86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY cv Armour Plates?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turboboost
If I had a nickel for every CV boot that got destroyed in -45 degree weather and snow hitting it and causing the boot to tear, I'd be a rich man. I personally think this is a great idea, one that I've pondered before.
Ya, I hear that. I dont think people appreciate how cold it gets here, and for how long.

I dont care who makes cv boots. Ive had them go on my vw's, my audi, my bmw, ford, etc etc. Its rubber. It doesnt take much.

And Id rather have a speared through rad, than a blown cv, in the middle of nowhere, any day of the week.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A speared rad to the boys in the south is disaster. Overheating instantly.

When it's -40C and you lose all your coolant:
A. There's plenty of makeshift coolant fluid around called snow.
B. I just take the cardboard covering my ENTIRE radiator and watch the coolant temp. needle plummet to bottom and never come back up.

Sundog,
I like your thinking. I'd build a set. A little bit of armor can go a long ways. Not to mention that no one else has ever done it before. CUSTOM PARTS WHOOO!

Last edited by Stuwy123; 08-25-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 PM

Well ive noticed a common issue on most auto forums; people would rather buy than build.

Im not cool with that. My show cars always had custom, done-by-me wrk to them, and they stood out because of it. Plus its what makes it all worth while. ANYONE can swap out parts.

I'll make a DIY if I find theres some weight to my idea.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a good idea for your area. I lived in the great white north for a while, so I can relate. Since I'm back in California, frozen CV boots or a cardboard covered radiator sounds crazy to me again, lol. Post some pics of your progress, I bet it will look cool.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:37 PM

You bet Malt, and screw you for coming up here and ending back down there. I wish!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I stand corrected. In washington where i live, it only gets to around -5F (-20C)...
This is a pretty good idea if the ice gets on the CV's and freezes the boots, because then you'll have some serious issues with the rubber
Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
I stand corrected. In washington where i live, it only gets to around -5F (-20C)...
This is a pretty good idea if the ice gets on the CV's and freezes the boots, because then you'll have some serious issues with the rubber
Yeah, its hard to put yourself in my environment, but when you see how bad it gets here, you think outside the norm.

plus, even a twig can do damage, so if its cheap, do-able, and doesnt have an major dissadvantages, why not right?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 PM

Yeah, well i'm sure i felt your environment last year when we got 6 feet of snow over the course of a week lol.

If its cheap and do able, more power to ya
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 PM

Northern states get a little of what we do. But, our beaches are frozen in the winter too lol.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 PM

._. wow.
I would love to move to canada, just for the snowboarding.
But, i like having 4 solid seasons down here in washington.
Although, this years spring was part winter too.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 PM

Well, i mean from june to August we get alot of 95f days. And our days have sun for 16 hours in the peak of the season (absolutely awesome for camping, paint balling, outdoor music, etc).

We just have to put up with 6 months of winter weather.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:31 AM

[QUOTE=sundog kid;51213880]
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
uhhm...well the stock T-case skid plate is a joke in my opinion..as well as the gas tank skid..lol

well anything that would be big enough to hurt your cv's..would be blocked by the other stuff around them..quote]

Ive had boots ripped on my sports cars from rocks being spit up. And these cars were all street.

We're going the wrong direction here. Has anyone put their own plates on a truck before?

(Oh, and Ive seen more AC quads bite the dust in our area than any other brand. They should stick to sleds.)
A girl I know from another forum says they "stone" the roads in Alberta. She says windshield replacement is a yearly event.

Maybe make a rock deflector out of a piece of plastic. My Polaris ATV has these in front of the CVs.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Main thing to make sure of is that the plate / armor does catch on anything thru the full range of motion. I would say the steering linkage wound be the primary concern.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:15 AM

Build it, its your truck and can be of your own tast and liking. I have thought about building a set for my rig, when you wheel in the Low Country Swamps in black water, you never know when you are going to find a downed tree pushing through your A Arms and ripping you CV boot off.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:16 AM

For examples of CV boot guards, just check out any UTV (Yamaha Rhino)

here are some aftermarket ones as an example.
http://www.dirtperformance.net/BOOT_GUARDS.html

When you're hammering through brush (treading lightly, it's on my property!), CV boots (and tires) can get poked too.

Hasn't happened on any of my booted 4x4s, but my Rhino needs a boot right now (aftermarket travel kit, guards were tossed by PO).
Old 08-26-2009, 08:15 AM

[quote=broyota;51214024]
Originally Posted by sundog kid

A girl I know from another forum says they "stone" the roads in Alberta. She says windshield replacement is a yearly event.

Maybe make a rock deflector out of a piece of plastic. My Polaris ATV has these in front of the CVs.
Yearly if your lucky. I've done 3 windshields in 14 months before. The problem really lies with all the trucks, SUV's and tractor trailers kicking up.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sundog kid
Plow? lmao. You really should spend a winter where I live. And I would also like to point out that in -40, cv boots tend to get, well a little brittle. Every bit helps, especially if its free.
he is correct things do get very brittle at -40, any rubber well crack like egg shells. The radiator is a issue but, that is fixed with card board. I have seen trucks on fire at -40 from the radiator freezing up, with the windchill at the temp it can get down to -130F easy. The fluid can only get down to -80 so any lower it turns to a block of ice. I like blowing bubbles when its that cold.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:46 PM

get a sonoran steel lower IFS brace. That should be the main thing to worry about. You can then custom build a good skidplate for better flotation on the snow, instead of attaching unnecessary grime-cups to your front CV's. I'll bet the filth that accumulates in that thing is more harmful than the minor damage that may occur from something in the snow. Carry spare axles anyway, just in case you snap one with your motor instead of a rock.
http://www.sonoransteel.com/Early_IFS_Brace.html
Here is a forward facing shot of the underside of a toy from Sonoran's web page with a custom cut aluminum skidplate.

Also, consult Budbuilt and get yourself a nice set of underside skid plates. You can get their front under-IFS skidplate if you don't want to get one made for yourself. I'm still undecided myself. I do like all the rest of their skidplates, and I suggest you check them out.

http://www.budbuilt.com/new/ifs.html

All of these things will help you get flotation on the snow somewhat, and keep you from getting hung up or damaging the parts that are usually seriously worried about by most other Toy owners. Maybe IFS bits from Total Chaos would help, because they have the built in lower skidplates of sorts:

Maybe you could just weld some flat steel plates at an angle coming upwards from the front of the lower control arm so you can knock down some of the snow that would pour in there, but I wouldn't want to risk weakening the metal of my lower control arm for the small bit of addded protection.