86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EGR removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need to do EGR delete

Last edited by woodsguy; 10-10-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:55 PM

Interesting thread, good 30 mins of entertainment in the least. Im still not sold on if removing it will cause any gains or not. Seems to be a 50/50 split with people saying it works and some saying it doesnt.

Any chance there are any Toyota Engineers directly involved in the 3vze design and testing that might wanna chip in here with an opinion?

What does valve pinging mean/do anyway? Will it damage then engine if left un-treated? Sounds like alot of you experience this when the EGR is removed.

Maybe ill block off this EGR thing and do some testing of my own.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 AM

I actually just removed mine. I also installed a 260 cam in the 22RE and it runs great...my mpg has not been affected...still around 22-23mpg.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
i just deleted my egr two weeks ago because i broke it while taking it off to check the diaphram. I've got low compression and i fear that my baby is coming up on it's last leg soon. I noticed an obvious improvement in the hp and acceleration, but it will lead to the eventual failure of both o2 sensors and excessive carbon deposits in the catalytic converter if it's blocked for long periods of time.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM

I just joined this forum last week, so after reading all these threads, I'm lost. My gut feeling says to remove the EGR. The EGR valve on my 1990 pickup (22R) is completely clogged with carbon, I have over 330K miles, timing chain has just rubbed a hole in the timing cover (parts on order), I have never babied my truck, drive between 85 to 90 MPH on interstate quite often, after 200K miles I quit doing routine maintenance, and I consistently get between 26.2 to 28.6 MPG. Thinking about putting on some headers, remove the catalytic converter, changing to performance cams, and adding some carbs. Should I remove the EGR at this point?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
erwatt
You should start by resuming routine maintenance and you should lift your foot off the pedal a little bit try driving a little more conservatively, and you should save your money instead of buying headers and performance cams and putting them on an old tired engine get yourself a lower mileage engine or a crate engine from Japan and then put all those addons into your rig. It is a very good possibility that with over 330K miles on your rig that your catalytic converter has been stopped up for a while, but then again with a lead foot like you have it probably blew everything out the tailpipe everytime you got off the on ramp. I wouldn't remove the cat, I'd try knocking all the junk out of it and then put it back together. Also I wouldn't remove the EGR, I'd just cut some heavy duty gasket material to shape and sandwich that in there between the valve and the seat that it sits in. That will take care of it completely. Just did that on an old 84' Bronco II. Runs and drives like a champ.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will most likely follow your advice regarding the EGR and the cat. I also wanted to clarify my statement regarding the highway speeds. All I'm doing is keeping up with the traffic. The speed limit is 70, everyone seems to add 10 to make it 80, and then there are some that adds another 5 to 10 for good measures.
As far as the headers, cam, and carb. I plan to buy a little at a time starting with the headers. I figure it want hurt this "old tired engine" that seems to still have a lot of pep and I can reuse the parts on a new short block. The short block will likely be the last thing I purchase. Then again, I might not do anything and just get me a Tundra.
Again, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
List of things to do...

1. egr delete
2. disconect pcv hose from plenum replace with filter
3. relocate knock sensor
4. drill holes in air box
5. ISR mod
6. Hose clamp on shift fork
7. Gut Catylytic Converter
8. Various other stupid stuff suggested on this site.

If you can think of anything else you've seen thats completely dumb and has been suggested and embraced on here list it below.

Last edited by REDYOTA; 01-13-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Well ive read all this arguing about removing the egr valve. It was very amusing, but honestly, if you have deleted it from you system im sorry for you...that pinging you heard? Well, i hope you have seen the affects. Look up detonation and look at the
pictures...if you think NOx is not an issue, well i would personally like to have my future children and grandchildren to be able to actually breath on this earth...

...actually no, lets all remove all of our smog equipment and really see what happens, who needs a catalytic converter and all that. That would be everyones view if we all listened to mrfixit for auto repair. Do some real research, leave the Egr on and stop spewing such crap from you mouth.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 AM

no one seems to have mentioned how DIRTY your intake and overall motor gets from the EGR. its crazy, i pulled the egr out and the tube was caked with this tar-like gunk. the whole intake manifold was lined with this crap. the intake valves were almost just as nasty as the exhaust valves.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Targetnut
Higher combustion temperatures = detonation/ retarded timing= less horsepower.

I think you need some new study material

Unless you are looking to do extensive powertrain management alterations you will not benefit from EGR removal.

Good luck
i did removed it, run 91 octane and advanced timing to 15* and i get 300 miles a tank with 35's. and global warming is a farce if your too ignorant to look at the facts instead of an agenda i cant help you there is no cure for stupid
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so any body built a newly fresh 22re with bigger pistons,better cam,,, ported head and just left it off/ blocked it off ? with no issues
Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by NFrank89
no one seems to have mentioned how DIRTY your intake and overall motor gets from the EGR. its crazy, i pulled the egr out and the tube was caked with this tar-like gunk. the whole intake manifold was lined with this crap. the intake valves were almost just as nasty as the exhaust valves.

i can speak of that. it looks horrid scary gooey makes me wanna run away gonna take days to clean it this was the TB
Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM

when you put delete your egr, where do you put the 10k ohm resistor to keep it from throwing codes?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by yotarover
so any body built a newly fresh 22re with bigger pistons,better cam,,, ported head and just left it off/ blocked it off ? with no issues

I was wondering the same thing. Im in the middle of rebuilding my 22re and want to block mine off possibly with an LC Enginering kit. There has to be someone one Yota tech thats done this before. Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 07:01 PM

i totally agree with Frank and Yota rover...i made my own cold air from 3in tibing and i was discusted at the sight of the back of my throttle body....thats what has me interested in deleting my egr..blah blah nox egt blah blah...if my intake and valves are junks and caked with crud tar stuff how on earth is your egr saving you gas??? when your intake ports are 15 or 20% clogged?? any light?? the plates can be found on ebay for like ten bucks...and hour of labor and done any ideas??
Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 PM

actually i make plates for the 22re for 8$ bolts included so far no shipping cost
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
i did removed it, run 91 octane and advanced timing to 15* and i get 300 miles a tank with 35's. and global warming is a farce if your too ignorant to look at the facts instead of an agenda i cant help you there is no cure for stupid
I was going to ask if anyone just tried higher octane and advancing timing. I have worked with several small single and twin cylinder motors build for 110 octane. If we have to run 92 octane for some reason, (we ran out of 110), they ping.
I plan on removing mine because it is no longer functioning right and I have a good header that does not have egr ports on it. Currently getting around 15 mpg. 200k miles 2 1/4 cat back exhaust, stock open 4:10 diffs. 31x10.5 Toyo mt's

Bump. Updates????

Last edited by thefishguy77; 03-07-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM

BUMP!!!
I just rebuilt my 22re and have decided to block off the egr.... I'm reading a lot that people are advancing the timing?
also I have a couple questions about which vacuum things I can remove and still have my truck running well...
It sure does look a lot cleaner and nicer without all of those vacuum lines running everywhere....
Wonder if less stuff in engine compartment ads to air flow/cooler temps?
I want to know if I'm ok to get rid of the 2 vsv's that are on the valve cover they have the same part number essentially except for one digit...90910 12067 and 90910 12065
any help would be AWESOME!!!
thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Removed mine the other day. Bolted on the header still need to order a o2 bung and new o2 sensor. Power band seems to have moved up about a 1000 rpm not sure if its just moved up or I am picking up more power that I hadn't felt before.
I haven't removed anything but the pipe that connects the crossover and the exhaust manifold just made a block off plate and used a gasket and high temp rtv. My CEL is on but runs good.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 04-15-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: EGR removal