Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

chasing down this idle demon

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also think it's a vacuum leak. Just can't figure out where. I did spray the engine with WD-40 (used up both of my cans :-( ) and I also tried water and a propane torch. Still no fix.

I have another problem that might be related. I tried to push in and close the butterfly valve more to see if it wasn't closing all the way. It sort of sticks now. If I let off the gas pedal too quickly and the butterfly valve snaps shut, it will stick, and I have to push in the gas pedal extra hard to get it to unstick, after which it will revv up really quickly like I'm trying to race the person next to me. Even when pushing in the butterfly valve the idle diesnt go down.

I also noticed a hiss coming from the front of the throttle body. Is this normal?

I've replaced every gasket in the throttle body except the one that connects the front piece of the throttle body (name?) to the big block half. I'm going to replace that one as soon as I can order one. What's the name of the gasket I'm talking about (if you can decrypt my idiocy)

I've already determines it can't be vacuum lines, because 1) those are all new and 2) I have a spare length of tubing I've cut into 3rds and slowly replaced hoses 3 at a time.

-edit-
I found a throttle body with a TPS attached for sale for $30. Should I just swap throttle bodies? Or should I try the gasket first? The reason I ask is because my dashpot already seems messed up, as is other stuff apparently.

-edit again-
just ordered the gasket from autozone. This will be the last and only gasket to replace in the throttle body before it's determined the leak has to be coming from somewhere else. I guess I might have to replace ALL hoses AGAIN if this fails.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 04-15-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey dave, i replaced my throttle body gasket when we put my new motor in, and again when i 'upgraded' the tps screws. no change for me. and $30 for a tb with tps? thats a sweet deal...wish could find deals like that! let us know what you find....my still battling mine too
Old 04-18-2009, 04:48 AM

I've been sitting on the though for a few days now, but I think my throttle body is toast. The idle goes down when I force the butterfly valve to close all the way. The idles will drop to about 500-550 RPM. But I can only force it to close by hand and I have to push hard. So that lets me know it has to be something with the valve or throttle body itself.

Am I correct in thinking this way?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave
I've been sitting on the though for a few days now, but I think my throttle body is toast. The idle goes down when I force the butterfly valve to close all the way. The idles will drop to about 500-550 RPM. But I can only force it to close by hand and I have to push hard. So that lets me know it has to be something with the valve or throttle body itself.

Am I correct in thinking this way?
If it doesn't have a bunch of gunk holding it back, you could have something bent. Not sure how it would GET bent, but there you go. I haven't read thru the entire thread again, but if you haven't already, I'd clean it out good with carb/throttle body cleaner & see if that helps. Otherwise, you may have to replace it.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My old Tahoe had similar issues and it was the butterfly was not closing all the way, just a millimeter or so, because of some gunk buildup. Some carb cleaner and an old toothbrush solved the problem in 10 minutes.

You have tried this I assume?

To Chauch: wd-40 sprayed on a leaking vacuum line will increase the idle as the motor is sucking it in and burning it. If you are spraying a line and the idle picks up, you have a leak on that line.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
My old Tahoe had similar issues and it was the butterfly was not closing all the way, just a millimeter or so, because of some gunk buildup. Some carb cleaner and an old toothbrush solved the problem in 10 minutes.

You have tried this I assume?
Yup. That's what caused this problem I think. I had the whole throttle body off and cleaned it all and removed the IAC and cleaned that as well. Ever since then i think the butterfly valve hasn't been closing all the way.

Maybe when I was unscrewing some of the screws for the IAC, i help the TB still with my foot. So I stepped on it and pressed it to the ground. Maybe that bend or broke something. That's all i can think of, but I really didnt push hard enough to bend or berak anything (i dont think, anyway.)

Anyone in Northern Colorado with a throttle body they want to get rid of?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 04-18-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Operator
Had a similar issue once. When it is warm and idles high, can you move the butterfly valve by hand right outside the throttlebody and push it further back to idle? My solution for me was to just WD 40 the whole thing. Also the dashpot assembly could be sticking. That is the little container that sits on the side of the throttlebody underneath where the throttle cable attaches and slows down the closing valve at the very end. If it is stuck it will not let the butterfly close all the way.

Like I wrote before... An other thing to try might be an extra return spring. The original one might be worn and doesn't have enough return force any more. Unfortunately you can't get just the spring from Toyota, have to buy a whole new throttlebody... But an ordinary return spring from any auto parts store might already do the trick... just gotta fab something up to make it work.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:10 AM

Fug, I can hear the high pitched whistling sound coming from the engine bay..... I've sprayed the e out of the visible vac lines, with no results.... I did however notice a new gargling type sound coming from the airbox/maf now........

Are there a whole lot of vac lines underneath the intake manifold?

