Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

dual shock hoops

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
yeah the shocks apply resistance to the movement of the axle

more shocks = more resistance = rougher ride because the truck bounces with the axle

you want a smoother ride, take the shocks off completely

it sounds like you've been hanging around some mall-crawler friends and taking advise from them
That's true but coils add resistance too, dual shocks = no-coil-over, more shock absorption. Coils = more return bounce. Why do you have to insult people? "Mall-crawlers friends" I'm guessing that you run spacers or adjustable coil-overs, thats mall-crawler stuff! Those are just stock replacement add-ons, duals actually require real modification. By the way 2nd gen 4Runners like mine are pretty heavy, especially with all the heavy-duty bars.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by klausmeine83
Man I don't even know where to begin, you couldn't be more wrong. First of all the point of dual shocks has nothing to do with street ride, nor does any off-road mod. If you want a good in between suspension just keep it stock. The point of dual shocks is to get rid of the coil-over, that reduces bounce not the other way around. When you hit a bump it absorbs the shock, thats why they call em shock absorbers, the coil springs bounce the truck back and throw you into the roof. Speaking of ghey, I wouldn't want to put shocks called names like that on my truck!

Anyway, to answer the original question of the post: You need to weld in different brackets, thats why most guys don't do it, they prefer easy stuff like spacers and adjustable coil-overs

wow... you would have to run allot more then 2 shocks to replace the coil spring.. or torsion bar in this case.. and then they would have to gas charged shocks with a high pressure..

unless he got non pressurized shocks and had them valved really light on compression running dual shocks will not make his suspension any better. but if he wants dual shocks, he wants dual shocks..

ryan
and when did it become gay to make your truck look cool.... I guess we should all stop doing body work and paint jobs.. plus those ARB's and TJM bumpers should all be thrown away in favor of a more practical tube bumper for less weight and more protection...
Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
That's true but coils add resistance too, dual shocks = no-coil-over, more shock absorption. Coils = more return bounce. Why do you have to insult people? "Mall-crawlers friends" I'm guessing that you run spacers or adjustable coil-overs, thats mall-crawler stuff! Those are just stock replacement add-ons, duals actually require real modification. By the way 2nd gen 4Runners like mine are pretty heavy, especially with all the heavy-duty bars.
you, my friend, have some huge internet b@||$

read up some more

and know more about the person you're trying to insult before you attemp to insult them

you've been here long enough for 3 posts; you're off to a FANTASTIC start...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-18-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by yotaman85
wow... you would have to run allot more then 2 shocks to replace the coil spring.. or torsion bar in this case.. and then they would have to gas charged shocks with a high pressure..

unless he got non pressurized shocks and had them valved really light on compression running dual shocks will not make his suspension any better. but if he wants dual shocks, he wants dual shocks..

ryan
and when did it become gay to make your truck look cool.... I guess we should all stop doing body work and paint jobs.. plus those ARB's and TJM bumpers should all be thrown away in favor of a more practical tube bumper for less weight and more protection...
As for my truck, which is what i was defending, I have torsion bars, dual shocks and no coils. His is a solid front axle mine obviously is not. I don't need springs on mine so I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I'm willing to learn?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Would it have leaf springs? Not just a torsion bar on his soild front axle?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
you, my friend, have some huge internet b@||$

read up some more

and know more about the person you're trying to insult before you attemp to insult them

you've been here long enough for 3 posts; you're off to a FANTASTIC start...

Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM

@Iamsuperbleeder
So can you tell me why I'm wrong? Also I didn't insult anybody, that was just a little come back to some attitude. Peace man.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Would it have leaf springs? Not just a torsion bar on his soild front axle? "

Where to start with this one...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
"Would it have leaf springs? Not just a torsion bar on his soild front axle? "

Where to start with this one...
which one is it that's all I'm asking?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

yotaman already pointed out your "wrong"

I guess I'm going to have to break this down...

sure coils add restance, and so does the tortion bars that are on your claimed 2nd gen 4Runner, but with two main differences from the resistance that shocks provide:

1) they don't provide a funtion to slow down and damper the movement. that's why when you see an old truck or car with worn out shocks go over a bump of dip in the road, they "float" up and down for the next 100 yards; they're pretty much riding on all spring because there's no dampening there from the shocks

2) coil springs, tortion bars, and leaf springs, are all progressive with their resistance, and it's this progressive resistance that allows them to support the weight of the vehicle. standard shocks absorbers are NOT designed to take the weight of a vechicle; that's the spring's job

so in the end:

spring = supports the weight of the vehicle, but also allows the movement of the suspension

shock = is NOT load bearing; simply absorbs and cancels out movement of the suspension

more shocks = more canceling out of the suspension movement

more canceling out of suspension movement = stiffer rider

now of course none of this applies to nitro-charged shocks of anything, but that's a different situation all together...

