86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front CV Axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front CV Axle

Unfortunately I might need a new CV Axle on my pass. side in my recently acquired 95 4Runner, BUT I'm not 100% sure. Heres my situation.

While going under to check on a leak I got repaired I noticed a large amount of grease sitting below the boot and slung all over. I immediately knew it was the boot and inspected it to check for holes and such. There is a very small rip (about 5 mm at the most)

On full lock turning left there is a sharp, loud clunking noise. I check the tire and clearance on full lock and noticed a flap but I doubt it would make that much noise. I'll check again to make 100% sure tomorrow. Oh and a newb question, how would I know if I have manual hubs or not?

So I would like to only have to replace the boot (~$40), but not sure if it'll fix the problem. I did search, but no definite answers. TIA.

Phil

EDIT: To avoid making multiple threads, I have a few more questions.

My rear end sags, Would the OME springs form rock-road work fine? The ride is crappy because of the rear, mainly it is really bouncy. Will the OME's fix this and have a better highway ride?

When I first got the car it had been sitting for 3 months. On my first fill up I got 15.99 MPG, now I'm getting 12.93 . I don't consider my self hard on it (stay below 2.65k RPM on acceleration) MY commute can be considered city (driving at most 2 miles with out coming to a complete stop for 15 miles a day.) I know fully well it's an SUV, I have a 4th gen Runner too. I will be replacing all the fluid to Mobil 1 synthetic (not blend) soon, as it is all I can afford. I just added seafoam to my tank, and will do it thru the vacuum line soon too. PSI is at 38 all around. The only thing I can think that would help is to replace the fluids, replace cheapo air filter, clean MAF and do seafoam treatment. Anything else that might help?

Is it normal for the alt. to sort of grind/squeak when I turn off the car? And when I turn my indicator on for the voltmeter to go with it, and when ever I use the window for it to go down, and for the lights to dim when I'm playing music? A little concerned, don't want my alt to go soon. Would a big-3 upgrade help this? (maybe just a ground issue)

My speedo is jumpy sometimes. Lube it?

And one last thing, I notice I have a small leak when ever I park the car overnight. Looks to be oil (doesn't smell like gear oil) From what I could tell it could be coming for either the oil pump seal or *sigh* the head gasket I REALLY REALLY hope it's the oil pump seal, if it's the head gasket, I'll pursue Toyota.

TIA again to y'all.

Last edited by 24Runna; 11-11-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
c/v joint has already been damaged.
the only way the boot fix would help, is if you tore it. then fixed it before any water/dirt got inside the joint itself.

so, the life expanctancy is hand in hand w/the boot. _(packing them w/grease is only temp, b/c grease will displace water)

the joint is a small item, and if you can change a tire, you can also change that. ive done one outside in a snow storm (twice so far). and both time bought used c/v joints which worked fine for years till i crashed em.

lots of stuff to check for oil, but dont worry too much, as driving your car will create a small leak to travel everywhere on your motor, and if a little drip is all thats on your driveway, than its leaking while your driving, and if its a big puddle,(and empty when you get in ), its seriouse.

best thing is to steam clean it, and look for fresh oil leakage. right after it dries (in the daytime or a very bright area)

i personally prefer the regular oil, as synthetic can clean the engine so well, that it may open a small leak. whereas regular oil can "goob" it up and keep it sealed. (plus many seals were not made for synthetic.)*(not sure about yours)

gas mileage may be your grade of fuel, i noticed that the cheapest in town gets much less mpg, than chevron.
also, check your tire pressures, and make sure your e-brake is not dragging.

alt gauges are great, and yes, they will blip when the blinker is on. lights will dim when your big stereo is drawing alot of power.
but
the squeeling is wrong, check/replace your belt. if it starts up and is not too old, it should be okay.

Last edited by idanity; 11-11-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 PM

Thanks idanity. I was hoping it was the joint. I'm not too worried about the small leak. It's the same if I drive 5 miles or drive for an hour at 75. I plan on using auto-RX and then going to synthetic. If i get a big leak I'll know where it is from!

For the gas, I've been going to the different places around the area. Mobil has been getting me the best so far. Gonna try that next fill up.

As for the alt, I plan on doing a big-3 upgrade anyways. Heres a vid of the noise.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/v/zGhfHMoq3iE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by 24Runna; 11-11-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 AM

anyone else?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, sorry to say but you broke your CV shaft lol
same thing happened when i bought my 88, there was a clunk when i bought it.
took it 4byin and was going through a ditch and snapped the shaft in half, after i looked at it, i noticed the boot was ripped, which is one of the reasons you CV shaft will break.
so my advice is, dont lock those hubs in untill you get a new CV shaft, cuz you will snap it off lol
Old 12-02-2007, 10:38 PM

Hey guys, instead of posting a new thread I'll just post here. I got a new CV joint on the way and was wondering if it was had to install, and what supplies are needed. TIA.