86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dealership wants 4500$ for a few repairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Georgiadave
Yes, every dealer I have approached in the last 35 years has tried to overcharge me. My mind is made up on this one.
Sad to say, my 20 years of dealing with them has been the exact same experience...

I have some around about 1.5 hour drive away that are better than the ones around here, but they also expand their dealership every 3 years so it's not like they are hurting for money...

The cost of this repair technically totals the truck...
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1990Runner
it was just for the box itself and im aware that the parts house one is a reman. and it could be a pile of @#$%, but thats not that hard of a swap. I paid 3500 for my truck so why would it be worth spending 3200 on a gear box?
I'm not saying that it is worth spending $3200 to fix a $3500 truck, I totally agree with you on that one, in fact if mine did the same thing, I would be going with a rebuilt one from the parts store,

I guess that in a way I am trying to explain to people that there are reasons why things cost more at the dealership, and that they parts you get from parts-stores aren't the same exact thing (rebuilt vs. brand new), and there is a small chance that you aren't going to end up with a rebuilt "toyota" part, it could be a rebuilt pos that was made in china with cheap-o pot metal, buying from the parts store will get you a lifetime warranty though, so it's a trade off, but personally there are some things that I would rather buy at a dealership (apperently a power steering box isn't one of them) like wires/plugs and timing belts,

I also agree that most of the time it doesn't make any sense to go to the dealer for work you can do yourself, but when you do go there, one of the things that you are paying for is the frustration and time that you save not doing it yourself, and the fact that if something gets screwed up or done incorrectly, they are responsible, if you do it yourself and it's wrong, you only have yourself to blame

And those of you who have said that everytime you go to a dealership they rip you off, well by all means take your business elsewhere, but please don't whine when the $20 water pump you bought off eBay takes a poop on ya

And to the original poster, sorry for turning your thread into a discussion about the merit of dealer prices. How did everything work out for you? Did you ever fix any of this stuff?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Georgiadave
Yes, every dealer I have approached in the last 35 years has tried to overcharge me. My mind is made up on this one.
+1. Even if they're fair, they're just plain expensive. They just order new parts from their parts counter which is $$$. For example, the dealership (I had it in for the relay rod recall) quoted me $2000 to fix my rear power window. Local shop did it for $500 using good used parts (me and power windows just don't get along). The OP could just as easily use a good junkyard PS pump. When you already have 200k miles on your truck it just doesn't make sense to put parts on it to go another 200k miles. Unless you're a real diehard determined to run it forever, you're gonna put 50k, maybe 100k max and somebody's gonna get a practically new PS pump from the junkyard you sell it to!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by b.miller123

I also agree that most of the time it doesn't make any sense to go to the dealer for work you can do yourself, but when you do go there, one of the things that you are paying for is the frustration and time that you save not doing it yourself, and the fact that if something gets screwed up or done incorrectly, they are responsible, if you do it yourself and it's wrong, you only have yourself to blame

And those of you who have said that everytime you go to a dealership they rip you off, well by all means take your business elsewhere?
Yeah, but taking it to an independent shop gets you the same thing. And yeah, I take my business elsewhere and advise anyone else to do the same thing.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZUK
Like someone said, verify where the leak is actually coming from....with that low of a mileage, it would seem more likely to find a loose hose clamp or something.
Toyota power steering pumps do not get power steering fluid....otherwise, they seem to develop leaks. They get ATF...says it right on the cap.

Get genuine Toyota belts....you said you were having the dealer do that...good for you. Seems like so many after-market belts squeak and squeal.....They might say Gates or Goodyear on them but they still just seem so sub-par compared to OEM.

Genuine Toyota spark plugs and wires are the best...there is just no comparison when you visually see an OEM set and a so-called Hi-performance after-market "one size fits 10" set. OEM will last 10 or 20 years.....after-market seems to sputter and act up first time in a heavy rain.
Stay away from Splitfires and Bosch and AC Delco and others. NGK and ND rule.

This is the place I get my parts at 30% savings compared to the dealer(that equals wholesale pricing)
https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html

Happy New Year!
ZUK
NGK iridium's, niehoff wires, PS fluid in my PS pump, and i have no problems!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM

gee, 2700 for factory parts that will last as many miles as yor truck has on it now or 200-300 for aftermarket that wiil need replaced evry 3 months. ill stick with the toyota parts.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 AM

Oh c'mon now - bit of an exaggeration there don't you think? A decent aftermarket part or a good junkyard part lasting 3 months? Please.....

For the record, my rear window is still fine after 2 years. Why shouldn't it be? Mechanic used good, rust-free parts. At $2000 even the dealership recommended I not get it done. Being able to open the taiglgate is sorta important to me, however.......don't know why is PS pump is leaking after 50k miles (too much sitting, I suspect) but a good junkyard PS pump should be good ofr at least 100k miles. And if it saves him $3000. Well, that might be pocket money to you but it's a lot to me!

Last edited by GV27; 01-09-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 AM

The acid test here is the plugs and wires costing $350. The most the parts should be is about $100, and the labor about the same (even if they have to tap a hole or two).
The timing belt seems too cheap, as discussed above
Finally, the two of the three dealerships I deal with rock, so y'all quit yer raggin'
Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 AM

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

I'm pretty much gonna go along with the majority of the responders..it would probably save you some heartache to invest in a hanes manual. If you do decide this is over your head though go find a good independent mechanic that your buddies or neighbors reccomend....the dealer is only good for parts that you can't get at any local auto parts store and NOTHING ELSE! If you do the timing chain yourself invest in metal guides.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by johnsenpa
I took my toyota into the dealership in lombard yesterday and they took about an hour and a half to quote me on

PS gearbox repair and pump repair = 3500$
Timing belt and other belts= 450$
New battery and positive terminal= 126$
New thermal resistor(for the radiator fan)= 101$
New plugs and wires= 350$

Total = WAY TOO MUCH
That quote is insane! I had the PS pump on my 4runner replaced about a year ago and it was only about 350$ including parts and labor, and the pump WAS a genuine toyota part! The price for the timing belt seems OK if it includes a water pump, new idler pulleys, and new cam and crank seals. Thermal resistor???? Plugs should only total about 20$-30$ for decent ones, and really good spark plug wires should run up to about 110$, thats the price on the best wires you can get at any NAPA store. Just my $0.02

Last edited by yotaman90; 01-10-2008 at 08:09 AM.