BUT, it purly depends on the vehicle too, which is why I mentioned before that the full-size truck guys normally choose to run them. the heavier the vehicle, the less you'll notice the added dampening. but on a light mini-truck, there's not a whole lot of weight to be thrown around, so adding a ton of shocks is going to make the ride harsh

and by the way, a coil-over is just a combination of coil spring and shock; a standard shock absorber runs down the inside of a standard coil spring; it's just more convenient to put them in a smaller package like that. you cannot simply replace a coil over assembly with a bunch of standard shock absorbers then you'll have nothing to support the weight of the vehicle

and you attempted to insult me with, and I quote, "I'm guessing that you run spacers or adjustable coil-overs, thats mall-crawler stuff! Those are just stock replacement add-ons, duals actually require real modification."

first off, no I run neither

second, adjustable coil overs are in NO WAY mall crawler stuff, IF USED WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR... mall crawler is all about bling that you're never going to use... I have a hard time believing that trophy trucks, nascar cup cars, pro-stock drag cars, and so on, put adjustable coil overs on their competition vehicles because "they look neat-o".

third, I'm assuming you're reffering to "spacers" as wheel spacers? do some searching around this forum alone, and you'll find that on most SAS'ed rigs that get on some hard core trails, it's not only a good idea becuase it makes the wheel base wider adding stability on the trail, but it's also NECESSARY in some cases to clear the frame and/or other suspension compenents when running larger tires on the stock Toyota axle

I understand that it was just "a little come back to some attitude", but you might want to wait until you're here a little longer and some people know you a little better before you just bust out the attitude...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-18-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM

Also if you have alot of steel up front like I do, you'll wear the bars out faster and the front end starts to sag.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
what bars are you talking about?

BTW the only dual shock setup you need on a yota is when your prerunnin with long travel and run triple bypass secondaries up front

BTW #2 Bleeder knows all!!!!! Respect and good posting!!!!

@bleeder
No, i was talking about spacers in the coil-over. What do you mean my claimed 2nd gen??? According to your profile you wheel a FORD!!!
Contributing Member

which one is it that's all I'm asking?
and you can't have t-bars on a solid front axle... that's all I'm saying... never has been, never will be; that's two completely different suspension designs
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

@bleeder
No, i was talking about spacers in the coil-over. What do you mean my claimed 2nd gen??? According to your profile you wheel a FORD!!!
oh I don't wheel it

I got rid of my Toy I was trying to use as a DD and got the Ford, which I can now use as a tow rig for the next project Toy
Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PismoJoe
BTW #2 Bleeder knows all!!!!! Respect and good posting!!!!

haha, thanks; just trying to share a little knowledge that I've picked up being around automotives all my life ya know...

nice Taco btw

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-18-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
hey i got a 56 ford thats alive and well!!!! I dont know what they drive in palmdale but afro man definitely knows

Oh and thanks bleeder, didn't see that compliment

Last edited by PismoJoe; 05-18-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Alright let me clarify, Yotaman said "in this case torsion bars" I thought he was talking about the truck in the original post with a soild front axle. Thats why I was confused, I understand that they are two different types of suspension. Thats why i posed the question, I thought maybe there was some kinda suspension I didn't know about. Yotaman was apparently talking about my truck which obviously has IFS, sorry yotaman I miss understood. Back to my point though, I belive that dual shocks and torsion bars are alot less bouncy than any spring with single shock set up on rough trails.

Pismo, I don't think that racist comments are necessary
Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Back to my point though, I belive that dual shocks and torsion bars are alot less bouncy than any spring with single shock set up on rough trails.
well that is true

is just that a lot of people who also drive their weekend trail rigs on a daily basis don't understand that it's also going to make the ride a little stiffer on the road too. but then again that doesn't bother a lot of people, so it's all in personal prefference in the end