Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

If you had $1300 credit at 4x4 shop would you???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you had $1300 credit at 4x4 shop would you???

OK so I did some work (signs) for a 4x4 shop and they gave me $1300 credit on top of the $ down.
I have a basically stock 94 4-runner burgundy 31x10.5x15 at wild country's and thats it!

Heres a list of items I just need to sort and do! Obviousley not on $1300 LMAO but help me assemble a list for the $1300 spend.

Any other thoughts are appreciated as far as what to do to it.

BJ spacers
FJ80 coils
Locker front
gears
32 or 33" tires
1" BL

Unfortunently a engine swap or SAS is way too much and out of the ? right now so good ol BJ/BL/FJ80 set up will have to work, besides I dont plan on doing any real nasty wheeling right now anywase. Push some snow and an occasional muddy trail.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:26 PM

Lockers.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Or you could do a cheap sas pretty easily.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Front locker (already own a rear one), then with the money left over, I do a drivetrain lift.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
in the order I'd do (depending on balance remaining): locker rear, locker front, bj spacers & coils, gears, body lift, 33's
Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
armor (slider, bumpers etc) and an SAS...
Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM

How much do SAS's run usually? Parts/Labor

I could do front/rear lockers and possibly gears if negotiated right! Possibly more trading for signs, then it looks like lift/tires if not a SAS!

What lockers??? I had a true trac front that I loved in the snow and harsh stuff a couple of years ago. BTW Its a Automatic!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats what I am about to spend in the next month or two.

4.88's and swingout rear tire carrier.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Bullcrew~

That rig in your avatar looks a lot different now....there's only about half of it left

Sounds like you trying to build your old rig?

Last edited by Yota Runner; 09-17-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lockers for sure. I guess how much you spend depends on what kind of lockers. If you want selectable lockers, most of your credit is gone, whereas an automatic in the rear would be considerably less. But seeing as you are driving a lot in the snow, you might want to go with the selectables.

I wish I was in your situation right now!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please tell me that the sign you did was for Bucks 4x4 in Garden City. Those clowns have been using a cheap banner tied to the pre-existing tire store sign since they took over that location.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

You looking to just use the 1300 for parts and do the labor yourself? Thats what I would do. I just did a gear a locker install a couple of weekends ago. Put a true trac up front, (I had already put a lock rite in the back some years back) and 5.29 gears. I would buy the gears, get a tru trac for the front (from 4wheel parts its about a grand for gears and rebuild kits front and rear and the tru trac) thats what I paid anyways, then for another 300 bucks you can get a lunchbox locker for the rear which will be your $1300 roughly. If your not up to doing the gear swap yourself you can at least remove the rear third and front axle and take it in to the local 4wd shop and have them set it up. Will be cheaper than just dropping of the vehicle. Later on you can get ball joint spacers (about $100 i think) and then either new springs in the rear or a shackle lift for now. That would put the total at probably $1500 for just parts. Not sure about labor. You could probably do everything for a little over $2000 with labor as long as you remove the third and front axle yourself. If anybody can correct my estimate feel free but I think its pretty close ont he parts at least.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 AM

rear ARB would about do it for me hahaha. If you wheel often you could get an automatic locker like a lock right or a detroit locker. I would level the truck and put a good set of springs and shocks on it. I leveled my truck and love the ride now. kinda soft, but i like how it squats with the soft shocks in the back. I get hardly any wheel spin going around corners when i am on the throttle because the backend squats so hard. If i could do it again, i would put on some OME torsion bars, keep it level, but have the stiffer torsion bars. Would help the ride a bit.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:34 AM

I would definitely spend the credit on parts and not labor to get the most bang for the free buck. I would also focus on parts that you would normally have to find at full price. Tires go on sale, coils can be found in the classifieds here for under $100 - same with BJ spacers. Things like lockers, rock rails, bumpers are normally full price. I'd focus my energy there. No point in spending full price on parts you can easily pick up used.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wardriver
I would definitely spend the credit on parts and not labor to get the most bang for the free buck. I would also focus on parts that you would normally have to find at full price. Tires go on sale, coils can be found in the classifieds here for under $100 - same with BJ spacers. Things like lockers, rock rails, bumpers are normally full price. I'd focus my energy there. No point in spending full price on parts you can easily pick up used.

Good point about getting things that dont usually go on sale.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 AM

x2...get parts over labor!

if it is bucks, i wouldn't spend a ton of time trying to get cozy with 'em. they're decent enough guys, but i've never been impressed with their work or their service. wheeled with them a couple times and i walked away thinking "boy, if i never buy anything from them again, i'd be doing alright in life." just my opinion though. hope it helps.

if it were me, i'd buy the parts you want (and i'd do the biggies like gears and lockers) then make your way over to jim's driveline on chinden and have him install them. does awesome work at great prices. he'll even cut you a deal for taking out your own third member. i guess the only rub would be if you wanted to continue to do business/wheel with the bucks guys, you'd probably make more enemies than friends. come to think of it, you might ask if you could buy the parts through them and if they'd cut you a deal on labor to install them (they're still going to make money on the deal since they didn't pay you full price on the signs and they'll make some profit on the parts/labor).

well, sorry that is such a long response...didn't intend to give you my whole $0.50 worth.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Yota Runner
Bullcrew~

That rig in your avatar looks a lot different now....there's only about half of it left

Sounds like you trying to build your old rig?
Yeah Nate chopped the crap outa it! Bobbed, SAS on 42's now. Hes putting a chevy motor in and a ton of other stuff as well. Going to be a beast!

Thats a good idea on the parts ie gears locker etc... I'll see how it plays out, and yes Id like to sort of duplicate my old 4-runner as it did phenominal for what it was and bang for the buck!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by idayota
x2...get parts over labor!

if it is bucks, i wouldn't spend a ton of time trying to get cozy with 'em. they're decent enough guys, but i've never been impressed with their work or their service. wheeled with them a couple times and i walked away thinking "boy, if i never buy anything from them again, i'd be doing alright in life." just my opinion though. hope it helps.

if it were me, i'd buy the parts you want (and i'd do the biggies like gears and lockers) then make your way over to jim's driveline on chinden and have him install them. does awesome work at great prices. he'll even cut you a deal for taking out your own third member. i guess the only rub would be if you wanted to continue to do business/wheel with the bucks guys, you'd probably make more enemies than friends. come to think of it, you might ask if you could buy the parts through them and if they'd cut you a deal on labor to install them (they're still going to make money on the deal since they didn't pay you full price on the signs and they'll make some profit on the parts/labor).

well, sorry that is such a long response...didn't intend to give you my whole $0.50 worth.

I like Jeff, he's a good guy! Likes his toys and a little tight but in this economy who isn't!
Im down to wheel with whoever, I just like to go out and explore!
Old 09-18-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not spend it. Cash only that way your not worrying about it down the road....
Old 09-18-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bullcrew
I like Jeff, he's a good guy! Likes his toys and a little tight but in this economy who isn't!
Im down to wheel with whoever, I just like to go out and explore!

So it is Bucks that is getting the new sign then?

Quick Reply: If you had $1300 credit at 4x4 shop would you???