Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Carbon fiber hood with scoop for 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94x4
albeit minimumly, but it would still help the engine to stay cooler... surely you'll have to agree with this, afterall, that very same radiator that cools the "water" in our engines is air cooled.
So if there was a structure fire that you were trying to put out while using your logic, filling up a Dixie cup and tossing it into the fire would be a worthy attempt at extinguishing the fire?
Of course it may help, but when you are talking that minimally, it does not make a difference enough to warrant it to be even considered effective. And as for your air cools the water theory, of course it does, but a scoop doesn't effect the radiator, now does it?

I'm not trying to butt heads with you or anything
You sure about that? It sure seems to me you tried telling me my facts I stated are false. All I ever tried to state to the guy was that if he is going to spend money based on the idea that a carbon fiber hood scoop might make his engine run cooler, better, and faster, then he is wasting his money and there are other alternatives. If you would like, next time someone is leaning towards those tendencies, I will just allow them to blow their money instead of trying to guide them to make an intelligent decision.

I'm not telling him not to get it. I'm telling him I think carbon fiber is some of the cheapest looking crap existing today in the automotive world. You guys think it looks cool. So what? But when it comes to the functionality of a scoop as you have claimed, I believe you are guiding him with false claims of what a scoop could offer to his rig.

I don't want to get in a flame war with this. It's pointless. Take my advise for what it is worth, factual advise on the functionality of hood scoops that he was unaware of. Why you jumped in this thread on my case is beyond me

No hard feelings, but I am a bit more hesitant about pointing out some folks misconceptions in the future.... :pat:
Old 07-08-2005, 12:57 PM

"Structure fires...Dixie cups", dude, you are really blowing things way out there with your highly objective and somewhat slanted examples that you offer to support your reasoning, it's actually almost comical.

Of course the "... scoop does'nt effect the radiator", DUUHHH. I was merely utilizing the "air cools the radiator" as an analogy to reference the fact that "air" could also provide cooling for the engine as well.

You ask if I'm sure that "I'm not trying to butt heads with you or anything..." and then go on to insinuate that I "... jumped in this thread on [your] case..."

I'll answer "Yes, I'm sure" to the first part, and then direct you to your post, #17, in this thread wherein it was you who "jumped" on me and started this whole bit of supposition and conjecture between us whereas my interest on this subject is due to my consideration of the same mod, as I stipulated in my post, #12.

While you may consider carbon fiber to be "... some of the cheapest looking crap existing today in the automotive world...", which is your opinion and you're entitled to it, not to mention appears to be the whole reason why you've invested so much in this little rant to start with (reference your post #3 , others that are actually in the "automotive world", the one's who actually plan, design and shape the industry as a whole, see and praise the development of "carbon fiber" as one of the most superior advances in the automotive industry to date, and it can even be painted if you don't like the color.

I'm not trying to "flame" you or anything and encourage you to not be "hesitant" about offering advice to other's about whatever "misconceptions" that they may have, just do so with a bit less prejudice would probally be a good judgement call.

p.s. If anyone comes up with a referral as to where the carbon fiber hood can be got, I'm still interested.

Last edited by 94x4; 08-12-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:11 PM

Old 07-08-2005, 01:38 PM

Old 07-08-2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
That is so not fair, even the friggin' "pohlice" have a scooped, carbon fiber hood ! :cry:

Last edited by 94x4; 07-08-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:21 PM

That is so not fair, even the friggin' "pohlice" have a scooped, carbon fiber hood ! :cry:
That's how they spell "Police" in France.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
That's how they spell "Police" in France.
It's also the same 'Runner in Vato Loco's post, unmasked and in the raw, monsuer.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:37 PM

p.s. If anyone comes up with a referral as to where the carbon fiber hood can be got, I'm still interested.
Yeah really, let me know as well.

About weight reduction:
1. I'm in college I got a lot of friends and many of them try to ride with me when we go out, so I don't really want to take out my rear seat.
2. I think I'm about to buy my friends Acura Intergra for a daily driver so then I could remove my two sub woofers and amps for some weight reduction.
3. I agree with removing the spare tire. My tire carrier is fked so I'm probably going to just chop it off and have just the step on the bumper.
4. A hood is pretty heavy. If I got a carbon fiber one, which I would get for weight reduction, I would get one with a scoop (because I think it would look cool. Yes this is my opinion and im entitled to it like stated before in the thread.)

I'm glad a lot of information about how an engine is cooled was revealed in this. Yes TRunner I am ignorant to a lot of things about how an engine works. So what though? Thats why I ask this stuff like I said before. So I an get proper maintenance without disrupting the function of something else under the hood. (Like what happened with my air induction.) I mean no harm by anything I say. Everyone is being honest so I might as well be too. The fact that reading something and not verbally hearing it can lead to a lot of misconceptions of how to take the remark or comment. I greatly appreciate both of your opinions and your support 94x4

I hope you guys can throw me some more information in later problems I may have or questions I might need. Yes, there is a gawdly amount on knowledge about Toyota's on this site. I'm glad I found it.

