86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fairly new toyota enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fairly new toyota enthusiast

Hi guys my names Hugh I'm 24 years old, I purchased a 1993 extra cab sr5 pickup from my grandfather in summer of 2012. He was the original owner of the truck and was garage kept. When I got the truck it had only 27k on it. Very good condition and I only got it bc I needed a car and he was willing to give it up for a good price.

After driving it non stop for two years I put almost 50k on lol. But with work I had to commute far everyday. Now I don't have to and I been getting more and more interested in the truck and the following it has and it's a great truck. Absolutely zero problems (knock on wood).

But now I'm getting to the 75k mark and I want to start to do the routine maintenance that should have been done awhile ago. Although I have been doing the oil change every 3k

I just replaced the cat and the cat back only bc it was rusting away and the tail pipe fell off while I was driving lol. Now I'm looking to do spark plugs, wires, cap rotor, fuel filter and ignition coil. And soon will be doing the transmission fluid and filter.

My only question now is I been researching on here and can't seem to get the answer I'm looking for. Which is where is the ignition coil located? And where can I find the hardware for the front brakes? Meaning the lock nuts thrust washers for the hub? I know it seems like beaten to death or stupid I'm just not sure what to look for or if these things do need to be changed.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MTK_Punisher; 09-02-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to finish
Old 09-02-2014, 10:05 PM

Had my dad point out the ignition coil to me so scratch that from the previous post, I feel dumb.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:56 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
27k miles on a 1st owner basis? Nice man!.Why are you changing the ignition coil?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Gevo
27k miles on a 1st owner basis? Nice man!.Why are you changing the ignition coil?
I'm doing ngk plugs, wires, cap and rotor and might as well, there isn't an issue with it and I know the old saying don't fix something if it isn't broke, but why not I'm already goin in on the tune up.

I really wanted to make a thread about me and what I'm doing and if I have an questions if there's something I'm having trouble researching.

But thanks man yeah 1 owner garage kept...until I got it lol, still in prestige shape tho
Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Build up section:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/

and post pictures!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:08 PM

Just did the new NGK platinum plugs, wires, along with the cap and rotor today. I tried to do the ignition coil but I had a friend "helped me" out and stripped the screws that hold it to the bracket, but luckily I found the bracket on eBay for 16 bucks and with a new ignition module. I'll be giving him the bill lol.

But I had trouble with the fuel filter, I've read the thread with really good write up on it and I didn't have the same luck as that guy did, couldn't get the front but to budge at all, don't feel like removing major parts for this.

Any other ideas on how to replace the fuel filter? I've searched and everything was relatively the same answer.

I really need to replace this soon, I got a rough idle and it bothers me so much lol.

Appreciate any advice