Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fan tried to exit through the hood-need a part!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey MT - nice looking work.

Thanks for the quick responses. My rig, while a valuable member of the family since new, is now mostly a weekend play toy.

I may take the path of least resistance and ask a friend, who is a former Toyota service tech, to step in here. I hate to call on him so much, but there is probably an easy workaround to the SST's and procedures called for in the service manual.

Thanks again for your help and your offer of hoses. I may need to call on you for the rubber hoses which I see in your first pic.

If you have a moment, tell me how you inserted pics into your posts.

Sincerely,

Dafried
Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dafried

If you have a moment, tell me how you inserted pics into your posts.
I first upload them to webshots here:
http://community.webshots.com/commun...host=community

Then you can link directly to them by cutting and pasting the link into a post. They have 5 different sizes to choose from:
100:

200:

425:

500:

And 600:

If you click on any of the pics it takes you to the webshots album and you can enlarge it to full size.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, 13,000 Feet. I bet your truck is a gutless wonder up that high. What's with the cable on your bumper?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stormin94
Wow, 13,000 Feet. I bet your truck is a gutless wonder up that high. What's with the cable on your bumper?
Yeah the power pretty much goes to hell up there. That's one reason I added a supercharger. That cable was just sitting up there, I don't know anything about it.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-26-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah the power pretty much goes to hell up there. That's one reason I added a supercharger. That cable was just sitting up there, I don't know anything about it.
Oh, it looked like it was wrapped around your bumper, but I looked a little closer, and I saw it wasn't. Maybe someone brought that up there as a memorial for a friend who parked up there, and their parking brake failed...
Old 04-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, a couple years ago a family died on that trail. They pulled over to let someone pass by and got too close to the edge and fell off.

You can see a slip of the brake pedal in the wrong spot could be deadly:
Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Man that sounds so bad I almost wonder if it wasn't wired backwards. It was pulling air right, not pushing it?
No, it was wired correctly. I would leave the ignition switched on sometimes to pull air through and cool it after a little bit of wheeling. It was very obviously sucking air through the radiator - just not enough air. I've learned since then that lots of folks have trouble with electric fans not cooling well enough. I guess all the money and engineering that Toyota puts into cooling systems shouldn't be tinkered with.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Steveh29
I had a Flex A Lite Black Magic fan on my truck for a couple of years. Never cooled as well as the factory fan and I always overheated when wheeling. Reverted back to the factory fan and everything was perfect again. See my story on that here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...x-165-a-63155/
was that the black magic or the black magic extreme? the extreme looks like it flows 500 more cfm. it also uses a shroud to cover the whole radiator, don't know if it would fit, but if it did it might be a way to handle some more heat, no?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:48 PM

Don't think they had the Extreme when I was using my fan. This was the standard Black Magic by Flex-A-Lite. I bought it in 1999 and dumped it in 2002. Unrelated to Toyotas my cousin has a shop that repairs and hot rods a lot of classic and late model cars (Mustang, Camaro, etc). He's the one that told me to remove the electric fans. Every customer he has with cooling problems that's the first thing he does is chuck the electric fans.

So I did that and it solved my problem. Luckily I'd hung on to my factory fan and shroud. As always, your experience may be different but this is what worked for me.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Steveh29
Don't think they had the Extreme when I was using my fan. This was the standard Black Magic by Flex-A-Lite. I bought it in 1999 and dumped it in 2002. Unrelated to Toyotas my cousin has a shop that repairs and hot rods a lot of classic and late model cars (Mustang, Camaro, etc). He's the one that told me to remove the electric fans. Every customer he has with cooling problems that's the first thing he does is chuck the electric fans.

So I did that and it solved my problem. Luckily I'd hung on to my factory fan and shroud. As always, your experience may be different but this is what worked for me.
well so far in my dads truck (89 f-250, '96 351 (250+ horsepower), automatic trans, and tows 9500 pound boat no prob at 65mph) has have not had a problem with it. he has a 4600 cfm dual fan flex-a-lite fan. works great and has pick a quite a bit of top end horsepower. now one of the big differences is that it covers the entire radiator and is able to suck air through the entire radiator, not just the general area in front of the fans, thats why i thought maybe one with a shroud might help with the cooling issues.

Last edited by Alex 400; 04-28-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 PM

That's great that it's working OK for you because there are some benefits to an electric fan like the HP gain. I wish my experience had been better. I do know of several others that had trouble with the first Black Magic fans so I don't believe I'm an exception. Sounds like they redesigned them which is good because I think it needed to happen. I would for sure stay away from the one I was using.

Last edited by Steveh29; 04-29-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:39 PM

Big bang and screetching metal on metal sound?

I have a 94 4Runnner. Today O was urning around on a logging road in the Idaho wilderness. After backing up in a turn around I pulled forward intending to then back up. As I pulled forward a loud 'BANG' followed by screeching metal on metal.

The motor running fine, transmission working I backed up and drove back to camp about two miles. It did not overheat, oil pressure fine but the power steering was gone.

Got to camp looked under the hood to see the fan assembly separated from the motor. All the belts were in tact. What happened? Can anybody tell me what broke. Was it the bracket or something else.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You heard a loud bang under the hood and you did not look then and there??

Your fan clutch or the bearing failed.

Maybe the bolts just came loose and fell out.

You can see this How can we know what failed ??

Pictures would help
Old 05-26-2015, 06:57 AM

Crazy in Idaho wildreness with a wild fan

Thank you for responding!
Ok It is still at the camp. Bad weather forced us to go home in the boat. I will have to take the radiator out to see anything. When I look at it the fan and clutch assembly rests on the lower pulley. Belts are hanging freely and I can pick up the fan. It is completely separated from the motor. Cannot get it out of the cavity because something from the motor stops it. I assume it is the shaft. So when I go back out I will take pictures and get the thing out so I can see it.
The road I was on has enormous logging trucks running on it occasionally so it was not safe to leave it on the road. Since it was running fine I decided to look when I got to camp.