86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

brake drag....leading to bad mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake drag....leading to bad mileage

i was installing my wheel spacers today and noticed that the front disc didnt slide very easily through the caliper. it felt like there was more drag on the one side.

could this lead to bad mileage.

how would i fix this with out taking it to the brake shop?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 PM

I know this is an old post, but it's really the only thread found after the search terms "disc brake drag".
EDIT: Ah, i see why only a few show up..because most people spell disk with a K.

I too, have a front disc, passenger side, that seems to drag through the caliper. It could also be the bearings (or maybe they just contribute) but I think it's the brakes that are the problem.

Last year, I replaced that caliper. After I put it togther, the wheel spun fine (or at least a lot better than before). But once I started using the brakes again, it doesn't spin as well.

Could their be gunk in the lines or the master cylinder that prevents the calipers from fully releasing?

Last edited by briholt; 05-20-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by briholt
I know this is an old post, but it's really the only thread found after the search terms "disc brake drag".
EDIT: Ah, i see why only a few show up..because most people spell disk with a K.

I too, have a front disc, passenger side, that seems to drag through the caliper. It could also be the bearings (or maybe they just contribute) but I think it's the brakes that are the problem.

Last year, I replaced that caliper. After I put it togther, the wheel spun fine (or at least a lot better than before). But once I started using the brakes again, it doesn't spin as well.

Could their be gunk in the lines or the master cylinder that prevents the calipers from fully releasing?

One explanation is that the booster pushrod is extending too far into the booster.

Assuming that there are no malfunctions in the brake lines (collapsed), clean fluid, no air, clean slave cylinders all around, no gunk/rust on the sliders that the calipers slide on, and that the MC is also fine, you might try adjusting the pushrod.

The right way to do it is between the booster and the MC itself. Apparently you can disconnect the MC from the cylinder with enough wiggle room of the brake lines that you can get a wrench in front of the booster to make some adjustments.

I went under the dashboard an adjusted where the brake pedal attaches to the push rod there. Seems to have worked.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have you tried using your brakes a few times in reverse? they self adjust when you brake going backwards try this a few times and see if it helps?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Black_1985_SR5
have you tried using your brakes a few times in reverse? they self adjust when you brake going backwards try this a few times and see if it helps?
When you are talking about using brakes in reverse, you don't mean the pedal brakes, do you?

The only thing that gets adjusted when using brakes in reverse is if you pull on the emergency/parking brake. In that case, you aren't messing with the hydraulics, just the cables making the emergency brake work.

The OP and my issue had to do with the front wheels not spinning freely, which in my case was related to the booster being constantly engaged with an improper push rod adjustment.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that happened to me before. Replacing calipers ( both sides) and flush out old brake fluid did the trick.
Brake fluid suppose to be clear...not brown.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:35 PM

My front brakes were stuck on. There is a switch that turns the brake lights on, it was screwed out too far and stopping the brake pedal from releasing fully. 1 new caliper and 2 hours of bleeding later, i finally unscewred it. Haven't had a problem since, i was actually suprised at my new power gain and mileage.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try bleeding the brakes first, and id start by using a clap to push the cup on your caliper all the way in, sometimes the cup and get a bit cockeyed and wedge in weird but make sure to take the cover off the master cylinder first lol iv made a good mess before.