86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clock connector for 1988 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clock connector for 1988 pickup

I am supposed to have an unused 4 wire connector for the digital clock. I have a 1988 pickup. No a/c. Bought the clock from ebay and I cannot find this connector.

This is the square hole for the clock. Behind the hole there are 2 connectors back there - both are being used - and even if I were to disconnect them they would never plug into the back of the clock. I thought maybe over the past 19 years the connector had fallen down and below the radio - but I do not see any unused connector for a clock behind the radio.

So I removed the glove box. There are 2 unused connectors there. None of which would plug into the back of the clock, plus the wires are so short they would never reach the clock. Of these 2 unused connectors 1 has 3 wires and the other has 2, but neither connector has the right shape to plug into the clock and, as I said, the wires are so short they could not reach the clock area.

This is the back of the clock. I cannot find a connector that will plug into the back. So, where is it?

Last edited by Tool Pants; 01-08-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

should be there, keep looking, maybe more tucked up in the dash above the heater controls.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks. Still looking, but still can't find it.

This is the heater controls.

Removed the 3 screws for the heater controls and lowered the unit. Nothing up there except the air ducts and dust.

The clock fits, but I cannot find anything to plug it into.

If there is a hidden 4 wire connector for this clock then I cannot find it.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 01-06-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:00 PM

mine was really tucked in behind the radio, had to pull it out to find it. piece of cake after that.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:40 AM

According to the Performance Products catalog "2WD 4 speed base model requires wiring harness #300239 at $22.95 each."
Old 01-07-2007, 04:52 AM

So maybe I do not have the connector.

I looked up that part number and it is listed for 1989-1995 2 WD 4 speed base.

I have a 1988 2WD 5 speed. I guess I have the base because I just added the SR5 instrument cluster from a 4Runner, and I assume that if I did not have the base it would already have had the clock. But, it does not show that the 300239 harness is needed for 1984-1988 pickup.

I looked behind the radio and could not find it. I'll take one more look and then in a few hours I will have to put everyting back together, with or without a clock.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
You could always make your own harness.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:36 AM

You know, I never really wanted a clock. I have a watch and the radio has a clock.

When I bought the 1988 in 1989 as a used truck there was a hole next to the heater controls. Lived with it all these years like that. Figured the former owner removed the blanking plate or clock.

Last week, 18 years later, I put in the SR5 cluster. Then I thought it is time to get rid of that hole. I could not find a blanking plate on ebay, but I found a clock, lots of them.

And now I cannot find the connector all the ebay sellers said was there....

Old 01-08-2007, 11:24 AM

Pulled the radio and still could not find the connector. Either I have the only 1988 in the world without it, or I just can't find it, or it was cut off.

I bought the truck when it was 1 year old. The original owner messed around with the wiring, I believe for the radio. The radio was gone when I bought it.

I looked for 4 wires that would have gone to the connector as I do have some cut wires. I found 4 wires together that were black/white, white/black, green/red, and solid gray. I am using 2 of those wires to charge a cell phone as they are constant hot and ground. These 4 wires are in the area of the clock location.

Per the shop manual the clock wires should be black/white, white/black, green, and red green. The colors don't exactly match the 4 cut wires I have, but maybe the clock connector was at the end before I owned it. I suspect the prior owner cut off the clock connector to use the wires for a radio. I do not think it had a clock because the screw hole that would hold a clock in place looked unused.

I put it back together without the clock. Then I tested the clock with 2 wires to the battery to see if it even worked as I may give the clock to a friend with a 1985, but I could not get the clock to work.... More about that in the next post.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 01-08-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:17 PM

I know next to nothing about electrical stuff.

The back of the ebay clock has 4 pins waiting for my missing in action connector.

I removed the back of the clock to see if the pins were labeled (I have old eyes). They are. From left to right. L+, GND, D+, and C+.

I hooked up a wire from the GND pin to the negative post of a 12 volt battery. I assume GND is ground.

Then I hooked up a wire to the battery positive post and touched the other end of that wire to C+. Nothing. Then I touched the end of the positive wire to D+, then L+. Still nothing.

I figure this clock needs constant power for the memory. Switched power to see the display when you turn the key on. A way to adjust the night time illumination. And a ground.

Did I test the clock wrong or do I have an ebay dud?

