86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ignition cylinder interchangeability ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ignition cylinder interchangeability ??

Proof of how a little sleep deprivation can really add some interest to your day.
Yesterday I was headed to work, stopped at a grocery store for lunch and when I turned off the truck and pulled the key out the key warning buzzer kept ringing even with the key out. Why you ask? The key had broken off and the remaining bit was stuck.
My solution? I tried to get it to work again by shoving the remaining piece back in. Suprisingly, it worked. Now the sleep deprivation part. Since it worked I decided it was ok to go into the store. So, naturally I put the cell phone in the console, rolled up the window, locked the door and you can guess the rest.
It didn't even dawn on me until I was in the store that I had just locked myself out of the 4Runner and had no cell phone to call for help. Luckily, an employee let me use the phone inside and my wife pulled my moronic keyless butt out of the fire.
This morning I pulled the ignition cylinder out, drilled the rivets and little set screw, pulled out the core and with a little assist from a paper clip pushed out the broken-off piece. I put it all back together, used a self tapping screw to put it back together again and much to my surprise it all works fine.
The problem now is I have no spare key anymore and although it works ok, while checking the cylinder while it was out it was clear that the key that I am currently using isn't cut very well.
So, 15yr old lock, key that isn't cut very well so copies are going to take some extra cutting to make work better than the "original copies", and my lack of faith in my mechanical skills have me considering just buying a new cylinder.
So far, my parts searching on the net has only come up with Beck-Arnley knock-offs and various parts at various prices with no pics at other websites.
Anybody know a good place to find OEM replacements (other than the stealership although it is a final option if necessary) and if there are other Toyotas with similar locksets? You know how it goes, sometimes if you buy a part for a Camry it costs more even though it'll fit a pickup.
Any info would help.
Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may try going to your stealership with your VIN and proof of ownership of the vehicle, and they may be able to cut a brand new key for you.
Did that for my 91 about 4-5 months ago and got 2 keys for 10 bucks.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 PM

If you were here right now I could cut you a new key with the broken pieces you have

Another option would be to take the passenger door lock out. There is a code on the lock for the cuts on the key. Take it either to a dealer, or a competent locksmith.

When I bought my 4Runner I had to do the same thing since the key I was given from the PO was so badly cut and off-spaced I was unable to de-code it to make an original key.

Last edited by JohnRaven; 08-21-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I was wondering how to come up with a code since I don't have the original key(s) to the truck and I really don't want to wind up with one key for the doors and a different one for the ignition.
I was surprised when I didn't notice anything that seemed like a code on the ignition cylinder. Granted I was in a hurry to get it fixed. It was my son's first day of Kindergarten and I wanted to be able to take him there instead of riding the bus and my '85 4Runner currently has some interesting lane changing braking characteristics that have me not driving it unless I absolutely have to.
Naturally, I forgot to put lube back on the cylinder in my rush to finish and although the switch itself is working fine the key detector slide is sticking so I get a nice annoying buzz when I get out of the truck. A little shot of some lock lube should clear that up.
BTW, I learned another lesson today. If you are working on something with small unfamiliar parts, sweep your garage floor before you start! That slide piece slipped out and camouflaged itself with dust, fluff, tiny bits of leaves and assorted odds and ends. When I finally found it I didn't even know what it was for a while....I need a nap LOL!
Guess I'll make a couple phone calls tomorrow.