Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Home Grown Air box/Snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ty lumpy... I don't want it to be able to suck water.. Don't know if you've seen how much rain the northeast has gotten in the past 2 days 9" in 2 days... when it is dry i will turn it around though.. what do you think of that piece off the chevy lol... Not bad for a guy just getting into doing fab and mods... now to find a better top and run the hose to a safer place.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I would put dome sort of fabbed up draincock in the very bottom though....because I would assume rainwater will still seep in.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:28 AM

ya i'm going to put a valve in.. at some point. need to work out some kinks. keeps the comments and suggestions coming please..
Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 AM

now, listen....I'm totally not qualified to give advice on this stuff....but.....I would do that drain thing like I said and maybe a little patch of screen inside the cap thing to keep the bees and stuff out and maybe somthing on the order of like a little sun-visor on the top....because water(rain or whatever) will follow the contour of that cap piece you have and end up inside.

BIG BLUE PILE got some sort of mushroom stove-pipe cap for his
Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by MuddinRI
i did read it. and still can't find where he got whatever that thing is. But whatever you don't want to say or something i guess. kinda gay.... Got the hole cut and used a piece of plastic intake off my friends chevy to come out of the fender. Right now i just have a rubber 90 on there now till i find something else. I did notice a huge difference in power by getting all that cold air in. and for those who say that the maf is restrictive come put your hand over my snorkel it sucks some serious air.
ok. this is my LAST attempt to assist you seperating your head from your colon. I KNOW that you DID NOT read my build thead and here it is AGAIN directly SPOON FED TO YOU. Kinda gay so it's in pink just for you.

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
So, it's mostly done!!!!! The only thing left is to cut the windshield wiper louver to accommodate the snorkel. Also, I have a couple other small projects that will clean up wiring and hide the AFM extension wiring.

With the filter box FINALLY connected and resting in its spot, I used another 3" nohub rubber coupling to connect another 90 degree pvc RV drainage fitting. This was WAY better than trying to get the flex ducting to bend around that corner.

YES, thats a stove pipe topper, but I bought that as a back up in case I couldn't get to making my own. For now it works great. I'm working with a company outta Bakersfield, CA that specifically SELLS intake hoods(bonnets, covers...etc-http://www.dnaparts.com/bonnets.htm).
<-------probably gonna get that one

With everything fully mounted, it's ready for the fender. It was a pretty tight fit at the pipe connection but workable. There's NO contact at the foward end of the fender. I made this setup fairly flexible but rigid enough that it doesn't RATTLE around. OR I catch a tree limb... I used two small "L" brackets to hold the snorkel stack in place. I painted everything with my favorite brand Duplicolor high temp ceramic rattle can.

I will put the wiper louver back on but that is the ONLY precise cut that I have to do and I'm taking my time. I also picked up a vent pipe boot similar to below and pulled the rubber out and slid it down over the pipe to help prevent water/rain into where...well...water and rain already gets! LOL! I may buy another one to have one on top of the louver and the one where it is now on the sub frame.

I've been driving the truck the last two days and I think I've piped in ATLEAST 20hp** Seriously though, I've noticed better throttle response(more likely due to the intake swap) and hopefully and improvement in MPG's. My exhaust tone seems to have gone a little deeper and less ricey. My compliments to DOWNEY OFFROAD(RIP)!!!! Also, the plexiglass box top is holding up and doesn't seem to want to implode. I CAN get it to bow in if I hold my hand over the 90 degree inlet at the fender. Atleast the top doesn't leak!! I'll post the louver cut when it's done.

Hope ya'll enjoyed the commentary and the project!

**translated as HAMPSTER Power...
Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
So what is that thing your using as a snorkel head??? the round black thing. and no i don;t mean that thing stuck in ur a...
Comments like that don't make people want to help you. Just sayin'

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
What do you mean Logan? He OBVIOUSLY read your thread. I totally remember you saying where you got that top for your snorkel at..... Oh, right..... Guess he didn't read it.

Posted again, for good measure.

i did read it. and still can't find where he got whatever that thing is. But whatever you don't want to say or something i guess. kinda gay.... Got the hole cut and used a piece of plastic intake off my friends chevy to come out of the fender. Right now i just have a rubber 90 on there now till i find something else. I did notice a huge difference in power by getting all that cold air in. and for those who say that the maf is restrictive come put your hand over my snorkel it sucks some serious air.
And why should he have to find it for you when you won't do ANY work and find it yourself. He helped you by linking the thread in post 2. Not that you read it.

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
ok. this is my LAST attempt to assist you seperating your head from your colon. I KNOW that you DID NOT read my build thead and here it is AGAIN directly SPOON FED TO YOU. Kinda gay so it's in pink just for you.
owned.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM

lol at logan BUT this is a great thread. its giving me the motivation to get a snorkel. its not like i do river crossings but its something that'd be really nice when you need it
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ya know...I like the Stove top better than the other one!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 AM

Don't get me wrong, he has some good ideas, but acting like a douche towards people that are TRYING TO HELP YOU is not always a good policy. Thats all I'm saying.

We have a lot of nice people here and a good, helpful community. Posts like the ones above saying people are KINDA GAY, are counter productive.

So far, snorkel looks good. I like the Chevy intake piece in there. I would have tried to punch horizontal out of the box instead of vertically. But if you are mudding instead of crawling, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 AM

Ok 1st off i never intended to insult anyone ( it was a joke). 2nd I do appreciate the help i get on here and all the knowledge behind it. I did read his post page for page about 6 times and never saw that link or pic he posted in this thread. Must have just skipped by it 6 times or i'm just stupid. Hope that clears things up and we can get back to business..
Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 AM

sounds like a plan.

Did you just use a rubber 90 from a hardware store on top of the Chevy piece?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 AM

yes i did. lol not sure if i like the setup or not. think i need to re think the pipe to the box though. i'm like the blind leading the blind here lol..
Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 AM

try it and see what you think. If its not getting enough air, turn it around and figure out a hood for puddles. since you are doing it mostly home made, you gotta fiddle with it and see what works.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 AM

ya i took it out in a monsoon yesterday for a bit. had a little moisture in there which is to be expected i guess but nothing serious. Ya it will be an experimental process i'm sure.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:53 AM

from the news I saw....you need that snorkel NOW!!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 AM

Question

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
from the news I saw....you need that snorkel NOW!!
huh? not sure what you mean exactly....
Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 AM

huh? not sure what you mean exactly....

I thought you guys were flooding...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 AM

ya i took it out in a monsoon yesterday for a bit. had a little moisture in there which is to be expected i guess but nothing serious. Ya it will be an experimental process i'm sure.

Where'd you get that idea, Jerry? hehehe Thats funny dude.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:16 AM

I know, I know, but the Northeast (just east of us thank goodness) was getting flooded.

I don't remember if it was Rhode Island or Long Island....I remember it was an island.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM

ya sorry head is in my colon today lol... well my oil pump just blew up...... Brand new too from engbldr. just did my rebuild 7k ago...... fffffffffff....... now to try to get the harmonic balance off........ ya was RI that got massive flood.. kinda funny my house was built in 1917 with a stone foundation and i got no water lol... next door brand new house got 5" boiler junk hot water tank junk... sucks

Quick Reply: Home Grown Air box/Snorkel