Last edited by Tool Pants; 01-08-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 AM

Anyone? Did I test the clock correctly before I tell the ebay seller it does not work.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ii installed a clock into an 88 4runner, the connector was hard to find, but when I had the dashpad off for replacement (another tricky job) I found it tucked in the harness, above the radio, i think i remember correctly.
From the 88 FSM
Pin 1-GND
Pin 2-LIGHTS
Pin 3-12v
Pin 4-IGN
One might assume you need to feed 12v to pins 3 and 4 to get the clock to show you something.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:10 AM

Just put the clock in the hole whether it works or not just to fill the gap...
Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by misterzee
Ii installed a clock into an 88 4runner, the connector was hard to find, but when I had the dashpad off for replacement (another tricky job) I found it tucked in the harness, above the radio, i think i remember correctly.
From the 88 FSM
Pin 1-GND
Pin 2-LIGHTS
Pin 3-12v
Pin 4-IGN
One might assume you need to feed 12v to pins 3 and 4 to get the clock to show you something.
Hope this helps.
You are correct. I hooked up a ground wire to the GND. I ran a 12 volt wire to 2 pins at the same time, D+ and C+. The clock came on. I tried D+ and C+ at the same time only because my alligator clip would make contact with both pins.

I have the 1988 shop manual. Unfortunately the wiring diagram has the pins labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4. The pins on back of the clock itself are not numbered 1-4. As in the above pic, the pins on the back of the clock are labeled L+, GND, D+, and C+.

Does anyone know how they corolate?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
You are correct. I hooked up a ground wire to the GND. I ran a 12 volt wire to 2 pins at the same time, D+ and C+. The clock came on. I tried D+ and C+ at the same time only because my alligator clip would make contact with both pins.

I have the 1988 shop manual. Unfortunately the wiring diagram has the pins labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4. The pins on back of the clock itself are not numbered 1-4. As in the above pic, the pins on the back of the clock are labeled L+, GND, D+, and C+.

Does anyone know how they corolate?
If this is what you mean...

Pin 1(GND) = GND
Pin 2(LIGHTS) = L+
Pin 3(12v) = C+
Pin 4 (IGN) = D+

Ground is kinda obvious,
L is for lights (so you can dim it with the instrument panel control),
C means constant (kinda like a memory function),
D stands for display (if the key isn't in the ignition, the display won't show up)
Old 01-11-2007, 05:11 PM

Thank you. That is what I meant.

One of the things that confused me is that Pin #2 which is shown on the wiring diagram as "From TAIL Fuse", which you say is the same as L+, did not go to directly the knob to adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster and, I would guess, to adjust the brightness of the clock.

I may give this clock another chance in my 1988, or donate it to my friend's 1985.

I called the 1985 owner today to see if he had the connector. He could not find it. So, the cycle repeats itself.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am supposed to have an unused 4 wire connector for the digital clock. I have a 1988 pickup. No a/c. Bought the clock from ebay and I cannot find this connector.
Its there. Look down behind the radio. It will be taped up in a little loop. It might be down as far as under the pocket area. Now I suppose someone might have chopped it off hooking up an aftermarket stereo, as it has the same needed power inputs as a stereo. One wire will be white, a green one, red and not sure of the other wire.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the things that confused me is that Pin #2 which is shown on the wiring diagram as "From TAIL Fuse", which you say is the same as L+, did not go to directly the knob to adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster and, I would guess, to adjust the brightness of the clock.
I'm thinking that the brightness just changes modes from day-bright to night-dim, with the presence of the L+ 12v.
the wiring diagram in your book actually tells you what the wire colors are to your connector.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by misterzee
I'm thinking that the brightness just changes modes from day-bright to night-dim, with the presence of the L+ 12v.
the wiring diagram in your book actually tells you what the wire colors are to your connector.
That's what I meant... oops
Old 01-12-2007, 02:59 PM

Thank you all.

Could not understand why a wire ran to the tail lights, and not to the knob to adjust the brightness of the instrument cluster. Looks like clock display brightness is therefore just 2 speeds. Bright and dim, if the headlights are on or off.

Before I gave up on the connector hunt 4 days ago and put the dash back together, I glued a square piece of scrap sheet plastic to the back of the display icon trim for the heater controls so that I would not have to see the hole.

Never really wanted a clock. Just got tired of looking at that hole.

Now that I know the clock works I think I will tell my 1985 pickup owner friend that he can have the clock if he can find his connector....

Quick Reply: Clock connector for 1988 pickup