel[3-4 screw and one bolt. and then i pulled that down out of the way and just let it hang there instead of totally removin it.
you want to remove it enuff so that u can get a pointy tool directly under the cylinder..
underneath the cylinder there is a hole and in it is a the notorious pin everyone talks about..
now just gently push on the pin and it will move up and down a little..while you are doin this put the other half of the broken key in the ignition and gently wiggle it to get it to go to the acc. position..

i know some people say that they cant get it to turn but i was in the same boat and i gotta tell ya that if you are persistent and gentle it WILL turn..

now as it turns keep nudging the pin in and out gently[coaxing is the key word here].

when it lines up the cylinder will slide right out as you now pull the key and wedge it at the same time against the inside of the cylinder wall..
the whole unit comes out and if you wanna try to get the broken half of the key out now that the cylinder is out then be my guest but ib couldnt get mine out and it was all thrashed from being so old that i decided to get a new cylinder...

now if you wanna drive yer truck till you get a new one all you have to do is put a pair of needle nose plyers into the hole you just created ,by pulling out the cylinder ,and turn the tab at the back of the hole in the same way you would your key!!
i didnt wanna wait forever so i went to shucks website and they have a 50 dollar cylinder lock by neihoff posted so i went to the store itself and asked if it was in stock...
it was in stock and i payed the 50 bucks and then went out to the 4runner and popped the new cylinder right in..make sure you have the tab at the back of the hole lined up to acc. and make sure you have the new key that is in the new cylinder lined up to acc..then just slide it in and click,your good..

put back your dash pieces and enjoy your new lock....i also bought some graphite for my new lock and for the door locks that are stiff cuz they caused the key to weaken in the first place3...now im gonna order new door cylinders as well so all will be new and graphite lubed!....thought my exp. might help someone as most people who post only say "it is so easy" and then they dont guide very detailed..anyway there you go!

Quick Reply: ignition lock cylinder