86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EFI to carb swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI to carb swap

what are the steps and what needs to be done in order to make my 22re efi engine into a 22re carb engine? is it really an involved process or is it relatively easy? what needs to be changed?
im asking because i still have a major cluster of wires and STILL can not get her running so im considering changing the EFI to a carb.

what is everyones opinion on the switch?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 PM

efi is so simple, i recently converted my friends samurai from carb to efi. if u can read a wiring diagram u are golden. and y do u have a cluster of wires? u do a swap?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:24 PM

Why would you wanna do that? turn it into propane afterwards?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, since the 22re ecu controls ignition, you'll need the appropriate distributor from a 22r with vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms.
you'll need the carb, fuel pump, intake, cam eccentric etc.
to keep it street legal, don't know where you are, but likely you can't do it.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
well, since the 22re ecu controls ignition, you'll need the appropriate distributor from a 22r with vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms.
you'll need the carb, fuel pump, intake, cam eccentric etc.
to keep it street legal, don't know where you are, but likely you can't do it.
wow MR. Negative

some places, unlike Cali dont give a rats butt about this. Mr. Green doesnt live everywhere... flame on, go ahead Gore.

To the original poster. Figure out your EFI problems. It's actually more difficult nowadays to convert back to a carb (I run a 22R). Simply because lack of availability in parts. EFI is a bit more efficient and better on the trails.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
wow MR. Negative

some places, unlike Cali dont give a rats butt about this. Mr. Green doesnt live everywhere... flame on, go ahead Gore.

To the original poster. Figure out your EFI problems. It's actually more difficult nowadays to convert back to a carb (I run a 22R). Simply because lack of availability in parts. EFI is a bit more efficient and better on the trails.
okay, how was I being negative?
I gave a partial list of things needed, all valid and accurate in an effort to help the OP.
Then followed up with a simple observation regardling federal emissions regulations that are likely coming through the system soon, not something specific to california.
It's not entirely impossible to retrofit to carbs in cali, just very expensive and demanding if the vehicle wasn't offered in that configuration during that year of manufacture.
And for the record, I believe global warming is a non-issue. Not everyone in cali are tree-hugging, hand-holding eco-freaks.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Not everyone in cali are tree-hugging, hand-holding eco-freaks.
You are my new favorite person!!

an old saying my dad and his logger friends used to use...

"Earth first, we'll log the other planets later!"
Old 10-25-2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
You are my new favorite person!!

an old saying my dad and his logger friends used to use...

"Earth first, we'll log the other planets later!"
Thats GREAT! I like that. but of course osama obama is goin to fix everything!..lol
Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 AM

yea i would keep ther EFI for sure...

x2 on the earth first, well log other planets later.. iv grown up with family and friends in the logging industry and currently am a mechanic who works on loggin equipment. thoes damn nature ninjas need to get educated... trees are one of the ONLY compleatly renewable resources we have... as for the emmissions talk.. yea slowly and steadly the Feds are crackin down, i know that more and more areas around oregon are having to become DEQ compliant.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by drew303
wow MR. Negative

<SNIP>
Some people apparently, have a clue.
It's FEDERAL law and it carries a hefty fine.
So that poster is simply trying to inform the, obviously, uninformed of the facts.
Simple as...

Fred
Old 10-25-2008, 11:59 AM

okay, how was I being negative?
I gave a partial list of things needed, all valid and accurate in an effort to help the OP.
Then followed up with a simple observation regardling federal emissions regulations that are likely coming through the system soon, not something specific to california.
It's not entirely impossible to retrofit to carbs in cali, just very expensive and demanding if the vehicle wasn't offered in that configuration during that year of manufacture.
And for the record, I believe global warming is a non-issue. Not everyone in cali are tree-hugging, hand-holding eco-freaks.
Can you say owned? haha

x2 all of California isn't like Berkeley or San Francisco where they hug trees and homos.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LoL you guys are easy to goat. =) Whats Ironic is ya'll agreed w/ me.

