Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuel issue on 86 toyota pickup help plzz????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is multiple relays on the truck. check all of them. i fought with mine for 3 weeks before i found the right one. mine happened to be behind the glove box on the inner cab framing. easiest way to find all is follow the electrical diagram in your repair manual. go from the fuse box to the fuel pump in the diagram and you will find all relays for it. remember 95% of the time its electrical not mechanical
Old 12-29-2009, 07:37 PM

You never stated whether your injectors were clogged.When you removed the fuel rail was the injector opening full of small particles almost like dirt?If so you can clean them out there is a fine screen in the injector body.If the injectors are clogged and your intake was full of fuel it probably came from the cold start injector.You stated that one of the lines came apart and fuel went everywhere so I'm assuming the fuel pump is working.As suggested you could crack a line and verify fuel delivery.Also I read that you stated you cleaned the tank when you replaced the pump.As far as using the kleen strip prep and etch before sealing the tank with a sealant such as red kote.It also claims to form a zinc coating to prevent flash rusting.I've used this numerous times and have been happy with the results.They simply don't make new tanks for every old thing on the road.

Last edited by 03vrod; 12-29-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 PM

Wow, no one has mentioned a failed fuel regulator pushing fuel up the vacuum line into the intake. This is how I found out that mine had failed, fuel in the vacuum line.

It sounds like your having more problems than that, but it's some thing to check.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM

well i removed the fuel line hose it was not efi effeicient and was the standard for a carbed motor bout efi now will soon replace it with that working on getting injectors as they are very pricey...
Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM

yes, those injectors are highway robbery.. look for a deal online..
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 AM

anyhow was thinking if i just replace the fuel line to efi spec and put it back together should it work if injectors fine--not sure how to tell if they bad or not
Old 01-08-2010, 10:21 AM

if your motors put together i'd try running your current injectors, dont fix it if it ain't broke. you could do it later if lines and filter dont work.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 PM

bump...
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 AM

do you have it up and running yet?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 AM

not yet had to order new o rings for injectors they where dry cracked feeling...so they come in on tuesday all the uto parts didn't have em.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:37 PM

and i think figured on excess what i thought was fuel in intake i think it was the starter fluid i sprayed into intake to see if it would fire and juust sat on the bottom of the intake area before the head... o and put the new fuel line on now, and kept the fuel filter on the side on the block and checked lines they all hooked up right from what i can tell. nw just waiting on the lower o rings for the injectors
Old 01-11-2010, 03:59 PM

you will have to either order them from like autozone or advance autoparts

i couldnt wait 2 days for shipping so i went to toyota and paid 14 bucks for 4 o-rings that hold the injector in place... i felt ripped off.. but i was on a time line.. got the job done..
Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM

new problem there is a crack in the line for the fuel pump bracket.,,where do i get it?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:41 PM

braze it with brass.. if you know how to do that kind of stuff
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM

i have no idea but nice idea...i tried using epoxy steel --didn't work.....now trying j.b. weld hope it works found out it was broken before and previous owner jb welded it and it help for 6 years.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 AM

y did you start working with fuel system what was the first prob? sorry if you already said this but.. try to run truck on carb cleaner than you will know if this is a fuel prob but sounds kinda like a mass air flow sensor messing up i would try to eliminate things before you replace ne more parts you have spark so try cab clean if it runs you know you don't have fuel and the inj you can clean at home hook injector to power so it opens and spray cab clean threw them
Old 01-22-2010, 03:33 PM

well it started with the fuel pump going out then found out the fuel line was never upgraded to efi specs then replaced that then recently checked to see if i was getting fuel up to the fuel line and it sprayed everywhere that checked good, so now i ordered some new injectors if that don't work idk.and for the starter fluid i spray it in where? i tried sprayin it into the intake and i get a fire and truck wants to start but nothing, o something else when i try to start the truck without any type fluid the line that connects from the intake to the mass air flow unit the line pops off of the mass air flow unit--idk y? tried starting it today and it tried to start but nothing....feeling like a lost cause.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:34 PM

ow and got the leak in the fuel pump bracket fixed j.b. weld stick is wat i used eh worked thank god!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:27 PM

k... tell ya where i'm at now..., i dropped the oil and it came out sludgy and dark, could that be y it won't start 2? i ordered the injectors it'll be here on wednesday at latest, but i'm curious about the mass air flow sensor that someone mentioned on here recently, if the tubingthat connects from the maf sensor unit to the intake pops off when trying to start what does that mean? never seen that before didn't start doing that till i replaced everything like the fuel pump and stuff like that...anyone know?????? plzzzzz help meeeee.....ty
Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM

so if you spray starter fluid into the intake should it start or is fire flame coming out the intake hole good or bad? i don't get it

Quick Reply: fuel issue on 86 toyota pickup help plzz????