Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

crappy gas mileage forever

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your tires are too big as others have said. Don't bother chasing up other trees until you solve the obvious problem you created. You need to regear, period.

If you can't hold OD you are also running with the torque converter unlocked. It locks in 4th (and 3rds if the OD is turned off) under a certain amount of pedal demand. You need so much more pedal you can't even hold 4th. Those new tires pushed you over the threshold where you are not just paying for the higher mass, inertial, and aerodynamic drag of the tires but also the slippage and resulting fluid shear due to the unlocked torque converter.

Regear or get smaller tires or put up with bad mileage. Those are your choices. All the other issue brought up are fine to check but none will restore your mpg an appreciable amount until you regear.

Frank
Old 12-06-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another idea is to run an aftermarket cam in your 22re for more power. I have yet to try one but some guys on here swear by them, saying they make more power. That part I never get though, when I dropped a cam in my civic I had to retune the fuel and ignition maps, for the 22res all you have to do is install the cam and do valve lash.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The timing chain might not be properly aligned. Poor valve timing could cause all of the symptoms he is listing:

poor gas mileage
no power
Old 12-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Aside from gearing issues, all the things mentioned would also cause poor engine running problems. If the motor's running fine, NONE of those things need to be addressed. Plus, on some things the CEL would be coming on if the diagnostic functions are working properly. Brakes sticking would be audibly noticable....and aromatically. I second what elripster says. Besides, if you don't have $800 to spare (note, regearing could cost you probably half that if you swap the t'irds yourself....not hard) where are you going to come up with money for another vehicle....considering probably the next "used" one (used....because you won't get enough from your present truck to buy a "new" one) will also need work???? You have a pretty neat rig and have done some great things to it. Why not keep it?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

If you plan on keeping it, regear and look into a new cam. I'm running 33x12.50's on my 22re, 5speed with stock gearing in the diffs (4.10's), and threw in a Engnbldr 261 cam. I don't expect it to go fast, in fact the fastest I'll go is about 65. As of right now, I'm still getting around 18 MPG. I'll tell you though, I can feel the engine pull harder though from about 1800-3500 RPM's with the cam in. I'll regear when its time to ditch these tires and jump up to 35's, then I'll go with 5.29's.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 PM

well my engine is running fine and i just tuned it up along with setting the timing/idle, and it aint the cat cause i just got it checked yeaterday, doubt my brakes are sticking cause i will roll places in neutral on barely an incline

well it sounds like i should either regear or deal with the mileage, cause i dont have money for regearing so i dont have money for a new cam

i dont really understand the cat being locked or unlocked, what does it do when it is locked/unlocked?

why not keep it?

well originally when i bought this truck it was just supposed to be a vehicle just for the year and then sell it. so i bought it with selling it not to far off. i extremly enjoy having a lifted truck, but it is not necessary for what i end up doing so a yota with no lift would work just perfectly, of cource i would end up putting mud tires on it with a locker in the rear as well, and i realllllllly want a 5 speed rather than the automatic, the auto gets annoying.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Here's an experiment:

Buy a set of smaller tires, like 28" or something, or borrow some from a buddy who has an extra set.

Run them for a while and see if your mileage returns to 20. If so, then leave them on. If you don't get a significant mileage benefit, then you know the issue is something else.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 PM

good idea
i think i am going to try that this weekend
Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 AM

i to just calculated my mpg tonight with odometer corrections, and with my 4.10s and 33's i just got 11.3mpg...time for some new spark plugs and possibly an o2 sensor =(
Old 12-07-2007, 06:04 PM

ok so i tried swapping tires with my buddies truck today they were 245/75R/16 rather than stock size so they were only 2 inches bigger.
and the power problem is DEFINATLY the tires i could cruise and even speed up in overdrive with no problem going 75.
so now that i know it is the tires, im mostlikly going to sell the truck, so you will probably see a thread in the for sale section soon
thanks for all the help
Old 12-07-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalyota
ok so i tried swapping tires with my buddies truck today they were 245/75R/16 rather than stock size so they were only 2 inches bigger.
and the power problem is DEFINATLY the tires i could cruise and even speed up in overdrive with no problem going 75.
so now that i know it is the tires, im mostlikly going to sell the truck, so you will probably see a thread in the for sale section soon
thanks for all the help
Do I have this correct? You have a perfectly good truck. You put tires on it that are too big which probably cost a fair bit of money. The truck then gets terrible fuel economy. Now, instead of, for example trading those bigger tires for ones that fit you sell the whole truck? I mean if you don't ever need a truck sure a car will save you $ but if you do, how is this going to save you in the end to get a vehicle which you likely don't know the history and could even have many of these issues?

Your call and I'll admit that will cure the fuel cost issue good (no vehicle, no fuel costs) but it seems drastic.

Frank
Old 12-07-2007, 08:27 PM

why not just spend the cash and regear? or get some cheap car to use as a dd w/ good gas milage?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

If it comes down to worring about gas mileage, I'd just take the lift off, sell it, take the tires, sell them, buy some tires off craigslist or even trade the tires for a smaller set and keep the truck.

Your mileage will be better, and when the time comes that you need to haul something you'll have a truck.

My truck doesn't get great gas mileage, and I rarely ever have anything in the bed of the truck besides my spare tire. But I hate needing a truck and not having anyone to borrow from.

Plus it always seems to go this way, sell the truck, buy a car (either making payments and not really saving any money in the long run....why???) 6 months later, you hate the fact that you sold the truck and sell the car to get a truck again.

Just my .02 cents.