Jason
Old 07-09-2005, 03:27 PM

No problem at all 4RocRunner92 and it looks like the boys at Rev4runner.TRDPower.com, or perhaps even you Vato Loco(what's up), would have a line on where to get ahold of the scooped 'Runner hoods, perhaps even the "carbon fiber" ones, judging by the post.

YOTATECH is an invaluable resource for info and insight as to the causes and solutions that relate to our 'Yota's.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reducing under hood temp is always a good thing contrary to some comments here.

-Most electrical components live longer in a cooler environment.

-The intake air could potentially be cooler since the scoop would have a chimney effect on evaculating hot air.

-Yes it's a watercoolered engine. Ironically, the thing that keeps the radiator cool is a FAN! A FAN moves air. Moving cooler air across the radiator will increase the cooling efficiency and the cooling system will not have to work as hard.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Good pionts there Cebby. Do you think its safe for the engines surrounding parts though? Im putting a scoop on my stock hood and im wondering how big (if any) hole should i cut? I was thinking of drilling a couple 1" holes or just one big hole/square...? Only thing im concerned about is excess debris and dust entering into places it shouldnt be and also the chance of interrupted air circulation which could possibly cause the intake and/or radiator fan to not function correctly...on the other hand it might make an improvement...
What your take?
Old 07-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Electrical components, hoses, boots and/or all things rubber under the hood.

Thanks, Cebby, for the words of wisdom and support.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
Good pionts there Cebby. Do you think its safe for the engines surrounding parts though? Im putting a scoop on my stock hood and im wondering how big (if any) hole should i cut? I was thinking of drilling a couple 1" holes or just one big hole/square...? Only thing im concerned about is excess debris and dust entering into places it shouldnt be and also the chance of interrupted air circulation which could possibly cause the intake and/or radiator fan to not function correctly...on the other hand it might make an improvement...
What your take?
You could put some screen somewhere between the scoop and the engine, but I think it's overkill. I can't imagine getting more debris in a scoop than what gets onto the radiator through the grille (which isn't much). A scoop slot is pretty small. I don't understand the statement about interrupted air flow - do you mean from debris? If so, again, I think it is pretty unlikely.

Last edited by Cebby; 07-09-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:33 PM

rocket, I'm not Cebby, but my take on this is the bigger the hole the better, using the proven increase in engine performance by opening it up to breathe with such things as the ISR mod.

A small mesh grill (perhaps something like that which you find on those Fram air filters for the American cars, or even an old speaker grill) would suffice to keep all of the potentially harmful debris out, and "dust" is'nt really an issue inasmuch as the engines become dusty anyway and may actually help to reduce the dust buildup by increasing the air flow to help "blow" it away.

There'll be no interuption in the air's circulation, only an increase in the flow and inasmuch as the radiator's fan is mechanical in nature, there's no way that it could not function properly, and/or it is activated by a "heat sensor" (for the electrics), the worse that could possibly happen is that it would'nt have to work as hard which, I believe, would be a good thing.

Last edited by 94x4; 07-09-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Air comes in from the front for both the radiator and intake. What i meant by interrupted air flow is if your forcing air in from the top of your hood there may be a chance of poor circulation depending on how big of a hole is made...its probably unlikey like you said BUT if there was a conflict of air flow, wouldnt it be bad for the intake? I guess this sounds unrealisitc but ive never herd of or seen any air flow results about putting a scoop on a vehical that wasnt designed for one.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:52 PM

Air comes in from the front for both the radiator and intake. What i meant by interrupted air flow is if your forcing air in from the top of your hood there may be a chance of poor circulation depending on how big of a hole is made...its probably unlikey like you said BUT if there was a conflict of air flow, wouldnt it be bad for the intake? I guess this sounds unrealisitc but ive never herd of or seen any air flow results about putting a scoop on a vehical that wasnt designed for one.
3rd and 4th Gen 4Runners both were available with and without scoops. Not sure if any of them are functional though.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

rocket, I'm not Cebby, but my take on this is the bigger the hole the better, using the proven increase in engine performance by opening it up to breathe with such things as the ISR mod.

A small mesh grill (perhaps something like that which you find on those Fram air filters for the American cars, or even an old speaker grill) would suffice to keep all of the potentially harmful debris out, and "dust" is'nt really an issue inasmuch as the engines become dusty anyway and may actually help to reduce the dust buildup by increasing the air flow to help "blow" it away.

There'll be no interuption in the air's circulation, only an increase in the flow and inasmuch as the radiator's fan is mechanical in nature, there's no way that it could not function properly, and/or it is activated by a "heat sensor" (for the electrics), the worse that could possibly happen is that it would'nt have to work as hard which, I believe, would be a good thing.

Thanks, all that does make sense. I guess im just trying to exagerate a potential mishap cause once i chop open my hood there no turning back
Old 07-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
3rd and 4th Gen 4Runners both were available with and without scoops. Not sure if any of them are functional though.
yea, i always wondered that myself..
Old 07-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Heres the scoop im probably using once i get some body work done and have the Runner painted.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:13 PM

Thanks, all that does make sense. I guess im just trying to exagerate a potential mishap cause once i chop open my hood there no turning back
You can always buy another hood.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber hood with scoop for 2nd gen