Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

chasing down this idle demon

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got new throttle installed. Sort of fixed the issue. The reason I say sort of is because this other (used) TB has another issue. The throttle pulley sticks a little and wont close all the way. It needs to be greased or oiled. I can force it to close all the way by pushing it and it idles fine and seals up nicely.

The TPS is adjusted dead on. Sat there for an hour watching oprah and tapping the TPS back and fourth getting it just right. It's adjusted properly.

There's also a loud hissing noise coming from the TB now. I just installed a new gasket on it. May not be a vacuum leak, but I'll check it out. Sounds like air just going through it.

Any advice on greasing or oiling the pulley?

-edit-
i played with it some more. Im out of wd40. Im heading to walmart and autozone tomorrow and picking up some pb blaster and a return spring. If the pb blaster doesnt work i'm going to rig up a custom return spring.

Anyone else have issues with throttle pulleys sticking after a good cleaning? I soaked this in vinegar overnight to get the corroded bits off and then i cleaned it with parts cleaner. I think whatever was greased or oiled got washed away.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 05-06-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:53 PM

update

new TB fixed the idle. Oiled the pulley and that's fixed. Now i have a check engine light to deal with. Wonder what that is. It just happened on the way home after i stopped to pick up pb.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Congrats! I thought the play on your OG throttle body was the issue. Good on finding it and fixing it.

After I fixed my issue and drove it over 300 miles I had two incidences that made my check engine light go off. One incident, I was off-roading in the desert and going very fast in a rough area. Somehow a spark plug cable detached from the Cap. Easy fix. Cleared the codes and attached cable correctly. Same day a n hour or two later after going over some large rocks it came on again. Looked under the hood and a vacume line that runs into the charcoal canister had came off. Put it back on and cleared the codes.

I have now drove the sucker for over 200 miles on the streets and freeway without any issues. I hope everything is fine now.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think its supposed to close all the way...if so, i think something needs to be re adjusted cant remember what. I think it prevents backfire. sorry for being vague, it just remember I thought it should close all the way when I replaced mine and found out otherwise.

if you forced it close with your hands, you may have tweeked your tps adj a bit.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
The TB should close all the way. YOu adjust your idle with the idle adjustment screw.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by socal_style
^ Congrats! I thought the play on your OG throttle body was the issue. Good on finding it and fixing it.

After I fixed my issue and drove it over 300 miles I had two incidences that made my check engine light go off. One incident, I was off-roading in the desert and going very fast in a rough area. Somehow a spark plug cable detached from the Cap. Easy fix. Cleared the codes and attached cable correctly. Same day a n hour or two later after going over some large rocks it came on again. Looked under the hood and a vacume line that runs into the charcoal canister had came off. Put it back on and cleared the codes.

I have now drove the sucker for over 200 miles on the streets and freeway without any issues. I hope everything is fine now.
Hrm. I thought it could have been the #4 spark plug cable, since I removed that earlier today to show a co-worker what a dead cylinder sounds like. Ill remove it again and pop it back on and see if that help. I tried clearing the codes, but the check engine light came back on.

What I find very odd is that the new TB is almost identical to my old one, but I had to loosen the throttle cable all the way before I could put the cable into the throttle pulley. I checked the rotation of the throttle pulley on the new TB with the rotation of the old one, and they match perfectly, so I have no idea what happened that caused me to need to adjust the throttle cable.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 05-08-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM

My CEL is still on. I havent pulled codes just yet. But...

Occasionally at a stop my idle will slowly climb. It will slowly go up and up and up and then it will sputter down to the proper RPM. I found this out in the drive through today.

Is this a bad TPS? or something else. I'm sure the CEL is attributed to the TPS and/or o2 sensor.