Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Everything at once?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything at once?!?!?!?

Howdy all! So here's the scoop, my 4Runner has been in the family it's whole life, and I've been the one to put the most mileage on it. So far it hasn't given me any major issues, with the exception of having to swap a rear end, but that was my own fault for doing a bad job changing out some U-joints, lesson learned. In any case, that truck has 200k miles, only major parts changed have been the water pump and timing belt. The speedometer has been acting up on me for a few weeks now, dropping back and forth, and today it decided that it wasn't going to shift gears on the highway. I pulled over, put it in park and back in gear, and it wouldn't get passed 2nd gear, so I rode the feeder home. The problem eventually fixed itself after about two miles of slower driving, back to shifting normally. I went out later, and the power was acting really weird, dropping some serious voltage at stops, I had to ride the brake and accelerate at every stop to keep it from dying on me. That was all today, transmission is good on oil, battery is new, alternator is original (time to get replaced). So I guess my questions is, is there anyway the transmission problem and the power problem are related? Or is everything going wrong on my truck at once? Sorry, lots of words to get to the chase. I won't be able to do anything serious on it since we have a hurricane coming in Friday night, but maybe something to think while I'm riding this thing out, thanks guys!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Your speed sensor is crapping out on you. Expensive part, but a very easy part to change.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM

Wow, thanks!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey, you're welcome!....hehe

It's on the tailend of the transfer case/passenger side right where the rear driveshaft mates up. You'll see an electrical connector going to it.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Riding it out??? by the way the news is makin it sound if i where you i'd get the he!! out of there!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The transmission uses an electronic shift sensor so yes, a bad alternator or low voltage can cause shift problems.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 894x4pickup
Riding it out??? by the way the news is makin it sound if i where you i'd get the he!! out of there!

Well I live just north of Houston in Spring, TX. Luckily there are no major bodies of water to worry about, but it'll still get pretty rough. They've advised the inland folks like myself to ride it out and take precautions. The house is boarded up and we're ready for action! Thanks a ton guys!