On a hypocritical point of view, I think most tree huggers are less concerned w/ cutting down the actual tree's and more concerned with the environmental effects it has on the forest itself and all the inhabitants. It does disrupt the balance of everything. Around here it promotes a lot of illegal dumping and vandolism which results in my and other folks favorite wheeln spots gettin shut down =/ .... having said that, I support the loggers, I don't think they're ruining this planet. If all the hippies werent breathing up all our good air and putn it to no good use, we wouldnt even need that many trees. =p
Old 10-25-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now, the real question is WHY would someone want to take and EFI engine and convert it to carb'd.
Talk about going back to the dark age

Fred
Old 10-26-2008, 05:15 PM

reason why i would like to convert it is because i am having so many problems trying to get my yota started again. not too sure if anyone remembers but i am in the process of making a rock crawler out of my 4runner. what i need to have done now is get the pain in the @$$ started so i can get the wires moved so i can finish the fabrication of the roll cage, but i am having difficulties trying to get her started. im not sure if i have some wire crossed or a wire not connected (i am not a good auto electrician) or if there is a gremlin in there. i really appreciate everyones input about this. so i guess i will just have to hit the grindstone and get a lot of elbow grease and figure out the problem.

life would have been a HELL of a lot easier if i remembered to MARK THE DAMN WIRES before i took it all apart.

i cant even remember how to re-hookup my fuel pump.

Last edited by slayyerr; 10-26-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:20 PM

marking wires would've been a good thing to do, but since not done... oh well

the FSM has all the wiring diagrams you need, all the wires are color coded... so you just need to connect the dots, so to speak.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:26 PM

marking wires would've been a good thing to do, but since not done... oh well

the FSM has all the wiring diagrams you need, all the wires are color coded... so you just need to connect the dots, so to speak.
not on this truck....this is my major problem.
the truck was in a wreck (not sure how or what happened) and as i am tracing back wires i find that 1 wire has a splice and turns into 3 more wires. so i would trace back one of those wires and find that it has ANOTHER splice and THAT has 3 MORE wires, so now i am from 1 wire to 6. and to top it all off i have some white wires with black lines to a white wire with BLUE lines, so to make a long story short a wiring diagram is of no use to me.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:30 PM

let's make this simple:
the wiring diagram shows a wire goes from A to B.
as long as the wire makes the connection from A to B, however many splices are in the middle is of no concern.
you may have multiple wires that are connected to B, and those may be C, D, E, F, G.
as long as they all make the connection to A... shouldn't be a problem.

make sure you understand the diagram before running wires.

oh, and solder, not crimp
Old 10-26-2008, 05:33 PM

yea they are all crimped (I DIDNT DO IT LOL) and i cant really read a wiring diagram(to me its in Chinese) but i will try to figure it out. oh BTW truck DOES turn over but does not run, i can get it running by putting gas in the airtake but dies out when the gas is all used up.
heh i really wish one of you guys were down here in mexico so you could teach me a thing or 2 about my yota

Last edited by slayyerr; 10-26-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:30 PM

dont be intimadated by the wireing diagrams, its just a grown up version of connect the dots. what i would do if i were you is to clear off a table and maybe make blown up copies of them and lay them out and just look at them, i havnt had to look at the factory toyota schematics but they should have a "legend" or "Description of items" that will show you what different icons mean in the wireing... and im sure there is a website or a "wireing for dummies" book lol ... and if your buildin a crawler, EFI is the way to go... or in your case, Stay.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by slayyerr
yea they are all crimped (I DIDNT DO IT LOL) and i cant really read a wiring diagram(to me its in Chinese) but i will try to figure it out. oh BTW truck DOES turn over but does not run, i can get it running by putting gas in the airtake but dies out when the gas is all used up.
heh i really wish one of you guys were down here in mexico so you could teach me a thing or 2 about my yota
sounds like u need a friend thats good with electrical to help u out

Quick Reply: EFI to carb swap