Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chain or strap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
http://www.jackstoolshed.zoovy.com/p...&utm_campaign=
26 bucks...

i wheel my 2by as well, but always use straps when pulling trucks out. chains are for trees
Okay...so you found a strap for $26...do you win a prize? Would you like me to hook it up to my antenna? My shifter? Because there IS no place to hook it up to my truck without adding clevices (d-rings/hooks) whatever they are called.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ok fine.... http://www.trail-gear.com/trail-armor.html
10 bucks a hit.. hell ask me nicely and i might even give you a discount.

i'm saying, there are inexpensive ways of doing it right. chains are not it.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by littlecommando
but, straps can break, chains dont break
chain do break but unlike a strap a chain will destroy whatever gets in its way.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went cheap on my first tow strap and picked one of these up from harbor freight ( http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36612 ). I used a cut off disk on my angle grinder and removed the hooks. I've used it a half a dozen times and I have yet to snap one. YMMV

I now have a 3" 30,000lb tow strap I picked up from 4wheel parts for $30 that I used in really sticky situations and also as a tree-saver for my winch. Maybe I'm just lazy, but in most cases I never feel like getting the larger strap out so I just use the cheap harbor freight one.

While on the subject, for people getting their first tow straps, should they get a normal tow strap or a snatch strap?
Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
snatch strap. it has more strech.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Always use a snatch or recovery strap for pulling people out of stucks.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
x100000 on the strap. chains are a no-no for most vehicle recovery. no "give" in them so theres a much higher chance of doing damage to either truck or the chain breaking, and they DO break.

if you have a trailer hitch thats your recovery point (assuming it's frame mounted, not the dinky bumper-mount hitch). thread one end of the strap through the stuck vehicle (frame, hitch, whatever) and through its own loop then the free end put the loop in your hitch, put your hitch pin through it and you're good to go. no shackles needed. shackles make it much easier though.

the good ole "newspaper" trick is a life-saver as far as not having to try to get out permanent knots!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 86tuning
Take the knot out BEFORE you yank on it. Do you think you'll ever get a knot out of a strap after there's been TONS of force on it?
Yeah i kinda shi* the bed on that one, it was dark out and i just wanted to get towed out so my buddy hooked it up... Later that morning i noticed it had a nice knot it in.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Okay...so you found a strap for $26...do you win a prize? Would you like me to hook it up to my antenna? My shifter? Because there IS no place to hook it up to my truck without adding clevices (d-rings/hooks) whatever they are called.
Where the hell are you going to hook a chain then?!!!! If you are looping the chain around something, you can do the same with a snatch strap. I've pulled out plenty of rigs/cars that had no tow points with my snatch strap. Just about everytime I go to the local dunes, I do this. You just loop it around the frame/crossmember etc... through the end loop and back to the tow rig.

I bet you have more places to hook a strap to than this WRX did!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 AM

I bet you have more places to hook a strap to than this WRX did!
[/QUOTE]

SWEEETTT I've always wanted to take a wrx offroadin lol
Old 11-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 91FREERUNNER
SWEEETTT I've always wanted to take a wrx offroadin lol
Apparently it works well
Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
Apparently it works well
yeah... til you 'really' get off road.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM

but I gotta know...
why are you so suddenly into bondage, 91Toyota?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:12 PM

Sorry bud, but only reason I get stuck is because of loss of traction on something stupid. I NEVER need to yank...and a chain right now fits my bill way better. I WILL use the chain however for dragging crap if needed.
Just a little question here. Why did you bother creating a thread asking what you should go with, only to buy the opposite of what the majority of people told you to do. And then try to argue with the people who disagree with you're decision. Doesn't make much sence to me.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by JasonWin
Just a little question here. Why did you bother creating a thread asking what you should go with, only to buy the opposite of what the majority of people told you to do. And then try to argue with the people who disagree with you're decision. Doesn't make much sence to me.
You know, I have to agree. We all give you advice to go with a strap, but you ignore all common sense and reason and go with a chain because it "fits your bill".

If you're going to ask for advice and ignore it completely, don't bother asking next time.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Fine...I'll buy a strap tomorrow. The main thing is is I have no place to hook it up to. Even if I buy those hooks where do I put them in the rear? I don't have a hitch either.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 PM

Bought the chain cuz I needed something that night...lol. Sorry, but don't get all butt hurt. Its not that big of a deal. Chain would be fine for my application but I want to be safer and I'll be using it with my future diesel. lol
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
but I gotta know...
why are you so suddenly into bondage, 91Toyota?
Your mom really likes to tie me up

Yes...thats true. I posted it hoping to get a "really quick" response but didn't. So I got a chain and went into snow where I got stuck several times but did not need it...3rd gear works well...haha

But sorry about that. Hope you don't hate me now cuz you took your time to read another one of my stupid threads
Old 11-06-2008, 08:16 PM

Your mom really likes to tie me up

Yes...thats true. I posted it hoping to get a "really quick" response but didn't. So I got a chain and went into snow where I got stuck several times but did not need it...3rd gear works well...haha

But sorry about that. Hope you don't hate me now cuz you took your time to read another one of my stupid threads
My mom died a few years ago but I'm sure that if she would have known you, she would have tied you up and left you with a leatherman, some thread and some bailing wire for you to figure out how to get your own self out.
... she did that to me once...
... except didn't tie me up.

yer 2wd... so I'd suggest a few straps, a come-along, about 200' of 3/8" wire or 1/2" rope, a pulley, and about 50' of 3/8" chain with some quick-links.

...and enough common sense to not get stuck.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-06-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:24 PM

don't be hatin on the 2wds...you can't handle 90rwhp on 2400lbs of japanese high strength steel. And mines faster I also have an upgraded blue smoke coming from the exhaust...can't buy that! haha

Last edited by 91Toyota; 11-06-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Chain or strap?