86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fixed my saggy 4Runner ass on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I think this can all be solved if the OP would post a pic or two of this setup, instead of just posting this story and then leaving the thread to boil over night
Old 11-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Nope. Stiffer shocks do not amount to lift. They amount to more resistance when the suspension collapses or extends quickly. It's all about fluid flow through valving assemblies.
Soft shocks allow the fluid to pass through the valve(s) more quickly than stiffer shocks do. The resistance to movement of the fluid within the chambers of the shock body is what determines how soft or stiff it is.
If you get lift from a shock, it is because positive pressure is built up on one side of the shock, as you would get from air-assist shocks.
I am definitely one of the lest see some pics bandwagon here, but i also like the devil and his advocates. I understand the dampening of a shock (well, at least enough to not have a clue), But i think every shock i have ever put on a vehicle i had to compress down to get it in. Not much pressure to compress it, but at rest, a shock sits extended. Why, if it only dampens? A couple more beers and me and the dog is gonna figure this out.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The shock extends due to the gas inside of it. However, the amount of gas present in a gas filled shock is not even enough to lift a barbell, let alone an entire truck.

Part of this story is MIA, or the OP is just completely wrong.

Abe so far has been spot on, 100% correct. As usual

The only way a shock could ever provide lift, was if it had no valve inside, and the fluid merely compressed. A shock is designed to reduce bounce (hence the name "shock") and therefore HAS to have some kind of valve inside to allow fluid to pass through.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Wow. Dudes, calm your birds. There is no need to get all flustered over somebody posting a mistake, maybe he ment to say "shocks and springs" instead of just "shocks". He measured it so unless his tape measure has gone wacky what he has done worked so ccaalllmmmm ddoowwnnn. Take 3 deep breaths.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
disregard my post that i made Abe......idk wtf i was thinkin...lmao..after i started thinkin..yea..i can compress ANY shock with my hands....so any vehicle is going to compress a shock..LMAO
Old 11-05-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that if I jack up the back of my car (mini Cooper) and put it back down it sits higher, when I take off the e brake and roll the car it goes back down to its ride height. I have not done this with my 4Runner yet, but would this be the same with the truck? If so it might have sagged back down after he drove it.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Lukifer
I know that if I jack up the back of my car (mini Cooper) and put it back down it sits higher, when I take off the e brake and roll the car it goes back down to its ride height. I have not done this with my 4Runner yet, but would this be the same with the truck? If so it might have sagged back down after he drove it.
very good point; that crossed my mind as well
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by GreenFlames
Wow. Dudes, calm your birds. There is no need to get all flustered over somebody posting a mistake, maybe he ment to say "shocks and springs" instead of just "shocks". He measured it so unless his tape measure has gone wacky what he has done worked so ccaalllmmmm ddoowwnnn. Take 3 deep breaths.
Except if you read his post, he specifically distinguished between springs and shocks....

Last edited by DeathCougar; 11-05-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
hehe. can I say that again?
That just looks odd.

Without pictures or further clarification from the OP, I'm calling shenanigans.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Staff

Glad I could be of service
Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 PM

I don't know what the OP meant, but I do know what was written and it all suggests that shocks from a Tahoe can add 2.5" lift to a sagging 91 4Runner.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by JeEVeS
I am definitely one of the lest see some pics bandwagon here, but i also like the devil and his advocates. I understand the dampening of a shock (well, at least enough to not have a clue), But i think every shock i have ever put on a vehicle i had to compress down to get it in. Not much pressure to compress it, but at rest, a shock sits extended. Why, if it only dampens? A couple more beers and me and the dog is gonna figure this out.
A shock extends at rest because at within the shock is a chamber filled with (typically) nitrogen gas (since it is mostly inert and doesn't adversely react with the dampening fluid of the shock) that acts against the fluid above it. The pressure exerted by the gas serves to prevent the fluid from developing bubbles when it gets hot (prevents cavitation and boiling) as the piston moves up and down within the cylinder and generates heat (as any fluid being compressed will do). It is a natural tendency of a gas charged shock to want to extend. However, those shocks can also be rather easily compressed by hand and therefore do not exert sufficient force by themselves on the chassis they are installed on to provide lift for more than a a centimeter or so at best, much less 2.5 inches... well over 7 centimeters.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-05-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 PM

Glad I could be of service
Figure out my Celica yet? It's been what, like over a year now....
Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Oh lord....your still bringin up the Celica issue?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Oh lord....your still bringin up the Celica issue?
yup. and you didn't figure it out either.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:15 PM

I told you, give it to me for a week, I'll have it fixed for you......LOL.

I told yo, the problem is it doesn't like it's current owner....it wants change!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 AM

just a thought after reading this time wasting thread! Shocks are filled with a simi volital fluid? shocks have rubber orings and other melt-able parts inside them? correct? DONT WELD ON EM!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Wow... I was simply posting what could be somewhat useful for someone who may want to somewhat level out their vehicle with a side benefit of better hauling ability. The tahoe shocks were maybe a 1/4" longer then the stockers. I do know the difference between springs and shocks, oddly enough. The tahoe shock is a much stiffer shock than the originals i pulled off that could be compressed easily with one hand. I don't have any before pics so an after is just about useless unless you want to see that I'm not nearly rubbing tires on the rear quarters anymore. I measured the 36" after a short drive so I'm sure that everything had "settled". And also, I'm sorry that I could not post some clarification a little sooner, I was at work. Didn't know I would be attacked for posting, in my mind, helpful information. Welding the top of a shock is not nearly as dangerous as one would think, the gas/oil filled chamber is at the bottom. But to each his own and I'll keep to myself.

Last edited by Workman; 11-06-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Staff

Its not helpful information if its incorrect.

A shock simply cannot give you lift, unless its designed to support the weight of the vehicle (see: Racing shocks for monster trucks)

Stiffness (refered to as dampning) has ZERO to do with lifting a vehicle. Its only purpose (in passenger cars/trucks) is to dissipate kinetic energy, and smooth out the ride.

It is possible that you created lift by welding on the bolt, or by having a shock that does not compress as far. Just because a shock is the same distance extended, does not mean its the same compressed.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:46 PM

I'm sure someone has already noted the glaring error that you cannot lift a 5000lbs truck with shocks. I can collapse a shock 10" with about 15lbs force, I can't say the same about coil springs.

Last edited by Matt16; 11-06-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Fixed my saggy 4Runner ass on a budget