Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IFS lift vs SAS

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation IFS lift vs SAS

I NEED HELP deciding which one i getbest peformance from. i am looking at doing a lift so i can fit 33s. so i have compiled several choices from different companies to choose from.

OME complete lift:
4runner OME Suspension:
Includes F&R Shocks, Front Torsion bars, Rear springs,
Bushings, Steering Dampener
COST: HD $925.00us

Skyjacker 4" IFS Lift
IFS drop bracketry, front diff drop brackets, ff & rr shocks w/boots, sway bar drop kit, rear blocks & u-bolts (86-89 models) or rear coils and spacer kit (90-95 models).
Deluxe package: $1157.00
Items in Standard package plus steering stabilizer, poly tie rod boots and sway bar bushings (90-95 models also include rear sway bar bushings) and
Premium Package: $1471.32
All items in above kits plus HD torsion bars and stainless steel brake lines. 1986 - 1989 also includes rear Skyjacker? Softride? leaf springs, u-bolts and shackle bushings.

Trail Gear IFS Eliminator 3 or 4" lift
NOT INCLUDING AXLE!?! COST $1099.00us
Trail Gear Rear Leaf Spring kit 3 or 4" Lift
COST: $599.00us

SuperLift 4" IFS lift kit
COST: $1507.66us
Lower Control Arm Brace 89-91 Toyota IFS: $51.88us
Skid Plate, For 7085 Kit 86-96 Toyota: $126.32us

These are only a few i have thought of going with. What i would like to know is which is the best for reliability, less likely to cause quicker wear on some parts. How much more does a front Axle set one back? i have a limited budget and i want to get the best bang for my buck. all of this still does not include the price for the REAR lift, but whats a few springs and shocks. maybe lets see some pic of people who run these systems.

i like how the skyjacker includes the parts for the rear lift as well. so i am thinking either Skyjacker or OME.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In belize? No idea how much an axle costs there. In the US, they can be had for around 150-200.

Perhaps you could list what you hope to accomplish with this. Is the truck for rock crawling? General Wheeling? High Speed?

I run the OME front. Its nothing to write home about.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... and you can fit 33's with no lift. So long as they're 33x10.50 mounted on the factory rims (or rims with the same backspacing)
Old 08-23-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
limited budget? i wish my budget was limited to 1000 bucks. lol. course i need about 15 grand right now for a new truck, however, thats besides the point.

if your just lookin for some extra ride height to fit the tires, u can do that for a LOT less. check bj spacers, shackles, ect, and you'll see you can add room to fit the 33's just fine easy for more like 200 dollars. then u can send me the other 800.

^_^
Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SAS is big bucks, imho IFS is fine for most of us unless your into rock crawling.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
I NEED HELP deciding which one i getbest peformance from. i am looking at doing a lift so i can fit 33s. so i have compiled several choices from different companies to choose from.

OME complete lift:
4runner OME Suspension:
Includes F&R Shocks, Front Torsion bars, Rear springs,
Bushings, Steering Dampener
COST: HD $925.00us

Skyjacker 4" IFS Lift
IFS drop bracketry, front diff drop brackets, ff & rr shocks w/boots, sway bar drop kit, rear blocks & u-bolts (86-89 models) or rear coils and spacer kit (90-95 models).
Deluxe package: $1157.00
Items in Standard package plus steering stabilizer, poly tie rod boots and sway bar bushings (90-95 models also include rear sway bar bushings) and
Premium Package: $1471.32
All items in above kits plus HD torsion bars and stainless steel brake lines. 1986 - 1989 also includes rear Skyjacker? Softride? leaf springs, u-bolts and shackle bushings.

Trail Gear IFS Eliminator 3 or 4" lift
NOT INCLUDING AXLE!?! COST $1099.00us
Trail Gear Rear Leaf Spring kit 3 or 4" Lift
COST: $599.00us

SuperLift 4" IFS lift kit
COST: $1507.66us
Lower Control Arm Brace 89-91 Toyota IFS: $51.88us
Skid Plate, For 7085 Kit 86-96 Toyota: $126.32us

These are only a few i have thought of going with. What i would like to know is which is the best for reliability, less likely to cause quicker wear on some parts. How much more does a front Axle set one back? i have a limited budget and i want to get the best bang for my buck. all of this still does not include the price for the REAR lift, but whats a few springs and shocks. maybe lets see some pic of people who run these systems.

i like how the skyjacker includes the parts for the rear lift as well. so i am thinking either Skyjacker or OME.

Mmmm, big lift, limited budget, those probably don't belong in the same paragraph together.

Throw a 2" bl on it and you'll be able to run 33's with the same flex that you have now.
Relative inexpensive, very reliable, easy.

Fred
Old 08-23-2007, 06:49 PM

get your lift from roughcountry !cheapest ever and it comes with everything even shocks. 4inch ,ish. and damn its good quality.exept for the shocks there pretty reliable,but they sure are rough on the normal road.i got my set for like 600 bux. and then i got bj spacers and shackles.dont do SAS if you daily drive your ride,seriously.its not worth it.dont be fooled by my old pic,but i had no bjspacers and no longer shackle,im about to update my pic.and yea i daily drive this.every day from house to work,and i like it,the ride comfy is not really changed,i gotta say dont crank your t-bar,it will only get more rough on the road,for not even one full inch of lift.

