86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can backpressure affect gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can backpressure affect gas mileage?

I have an 88 4runner, 22re, at, with a LC header, hi-flow cat, and a FM 60 series delta flow muffler. my gas mileage SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I have changed out the fuel filter, PCV valve, 02 Sensor, etc..)

My question is: Is there such thing as having (not enough backpressure)? If that makes sense. Could this be my problem? I am thinking of getting my muffler guy to put a stock muffler back on. How will this affect my truck with the LC header and hi-flow cat? I can't stand the noise of the FM so I have to get rid of it. Will this help me out in the long run putting a stock muffler back on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Yes. Intake, engine and exhaust are a system. Changing the balance has an effect, sometimes that effect is something you are trying to do, sometimes its an unwanted side effect.

What you are describing is certainly possible. The only way to know for sure is to make the change and take measurements again.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Actually too much flow can hurt MPGs due to the engine (naturally aspirated engines are much more affected) not getting enough torque down low thus forcing you to use more skinny pedal to get up to speed.

Last edited by X-AWDriver; 02-22-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by whitetaco02
I have an 88 4runner, 22re, at, with a LC header, hi-flow cat, and a FM 60 series delta flow muffler. my gas mileage SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I have changed out the fuel filter, PCV valve, 02 Sensor, etc..)

My question is: Is there such thing as having (not enough backpressure)? If that makes sense. Could this be my problem? I am thinking of getting my muffler guy to put a stock muffler back on. How will this affect my truck with the LC header and hi-flow cat? I can't stand the noise of the FM so I have to get rid of it. Will this help me out in the long run putting a stock muffler back on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Basically back pressure is wasted energy. However there is the question of resonance, a sweet spot where pressure is minimum. This would be a "tuned" exhaust.

It is also possible you are taking advantage of additional power of course, without realizing it.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Probably should have mentioned that resonance can actually improve power and mileage, ie: efficiency.

Here is a link for a pretty good explanation: http://microcarproject.tripod.com/ht...ust_system.htm

Also note that the opposite can be true. An improperly tuned exhaust can work against you.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:23 AM

Sell me your bull bar and then you can buy more gas!!!

Could the AT also be a factor...?? Never been in an Auto 22RE.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 AM

If you open your exhaust too wide too fast, it will cool down too fast and get denser closer to the head. You want hot headers, (this is why they are wrapped by some people) to promote fast moving air. Cool air moves slower. The cast iron 22re manifold is a very well designed exhaust, and doesn't need replacing unless it is broken or you put a turbo, or a blower on it. Read this linked thread below at 4x4wire and you can see that the best setup for the 22re is stock manifold, 2" to cat and 2 1/4 cat back.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...&o=365&fpart=1

Once you are past the cat, the heat is going to be pretty ow and you want to open it up.

If you read all of EB's comments, you can see where I am coming from. If you are running your truck at ridiculous high rpm (as in racing) your exhaust is a good setup because so much air is moving through. Street driving it is probably creating more "back pressure" with the cold air at the header.

Last edited by trythis; 02-22-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by WATRD
Yes. Intake, engine and exhaust are a system. Changing the balance has an effect, sometimes that effect is something you are trying to do, sometimes its an unwanted side effect.

What you are describing is certainly possible. The only way to know for sure is to make the change and take measurements again.

ThanKs Rob for the reply. I am going to get it done as soon as my dang state tax comes in. lol I just hope it helps me out in the long run.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Actually too much flow can hurt MPGs due to the engine (naturally aspirated engines are much more affected) not getting enough torque down low thus forcing you to use more skinny pedal to get up to speed.

that makes sense. I have to fill up every 170 miles or so. My gas mileage is horrible!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by rdharper
Probably should have mentioned that resonance can actually improve power and mileage, ie: efficiency.

Here is a link for a pretty good explanation: http://microcarproject.tripod.com/ht...ust_system.htm

Also note that the opposite can be true. An improperly tuned exhaust can work against you.
thanks for the link!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by 4Runner1988
Sell me your bull bar and then you can buy more gas!!!

Could the AT also be a factor...?? Never been in an Auto 22RE.

LOL I hear ya on the bull bar.

I do hear that the AT does suck as far as gas guzzling goes but I wouldn't think it would be that bad. The MAIN reason I want to put a stock muffler back on is due to the noise factor. It is annoying and embarrassingly too loud. If it helps out with the gas and HP issue than that is even better!!! I am just hoping I can "kill three birds with one stone" if you know what I mean.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by trythis
If you open your exhaust too wide too fast, it will cool down too fast and get denser closer to the head. You want hot headers, (this is why they are wrapped by some people) to promote fast moving air. Cool air moves slower. The cast iron 22re manifold is a very well designed exhaust, and doesn't need replacing unless it is broken or you put a turbo, or a blower on it. Read this linked thread below at 4x4wire and you can see that the best setup for the 22re is stock manifold, 2" to cat and 2 1/4 cat back.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...&o=365&fpart=1

Once you are past the cat, the heat is going to be pretty ow and you want to open it up.

If you read all of EB's comments, you can see where I am coming from. If you are running your truck at ridiculous high rpm (as in racing) your exhaust is a good setup because so much air is moving through. Street driving it is probably creating more "back pressure" with the cold air at the header.
thanks for the link. The main reason i got headers was I had a pretty bad exhaust leak and i wanted to eliminate the problem all together. i still have the stock manifold but i spent WAY too much money on the headers to get rid of them.

will a stock muffler with the rest of my set up be a bad choice or is that just something that I am going to have to figure out once I do it?