Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel filter replacement tips..for the novice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry!! I also forgot to post that I cleaned out my TBI.
So between the new Fuel Filter and the clean Throttle Body, I will keep anyone who is interested with the results.

Last edited by Spanky; 08-22-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tomasp
THANK YOU, thook - I have followed your instructions and it went smooth as silk!
I have also soaked it in WD-40 for 3 days and just before starting working opened the fuel tank capto let the pressure out. It only bled less than a cup of petrol.
Thank you so much for a simple and so useful write-up. BTW, I haven't put the bracket 10mm bolt in because it wouldn't align properly but the filter is securely held by the bracket anyway so guess should be fine.
Very cool, and you're very welcome. I'm glad you found it helpful.
Yeah, it's tricky getting the bracket to align. But, if I were you I'd try and get the bolt back in. That filter could start a sympathetic vibration all the way throught the fuel line, to the motor, and finally through the accelerator, through your foot and to your brain. It's just not healthy.

Originally Posted by robcogliani26
Sorry!! I also forgot to post that I cleaned out my TBI.
So between the new Fuel Filter and the clean Throttle Body, I will keep anyone who is interested with the results.
That filter looks like it's never been changed. Didn't realize you had a 22re. Little details....
Yeah man, post the results. I cleaned the TBI on my 22re a few weeks ago and bypassed the EGR (out of necessity, the threads on the valve stripped while removing it) and my mileage increased 2-3mi/gal. That's hauling weight up and down hills and driving unordinarily fast....and starting and stopping alot. You could say my TBI was rather dirty.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hate to attempt a threadjack, but when you say you bypassed the EGR, what exactly did you do?

Also why did you do it and what if any are the side effects of doing this?

I'm curious because I think mine is making my engine ping like hell and I don't fancy buying a new one.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I didn't want to do it, but in trying to get the hard lines off to clean everything the threads wound up stripping. So, I blocked the port to the back of the plenum with a quarter, some RTV sealant and then torqued the original tube flange over that. Then, I just put a clipped off piece of a large nail and crammed it in the vacuum line going to the EGR valve to keep it from opening.
There are no side effects that I can tell... other than slightly stronger fumes from the exhaust. My engine temp seems to be the same and there's no pinging or timing issues from having bypassed it. From what I've read, if removing it makes your engine ping, then retard your timing a notch or two...whatever to stop the pinging.
Why do you think yours being on is making it ping?
Also, my 22re is in an '86 4rnr. I don't know how different they are up to your year/model.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Contributing Member

I would like to add for the sake of this good thread that I replaced my fuel filter just a couple days ago.

My '96 had the original fuel filter on it at 122K. After installing the new one, i immediately noticed it ran much smoother. I honestly didn't think my 4runner could run any better. I previously had already cleaned my throttle body, and installed a TrueFlow air filter and a MIT Airaid intake tube which all made a nice differnece but after the new fuel filter, it purred like thats what it always needed.
Then i drove it. A very slight but noticable split-second hesitation that i once had was completely gone. It not only ran better but my quick throttle response didn't skip a beat like it did before.

If your reading this and don't know how many miles are on you fuel filter, i highly recommend that you change it now.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a '94 xtracab w/3vze with 202k miles on the odometer; I've religously changed the fuel filter every 100,000 miles, whether it needed it or not!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:52 AM

I'm also on the 100k fuel filter schedule. And the funny thing about it is that even at 100+k miles I have never been able to tell a difference when I change it either.

I do get gas only in town and at busy, clean, and relatively new stores though so that may contribute to the longevity of the filter.

Another tip is I've always heard that if you see a tanker at a store wait a few days before gassing there because they stir up the sediment and water in the tanks. I've always heeded that advice too..

Speaking of that, I'm at 205k now I guess its time to change it again as we speak.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

{thread hijack!} I just changed mine (202k miles) & it was quite clear; I could blow through it easily. Not like the first time I changed it @ 92k. It was as though someone poured epoxy into it!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not ever changing it again on my 3.0. Well maybe if I hit another 100 large I'll pay to have Toyota do it. But at 5,000/yr that won't be for another 20 years.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive

Another tip is I've always heard that if you see a tanker at a store wait a few days before gassing there because they stir up the sediment and water in the tanks. I've always heeded that advice too..

i have read this also. if you think about it, it makes sense. so i have always tried to avoid the store for at least a day.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:56 AM

The Tech Article how-too is helpful for first-timers as well as this Thread. It really is not that hard (yes its PITA that you have to turn 1/4 turns on the opened end wrench) and its worth it considering fuel prices today. I had my engine torn apart for the timing belt and released the gas cap pressure, and also had less than a cup of fuel spill. If the fuel on the tank side is at all dirty when its draining, it was a good idea you changed it. Plus eBay for $5 is always a good reason to change it.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I replaced mine once.... I was young and follish and had like all day sat to get it done including 2 trips to the store for tools i didnt have and or broke along the way. and smelled of gass for 2 days!

cant say ill do it every again....
Old 08-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

mmmmmm..... gas

Old 08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Rocket, did you notice an increase in MPG? I'm at 115k now and figure its time for a fuel filter change. It would be interesting to know how much, if at all, you gained from the swap.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DyeBoi
Hey Rocket, did you notice an increase in MPG? I'm at 115k now and figure its time for a fuel filter change. It would be interesting to know how much, if at all, you gained from the swap.
Why would you get an increase? I mean, the fuel burns the same once it gets past the filter, right?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DyeBoi
I didn't notice any MPG change but i haven't really been keeping track either. I just keep mental notes on miles-per-tank which have been averaging the same.

What i did notice was that it idled much smoother and the slight hesitaion i had when accelerating in first gear (which i thought was normal) went completely away. Throttle response was greatly improved. I can only imagine how filthy my stock filter must of been.

BTW, spend a couple more dollars for a Wix Filter. I bought mine through Amsoil.com for about $20
Old 08-28-2006, 06:43 PM

I bought a filter and the toyota garage guys said, "what are you changing that for? We only change it when we change the engine."
Mine looked fine at 240,000 miles. I just changed it for fun.

My tip: This job is EASY with the right tools. Get a set of crow's foot wrenches. You can move your leverage from the impossibly tight area around the filter to someplace much easier. Those impossibly tight fuel lines spin right off.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by leiniesred
Mine looked fine at 240,000 miles. I just changed it for fun.
So you cut it open and looked?
The Toyota garage guy is a moron. It's called a filter for a reason.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rocket
So you cut it open and looked?
The Toyota garage guy is a moron. It's called a filter for a reason.
I Agree--it would become so stopped up it would eventually ruin your fuel pump, not to mention stumbling issues associated with lack of fuel flow.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess it all depends on how clean the gas is.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter replacement tips..for the novice!