Last edited by Chief_Yota; 08-23-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

well, down here, a few times a year they have a HARD CORE, snap the axles, blow the engine competition, and i dont intend in joining it till i win the lotto, but on the side they have a hard/soft core trail for people who love their vehicles! and the prize is about $1-5000 cash for your rig, i dont know what to expect, but my main road to my hous is a washboard so i need to know basiclly, what will last me longer, it is going to take me a yearor soto save for this mod, but it is the top of my to do list. the reason i want to run 33s is to improve ground clearance Safely. so i think i will do the superlift deluxe package. but should i change the rear coils to leafs? does this improve only articulation and nothing else?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chief_Yota
dont do SAS if you daily drive your ride,seriously.its not worth it.
how come?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If the roads are like washboards dont do a sas. It will handle like ass over bumps like that, sas is best for slow rockcrawling.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

well, down here, a few times a year they have a HARD CORE, snap the axles, blow the engine competition, and i dont intend in joining it till i win the lotto, but on the side they have a hard/soft core trail for people who love their vehicles! and the prize is about $1-5000 cash for your rig, i dont know what to expect, but my main road to my hous is a washboard so i need to know basiclly, what will last me longer, it is going to take me a yearor soto save for this mod, but it is the top of my to do list. the reason i want to run 33s is to improve ground clearance Safely. so i think i will do the superlift deluxe package. but should i change the rear coils to leafs? does this improve only articulation and nothing else?
I have a PRO COMP STAGE II lift it came with everything needed to do the lift (shocks and steering stabilizer included) it cost me 940 us I started with 32 x 11.5's looked good worked well them stepped up to 33 x 12.5's much more aggressive look and still very capable for ifs did well on the washboard road to the farm as well (only about a mile )

Then went to the 35 x 12.5's I have now and love it. The places I could not get into with the 33's are like a cake walk with the 35's that extra 1/2 ground clearance don't sound like much but makes the difference when you need it.

I drive this truck every day like a car its my main source of transportation I drive in stop and go traffic up hills down hills Thur city on freeway and love the ride.

The point I am trying to get across to you is with the 4" lift you have lots of choices on what you can do with it tire wise and still maintain a daily driver and weekend play toy. Spare tires and rims plus a bit more ground clearance for the competition you were talking about hint hint.

I was gonna do the sas and still may but after looking into how I use it it seems to be the best possible answer for me and probably most others here who still drive it daily.

Anyway hope that gives you a little more to think about and helps you with your choice in lifting your truck.

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-25-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:25 AM

Hummm

Well after spending nearly $900 on my 89 runner to lift it about two inches, I would say that the best bang for the buck would be the solid axle swap. I will be cutting off the ifs on my runner and using the interior and front axle that is from the other truck in my signature. And swapping to a 22re for maintainance ease and parts availability. Solid axles are easier to work on, less prone to breakage, and provide more flexibility in the suspension. I wish I would have just swapped the axle in the first place.

Brandon
Old 08-26-2007, 04:44 AM

What i would like to know is which is the best for reliability, less likely to cause quicker wear on some parts.

The only answer to that question is an SAS...
Old 08-26-2007, 09:24 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have two '93 V6 4Runners, one IFS, one SAS

Originally Posted by Bdog
Solid axles are easier to work on
WRONG. Absolutely, 100% wrong. Can change a CV in less than an hour. You're looking at almost twice that to change a Birf. To drop a diff for R&P work is about the same.

less prone to breakage,
Maybe, if you spend about $2000 on the SFA to put Longfields, diff armor, high steer, and some other upgrades on it. Stock to stock, they're more equivalent than the web wheelers would lead you to believe.

and provide more flexibility in the suspension.
Probably, but not necessarily - depends on how you do the suspension. Stock to stock, the flex is about the same.

I haven't seen anything from the OP that convinces me he needs either an IFS lift nor a SAS. Going to a taller tire will deliver most all of the benefit on the washboard for way less money.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
after lots and lots of reading here and on other forums, i decided that i'll wheel the crap out of my IFS until i start to break it frequently, or until it seriously limits my wheeling.

instead of SAS, i'm doing gears, then tires. (at the same time i do the rear gears, i'm retrofitting an e-locker)

-shaeff
Old 08-28-2007, 05:25 PM

You're obviously better off financially than 99.8% of the rest of the Belize population.

Tell us more about the contest you want to win.. What sort of torture do they usually put the trucks through?

The type of challenge can really help determine what direction you'll need to take your truck. Trucks that run rocks are radically different than trucks that see deep water or mud.

$1500 is the "get started" point of a decent lift...
Old 08-28-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381

$1500 is the "get started" point of a decent lift...

Very true.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
If the roads are like washboards dont do a sas. It will handle like ass over bumps like that, sas is best for slow rockcrawling.
Thats a load of B.S. I daily drove my SAS'd pickup and it drove better than stock and the I.F.S. lift I had on it.

If you want 33's do what TC, and other, did to his. I wouldn't waste your money on a drop bracket lift. SAS like others have said is not "cheap" and there is a lot of tweaking after you are done. If I had known about (my own dubbing) TC's mod i would have gone that route and not done the IFS lift and done some other mods like lockers. I think TC's runner with stock suspension and lockers was probably better on the street and off road than my SAS'd pickup. My $.02
Old 08-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Just letting my stance be known. My IFS will in a few months have a new home in a scrap pile.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:28 PM

washboard eh?

if your main worries are washboard and slightly larger tires, in reality an sas is pretty over the top. for all you guys saying that sas rides really harsh, did you ever think of using a landcruiser front axle with coils and a 4 link? cause my buddy has that front and rear and his runner rides like a caddy. all Im saying is look at what you need... get bigger tires and ride em at 25 psi ... that'll feel good on the bumps. or get a steering stabilizer, that makes the most difference on washboard in my opinion.

Quick Reply: IFS lift vs SAS