Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front Tow Hooks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My runner has a hook and ring:

The hook is heavier / thicker than the ring because it is 'open' and has to be thicker to resist bending.

I was under the impression the hook was on one side and the ring on the other so that you could run a strap through the ring and then through itself, and loop the other end of the strap on the hook thus creating a sling of sorts that when pulled on from between the hook and ring (not jerked), the force would be applied to both frame rails.

I've never seen a towtruck use the ring to tie down- they always hook the axle or crossmember, from what I recall.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, so my origional question then is true, they only put on one hook-ring apparently. but if you look on the driver's side, there is def a place to mount the same hardware on the driver's side. So I went ahead and ordered the necessary parts allready. If your yota parts place has a good diagram on their computers, it will show the parts being attached with the L bracket, bolts, nuts, and hook/ring with wire, ON BOTH SIDES!!!!
So now then, I guess the question is; if toyota only put these on one side, then how exactly did they want us to hook something or tow something up front
then?

Last edited by rangerruck; 02-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my hilux surf came with 2 stock 4 runners never did
Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by rangerruck
Okay, so my origional question then is true, they only put on one hook-ring apparently. but if you look on the driver's side, there is def a place to mount the same hardware on the driver's side. So I went ahead and ordered the necessary parts allready. If your yota parts place has a good diagram on their computers, it will show the parts being attached with the L bracket, bolts, nuts, and hook/ring with wire, ON BOTH SIDES!!!!
So now then, I guess the question is; if toyota only put these on one side, then how exactly did they want us to hook something or tow something up front
then?
what do you mean?

i got pulled all the way home with my passenger side hook a little less than ten miles, its not that hard
Old 02-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its easy to buy a second and bolt it on. Make sure to use grade 8 bolts.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rangerruck
then?

My question is how exactly do you plan on pulling out or getting pulled out using both your hooks?

When I yank someone out, I usually only have one strap, why would I hook that up to two hooks?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by slosurfer
My question is how exactly do you plan on pulling out or getting pulled out using both your hooks?

When I yank someone out, I usually only have one strap, why would I hook that up to two hooks?
HAHA!!! so true...

as for why toyota has those little loops, IIRC, its because they used them to tie down the trucks on the way over here on the boat...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:29 PM

well, i can see just having 1 hook, for towing on a flat surface, but if getting out of a bog, or behind mud or logs, I would want two hooks. as for doing this with
just one strap, simple; you run the strap through both hooks. then you make a sliding knot, or a round turn with two half hitches, on the end of the strap. then you run the long end of that strap you are pulling with, throught the loop you just made. Then when you start to pull, the knot self adjusts to the middle, making a tight triangle shape, in the front of your rig, so when you pull, you have equal tension being pulled from all over, straight down to the middle of your pull strap. If not that, you could take a solid steel bar, run it between the hooks, and have lock out hinges or just metal u hangers, and bolts, that keep the bar stable, and in place, inside the hooks, then just hook onto the bar.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Well it sounds good in theory, but have you ever tried to untie a knot in a snatch strap after you've been yanking on it with a few tons of force?

And that better be a big solid steel bar if you go that route, because it will bend when you snatch on it from the middle. I've even seen front crossmembers, rear tow hitches, etc... bent that way (I use my rear tow bar as a mount when yanking someone and I worry about this). Remember the way the hook is on the end of the frame, you have the whole frame lined up behind it generally in line with the direction you are yanking. With a bar going across two hooks and then the strap in the middle, there is nothing behind it supporting it in the same line as the yank it coming from. Notice on most good offroad bumpers, the recovery points are inline with the frame not in the center of the bumper.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:48 AM

yea, putting a knot in a tow strap is not a good idea, my brother did that to mine and it was really hard to get out.

also, try yanking from the tow hooks, it works