Anyone else hear that gargling sound before?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Operator
Like I wrote before... An other thing to try might be an extra return spring. The original one might be worn and doesn't have enough return force any more. Unfortunately you can't get just the spring from Toyota, have to buy a whole new throttlebody... But an ordinary return spring from any auto parts store might already do the trick... just gotta fab something up to make it work.
I think that might be it. I'll check autozone or napa for a return spring. If not I'll just fork over money for a new throttle body. Can you at least get those from toyota or autozone?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:20 AM

Thorttlebody I think auto zone can get that too, they just have to order it. Try removing the dashpot assembly first to see if it is sticking and holding it back, that is a cheaper part to replace (around $20). It sits on the side where to throttlecable attaches underneath the the axis of the butterfly valve.

Return springs you can get a autozone in all shapes and sizes. I had the same issue and I was already standing there and looking at them. But then it turned out to be a stickingf dashpot for me. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 AM

^ As I stated earlier, I had a similar problem to yours. I was finally able to resolve my issue.

My dashpot was sticking out, not allowing the throttle to drop back down to its resting position. A new Dashpot from the dealer is about $130. I did not replace mine though, I just messed with it, and it worked. If down the line I get teh same problem, I will replace it.

Also, try removing the air-hose at the bottom of the dashpot assembly, give it a run around the block and see it solves the problem. That little canister at the end of it might be plugged.

I actually replaced my TPS too & sparkplug cables since I was getting several check engine codes. Its been about 2-3 days now, of driving around, and no more check engine lights have reappeared.

Last edited by socal_style; 04-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by socal_style
^ As I stated earlier, I had a similar problem to yours. I was finally able to resolve my issue.

My dashpot was sticking out, not allowing the throttle to drop back down to its resting position. A new Dashpot from the dealer is about $130. I did not replace mine though, I just messed with it, and it worked. If down the line I get teh same problem, I will replace it.

Also, try removing the air-hose at the bottom of the dashpot assembly, give it a run around the block and see it solves the problem. That little canister at the end of it might be plugged.

I actually replaced my TPS too & sparkplug cables since I was getting several check engine codes. Its been about 2-3 days now, of driving around, and no more check engine lights have reappeared.
Couldnt be dashpot, as mine is sort of stuck being pressed in. There's about half an inch of space between the dashpot and the throttle pulley. I took some pliers and tried to pull it out. No go on that.

I still have the throttle stop screw unscrewed too much and when the throttle snaps back really quickly, it still sticks in place and idles really low. That's how I know it has to be something with the throttle body.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAUCH
Fug, I can hear the high pitched whistling sound coming from the engine bay..... I've sprayed the e out of the visible vac lines, with no results.... I did however notice a new gargling type sound coming from the airbox/maf now........

Are there a whole lot of vac lines underneath the intake manifold?

Anyone else hear that gargling sound before?

The gurgling sound is probably your pair valve hose. There are two large hoses coming out of the VAFM that connect just above the alternator. Make sure they're on.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:18 PM

Yeah those hoses are on, Listening to the one in closer to the front I can hear the sound coming right from it.... but not sure how to stop it.... I might take a hammer out and smash this fuggin thing soon
Old 04-18-2009, 02:26 PM

I went and messed with the throttle some more. There's a lot of play in the throttle pulley when it's open. I made a video.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkKrrsnd8pM[/YOUTUBE]

No play when it's closed, but when it's open it wobbles. Is this normal or okay?

If the return spring looks a little greasy...it is. It was binding and causing the pulley to seize up.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 04-18-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:36 PM

Been doing some more searching on throttle body repairs. Are there any seals on the 22re throttle body shaft? I don't suppose those can be ordered from the dealer. I've been searching online for the past hour.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:27 AM

no comments on the video? come on, you guys can't go out and jiggle your throttle butterfly valve and see if that's normal? C'mon!!! puh-lease!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 AM

Hey dave, I just got to work and checked my throttle linkage and I have little to no play in it. What happened to the tb and tps you were gonna get?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 AM

Check the PCV valve, might be stuck open.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by sas'd22re
Hey dave, I just got to work and checked my throttle linkage and I have little to no play in it. What happened to the tb and tps you were gonna get?
I'm still looking to get another TB and TPS. But if I can fix this one, I'd prefer to do that. But in the meantime I'm still shopping around for one.

So you didn't notice any play with the throttle open? I only see play when the throttle is open. Not when it's closed.

I don't think PCV valve could be an issue. 1) the PCV valve is only a month old, and 2) I just took it out and cleaned it as soon as I got home after reading the reply. Still no changed. Also sprayed some cleaner down the PCV hose to clear out any gunk. Just to be sure, I also stuck the old PCV in the truck and noticed no change. (it's a good idea to keep old parts in case the new one is faulty or defective)

-edit-

i think I have everything narrowed down. I took off my throttle body to try and fix it. it's not fixable. I took some pictures of the butterfly valve. I shined it at the light to see if there was a big gap. There's a pretty noticeable gap. Check out the pics.

http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0234z.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0233w.jpg

Pictures are preserved in their original resolution, so they're pretty big.

I also moved the throttle pulley to check the play in the shaft going through it. It seems the 2 screws on the butterfly valve arent tight. There's a significant amount of play for the valve to rattle left and right.

So I think this thread is coming to a conclusion. All I can do now is order a new TB and see if that fices it.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 04-20-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: chasing down this idle demon