Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Emergency driveshaft question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Very well. I shall take you're word for it then. It's nice to know I have recourse in any future emergencies that way as, obviously, I did not know before. And, yeah, the V6 component is a bit beefier.

The latest is, so far, no problems.....and I don't anticipate any. I'm picking up a socket tonight for the flange nuts tonight and hopefully get to retorquing them all tomorrow. Both output shafts on the t-case and the rear pinion all need it. The u-joints I will wait on since the front's not really critical and the rear has been remedied for now. Plus, I don't really have the time at the moment to R&R them....those that need it.

I sincerely appreciate the input gentlemen. I was getting a bit concerned it was something serious enough I wouldn't be able to drive. My vehicle is my horse and really cannot be without it, ya know.

I'll keep updating on the progress. This is all fairly new to me, so it will be an experience.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
If tightening the nut on the t-case don't work you'll need to replace the output shaft bearing.
Please tell me this is a simple job.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by amgraham
Another thing I thought of.. When you're driving does it make the same sound in all gears? My trans has been whining/grinding for several months (hence why I bought the spare) and it's loud as crap in every gear except 4th.. Quiet as a mouse in there. So, if it's only making noise in certain gears that narrows it down to the trans.

Also, dare I ask that you've checked to make sure all the fluids are full?
I've not checked them in several months, but for all intensive purposes they should be. The leaking hasn't been happening for long and it's not much of a leak anyway. Just enough to wet the diff and t-case flange. But, I'll take care of all of it this week. Been an eye opener, yesterday and today.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by amgraham
You may be better off finding a spare t-case and swapping it out.. I bought a spare t-case and tranny for $100 yesterday.
I'll keep that in mind. It'd be good for some back up reassurance. $100 is a good deal.