86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I Got One!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I Got One!!!!!!

I just went and bought a 1986 SR5, 22re, 5 speed, ext cab, 4x4 with a camper shell, 171,000 miles (no worries), all the guages work as well as the AC and almost no rust!!!!!

The only things I have questions about are that it idles a little rough and is "squeeky" going over bumps. I'm thinking it needs a tune up and it needs to be greased, both of which I can do at the house.

So we're looking at what? Plugs, wires, some Seafoam in the intake and what else? I'm going to do an oil change (advice on filters and oil?) and check the front and rear diffs for fluid levels. Then it's down to the local truck wash to get some of that dust off of there so my wax will stick.

Oh and I'm going to need tires soon. Any decent off road tires in the 33/9.50/15 range out there? I'd like to stuff some 33's in there since the sticky says they'll fit the stock IFS and rear with no mods.

Thanks bunches and wish me luck!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The squeek is probably the tie-rods. They tend to make noise if they are old.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics pics pics? congrats man!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM

I would drop the trans fluid and put in the best synthetic 75/90 or whatever you can find (I use Lucus 75-90 but there are lots of others). Input bearings go on these trans and this is your best defence!!

Oh ya and pull the valve cover and check the plastic timing chain guides.

Last edited by Flash319; 03-11-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

you might have urethane bushings in the upper and lower a-arms. they squeak a lot. oil and filter, well do a little search and get back to me in a few days after you have read all the post on that topic congrats, and now the work begins.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 PM

Got it home and loved the drive!!!!!

So here is the break down (no pun intended) so far.

I need new belts, guessing Gates V belts are still the best?

I need new upper and lower hoses to the radiator (personnal choice here even though the originals look ok).

The Pit-Cock on the radiator is leaking a little as well as some dampness around the top tank. I thinking a new Rad is in order although I've having a hard time sourcing one. Might have to go with a "recore rebuild".

Other than those things and the miss that it has I'm good. I'll do a full tune up this weekend and see if that gets rid of the miss. If not then it goes to Toyomasters here in Albuquerque for a front to back inspection. Oh and I've got a friend that has dealer prices on anything Amzoil so I know where my fluids and filters are coming from.

And just an FYI....... THIS THING ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup I'm already looking at tires and lockers...... we'll go wheeling and decide from there. I can't believe I'm already this excited after having it less than a day and already trying to decide how best to upgrade it for wheeling. Did I mention my neighbor offered to build new steel bumpers with recovery hooks and a rear tire carrier? Yeah he's a great guy to know.

As soon as I find the dang camera I'll have pic of my rig.

Now it's time for

edit. What exhaust are ya'll running?

Last edited by Junkers88; 03-11-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the new truck. Check out Performance Radiator on Candelaria east of the freeway just after the bike trail. I replaced both of mine with ones from them.

Post some pics!
Robb
Old 03-15-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
fan delete is a power upgrade.

the taurus elec fan is a cheap/benefit.

my stock 4x goes everywhere no-problem. no need to upgrade till you get stuck. i wonder if you will?

save the money for the girls and beers.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:29 PM

Still no pictures, I'll have to rip the house apart tomorrow to find the dang camera.

I went down to do the emissions today and failed by a very very fine margin. The upper limit on Hc was 2.00 and I hit 2.16 on the high end and 2.18 on the low. The guy told me to run a full tank of fuel through it and some injector cleaner in the tank and bring it back.

On a better note I've noticed an improvement over the last couple of days with regards to shifting and acceleration. I think since this thing sat for a while that its a little gummed up inside. Hope the high octane fuel and B12 injector treatment help clean it up. I replaced the radiator also and was amazed to find that I could do the swap with a couple of hand tools and 3 sockets. One socket seems to fit lots of different places on these rigs.

All I can say is that this little rig is enjoyable and I even get lots of looks from other 4x4's on the road.

I'll keep ya'll up to date on my build and post pic as soon as the camera shows up.

Laters!