Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Damn you lug centric rims!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn you lug centric rims!!!

well i have the all-too-common 50 mph wobble that people have been reportin about around here. My front end parts are brand spankin new thanks to a front end rebuild kit. So tie rods and ball joints arent the problem. I just had my tires "aligned" so thats not the problem. The only other thing that i can think of is the whole lug centric rims crap. I looked on gadgets link and the only place that can do um around here are dealerships. Is it worth it takin it to the dealership or not. The wobble doesnt really bother me but if the vibration is gonna start shakin stuff apart then i want to get it fixed. I never liked dealerships because more often then not you leave with more problems then what u came in there with. What do you guys think and could someone tell me the price to have my wheels balanced on one of those fancy machines.
Thanks

Sorry this was more of a rant then a question.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two local dealerships dont even have the adapter...

Old 07-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

blah...
Old 07-21-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about permanent tire balancers. Take a look at roger browns site, he has a good writeup about them.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ce/index.shtml
Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

it sounds like an interestin idea, and if i had the extra money i would definetly invest in a set but as of now, supplies are limited. So basically the question now is, does the vibration of the wheels upset anything as in driveshaft bolts or would everything be fine? If it does upset stuff then wut options do i have to solve this problem. Can i buy a new set of rims or am i just gonna HAVE to take it to the stealership and see wut happens?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im assuming you still have permalocked front axels/hubs? stock rims?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my 4runner has a vibration at 65 and up its sucks driveing on the freeway
Old 07-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
IMHO, 95% of these wobbles are tires that are out of round and/or imbalanced improperly. Some tires are prone to being crappy as well.

Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 PM

I believe you need the Hunter (7000 i believe don't quote me) and the Haweka adapter (or something similar) and you should be set...try Amer. Tire Co.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

yes i have add hubs

got BFG ATs, any known problems with them?

I did a search for that machine and all the shops around here that have that are dealerships and i really didnt wanna take it there unless i HAD to?

will the vibrations effect essential parts of the 4runner or should i just have it done at the dealership?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:22 PM

are your rotors warped? they will create a vibration as well. usually seems to be from 55-65 thats how most of the rotors ive warped have done.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Moto has a valid point. A rotor CAN cause a wabble but you should also feel a pulseing effect when you brake. I'm not trying to split hairs here, but you mention not having the funds but offer new wheels as an alternitive. With the Centramatic install that was linked he only spent $204.99 ($51.24 per Wheel). I know some of the lug-centric balance fee's are quite high depending on the area you live in. I guess what I'm getting at is it seems as though the Centramatic option would be cheaper then buying new wheels and should also help you out no matter what kind of wheel you might decide to switch to in the future. I'll be totally honest. I just bolted up a new set of 15x10 AR Atlas's and STILL get a noticable vibration . I may very well invest in some of these as my next "Upgrade". I too, recently replaced all my front end parts and hope to get alot of miles out of them as well. Any kind of constant vibration in my opinion can't be good for the front end parts. It's just my 2 Cents... Best of luck with this..
Old 07-22-2006, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Hmmmmmmm, yall do have a VERY good point about the rotors. I do feel a kinda pulsing effect whenever i brake. How do i check if they are warped at all or would it be best just to replace them? The only reason i mentioned it being tight on funds is because i would much rather spend 400 dollars buying new rims then spending 400 dollars and gettin rid of a little vibration. That seems like a little waste of money to me but to each his own. On 4Crawlers site he said that Centramatic has discontinued the 15" set and that Sun Tech is the only brand costing about 380 a set. Sorry fellas if it seems like ive been a lil pissed. Just one of them days. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Anyone know how to check if my rotors are warped?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:40 AM

4wheel parts will have what you need to get the rims and tires to balance out. if they don't balance out then you have a problem with the either the tires or the rims. rim issues are not as common as tires but they do happen.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:41 AM

I have a 99 Limited all stock except for the new Toyo open country's. I didn't change from the stock tire size. They added a really bad vibration in the truck but the tire dealer really went the extra mile including buying what sounds like the tool you guys referenced above. Also he found one of the fronts was out of round and replaced it.

Anyways the vibration is almost gone but is still ever so slightly there at around 65 to 70 mph.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:34 AM

you can also try in weight media that goes inside the tire itself that automaticly adjust ,i have heard lots of good things about that.
http://4x4trailhunters.com/article.php?id=18

also make sure when you install your rims ,use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs ,toyotas are bad about warping the rotors due to uneven lug torque.

Last edited by ironroad9c1; 07-22-2006 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

well im bout to buy some of Innovative Balancings DynaBeads and all the goodies i need to go with that. The idea looks a lil iffy to me. Has anyone on here tried this stuff or anything like it? Is it something worth investing in or is it a bunch of crap? Thanks for the link ironroad
Old 07-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RednekYank
well im bout to buy some of Innovative Balancings DynaBeads and all the goodies i need to go with that. The idea looks a lil iffy to me. Has anyone on here tried this stuff or anything like it? Is it something worth investing in or is it a bunch of crap? Thanks for the link ironroad
Yeah I tried Equal tire balancer stuff and then had to pay to have it removed. Didn't work for me. My advice is try a shop with a Hunter "road force" balancer and watch to make sure they use the force part of it.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

ooo, if you dont mind me askin, what was so wrong with the equal stuff?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RednekYank
ooo, if you dont mind me askin, what was so wrong with the equal stuff?
Well here's the jest of it: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=Equal

You'll find much more searching

Quick Reply: Damn you lug centric rims!!!