86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can any one help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can any one help

About 2 months ago i got myself a 1988 4runner for 400 bucks as a senior project for high school i have to do a big project so i decided a 4 runner with 8 holes in it would be ok to do a body work project on it but it doesn't run the shop i got it from said it only needed a fuel filter but the couldn't get it off. it took me about 2 hours to get it off cuz of the rust and the truck still wont start i have fuel up by the injectors i have spark and the truck wants to start it will idle for about 3 seconds then shut down im not to good with the 3.0 do you think it is on its way out with 220,000 miles on it if any one thinks they know what is wrong please post.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You are probably going to have to do a little more troubleshooting on your end and post some results. At this point, it could be almost anything.

I would suggest pulling the codes from the ECU first. Find the diagnostic port hanging off the fuse box on the PS fender well. With a paper clip (or similiar wire) jump ports TE1 and E1. Count the number of pulses on the CEL at the dash. Pick up a Haynes manual for code definitions or search online.

A code may give you a clue as to the source of your issues.

Also, check the intake hose for any leaks. Sometimes that tube will tear or rot allowing more air into the engine than the ECU can see... thus causing it to stall. Look deep into the bellows, a tear can be hard to find at first.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ant thing else ? i may truck it to the shop with my 2500
Old 07-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

"Ant thing else"...anything else?

Like, anything else that could be wrong with your motor besides what I have mentioned? Uhhhh.... yeah, like a million and 1 things... you just don't have enough info posted yet.

I really don't think anyone online is going to be able to "fix" your motor without actually being there. All YT can do is help get you in the right direction, or possibly eliminate things it can't be.

If you really want to try and repair your 4Runner on your own, you are going to have to do some more research, post up some pics or at least the results as you start to narrow down the issue.

If you just want to throw $2500 and your truck at a shop mechanic, I guess you'll probably be on the road to getting it to run. Generally, you'll save a lot of money and gain something from the experience if you are willing to put in a little more effort towards the repair though.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Also... I thought this was a senior project??

Is the project learning how to fix the 4Runner, or learning what it costs to have a 4runner fixed??
Old 07-21-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does the 3.0 have a cold start injector? (I have a 22RE) You have spark and fuel to the injectors, but are the injectors firing? Pick up a "Noid light" and see if the injectors are getting voltage.