Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP! Overheated and white smoke is everywhere.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Overheated and white smoke is everywhere.

I'm almost positive my headgasket blew. But as always nobody knowsmore than you guys so i'd like your input on the subject.

I was driving down the highway doing about 65-70 when all of a sudden a ton of steam started pouring out of the coolant resevoir. as soon as i saw it i put it I pulled over and shut it down. the coolant in the resevoir was boiling and there was so much steam you couldn't see anything on the highway. I had it towed to the shop where I work(detailing). and replaced the thermostat in hope of that was all that was wrong. when i started it up for a few seconds its fine for a second or two then a ton of white smoke starts pouring out and i have a light ticking noise. like i said it sounds like a head gasket to me. could the ticking be a compression leak because of it?

any input would be much appreciated.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like headgasket to me. Drain the oil and look for coolant and foamy crud. Best of luck!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh, yeah -- bad news. I'm way too familiar with blowing head gaskets, and you my friend have likely joined the dubious club. I'm assuming the temp gauge went to the red?

Ed
Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 AM

yea. but it shot up extremely quick. it was fine and then boom red and steam pouring out of the engine. at first i just thought my thermostat went but apparently its alot more than that. is there anything else i should get done while they're fixing the HG if thats the problem?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Bummer, man. When you change the gasket - make sure you check for any cracks in the head. When my gasket blew on my 86 (22RE), it cracked the head between the water jacket and the combustion chamber... When it blew, I had a grip of water come out of my exhaust!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:56 AM

Depends on how long its been since the top end was serviced. Your budget will dictate how much maintenance you do, but it's a good time to have the valves done if possible and if necessary (visual inspection by a mechanic will let you know). If you're planning to open up the air flow through out the engine with headers and exhaust this would be a good time to get the heads ported and polished, too.

The 3.0 is a sensitive lil beeotch when it comes to temperature. I blew the gasket on the left-side head once when it hadn't even gone to the red -- it only heated up about 3/4. Fun times.

Ed
Old 03-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Have your head(s) (What motor do you have?) pressure tested & milled. Pay the money for the gasket set from Toyota. Change all your Fuel Injector o-rings, etc. (Those should come with your gasket set). Also, buy the $11 Knock sensor wire (if you have the 3VZ-E, it's under the intake manifold mounted on the top of the block). You definitely want to change that wire when you have everything apart. And get a new timing belt. Make sure you spend the money for new head bolts. The douchebag at the Toyota dealership told me I didn't need to replace mine, but everyone else here says they NEED to be replaced. That's all I can think of at the time.

Last edited by Bassinfool; 03-03-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:03 AM

thanks guys. yea i took it to the mechanic this morning because i can only do so much( im not going to tinker with stuff i can't handle) ill give him my intel that ive gathered from you guys when i get home. thanks.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:14 AM

Sounds like you have the same thing i had. I had an external leak on the driver side at the back of the engine. I also got the billowing steam like you described. It was from coolant leaking out onto the crossoverpipe at the back of the engine. I had the same thing with my temp gauge too.

If you have an internal HG leak, your oil will be milky. On an external like mine, my oil was normal.

x2 on new headbolts. Those are a 1 time use item. For piece of mind, you might want to get ARP headbolts from DOA.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:54 PM

I know I am asking an obvious question. But maybe not? Did it ever have the head gasket recall done?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:03 PM

yea the recall was done back in 1996 by the original owner. i tried pullin one over on the dealership saying the one they did was defective but that didn't go very well
Old 03-03-2006, 05:07 PM

All I have to say is:
Crap.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

you're not alone; my HG gave way -- with a bang -- last week.
:cry:
Old 03-08-2006, 12:56 PM

Maybe I missed something. When you last mentioned 'White smoke everywhere' are you talking about the reservoir again or the tailpipe ?
Tailpipe = headgasket problem Reservoir = something way less $
?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 AM

I was hoping not to have the same problem but after reading this i'm convinced it's the head gasket.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 08:47 AM

Welcome to the club. My HG went yesterday. Does anybody know how to check the mill on the head or should i take it in. Are the Toyota gaskets better than say FelPro. How much should be expected to pay for the mill job?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
another member of the 3.slow HG club! congrats! (sarcasm)

check with engbldr.com http://engnbldr.com/ToyotaHotLicks.htm

i used his master gasket kit, rings, bearings, head bolts. I was very happy with the stuff i got. (that was when i rebuilt mine)
Old 03-23-2006, 09:14 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Static---my highway prob was like yours.....most of the time it was highway related. It generally didn't overheat around town. It turned out to be a bad radiator.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:28 AM

Mine went and hyrdrolocked no.6 threw a right outta the side of my block. Good luck
Old 03-23-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DO NOT USE FELPRO. You'll be right back doing the HG again soon. Rock, Nitroseal, Toyota Parts, or engnbldr are all good sources for the RIGHT gasket.

Mike in AR

Quick Reply: HELP! Overheated and white smoke is everywhere.