Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone running the old Air Soft bb's in the tire trick...???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hrm.

if they just wont balance, try putting .25 just opposite the valve stem. that works about half the time. it was my little trick...
Old 10-31-2008, 09:49 AM

for whoever is having problems with the air soft bb's not working, and havent given up yet. its most likely because you have too little or too many bb's in your tires. theres a little area in between to little and too many thats the perfect amount.

you would rather have a LITTLE too many bb's than to little, because then the weight or the bb's is not great enough to offset the imbalance of the tire...

and if you have way too many theres no place for the excess bb's to go, and then they throw off the balance.

so far im leaning towards...

(In each tire.)
1000 0.25g bb's for a little under 9oz. of weight.
1500 0.20g bb's for a little over 10oz. of weight.
2000 0.12g bb's for approx. 8.46oz. of weight.

ttyl!!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 94toyotapickup
water thats wierd im not a scientist but wouldnt it evaporate idk maybe not cus its sealed but still surpiizing to me
There are three things at play here, first, if you hold a liquid under pressure, you reaise its boiling (and evaporation) point. Your coolant system typically runs about 10-14psi. Your tires are running around 30.

Second, there's not much air in the tire, and water can only hold so much moisture. If the water did start evaproating, only so much of it will evaproate before it stops.

Third, it's a sealed airspace. Anything that evaproates, will condense again later, so no water is ever lost.

Now, that aside, water is not he best idea up here, as it will freeze, then you have a nice block of ice stuck to one side of your tire. It's funny to see it happen when people mount wheels that have been sitting in the rain or something, then come winter, the tire will never balance.

I would also suggest against sand for two reasons.
1) it can come out and/or clog the valve stem when airing down
2) it's abrasive, and will wear down your tire from the inside out.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been running balancing beads on my 3/4 T Dodge diesels for years - and Ill tell ya- they work great and are much cheaper than having a tire balanced at the tire shop. You just buy the beads in bags and have them throw the bag in the tire right before they mount it on the wheel.

I think someone already posted the links but here they are again:

www.innovativebalancing.com

www.counteractbalancing.com

Heres a guide to determine how much weight you need in your tire:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

Last edited by *Dr. Evil*; 10-31-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How about using these in drag slicks? Last time I got my slicks mounted, they were WAY off, and couldn't be balanced. I have issues doing 120mph down a track with a wheel that unbalanced.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:07 PM

I have 2000 airsoft bb's in each of my 33" Bighorns. They work great. Zero vibrations. If you google this balancing method, you will find charts for your tire size. I just bought 4 cans of 2000 count and poured them in because that is nearly the amount that I have seen on many charts for 33" tires. Dynamic balancing is the tops...but the guys at the tire shop will look at you weird when you hand them the bb's.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:12 PM

what you need is a mix of static and dynamic weights. Find out what the computer balancer calls for and add half the weight with the static lead weight and use the appropriate amount of pellets/BBs/Equal/water/or golf balls to make up the rest of the required amount.

What happens is you get a little noise or slight wobble (depending) at take off from a stand still and then centripetal forces pus the dynamic weights out to the appropriate place. No more wobbly wheels!
Old 11-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
hey now, he didnt get the bottle up to full speed w/out the beads. I can see how centrifical force, forces the beads to spread the load evenly around.
I'm pretty sure centrifical force isn't real, isn't that the one that supposedly says a object orbiting a space will try and escape by going outward? When in reality there is only force, centripetal that would make the object fly away if let go in a path tangent to the circle?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:26 PM

totally crazy lol it may be a fact but i wouldnt do it to my tires they cost too much to put stuff in them

still amazing if it works

Old 11-03-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
I'm pretty sure centrifical force isn't real, isn't that the one that supposedly says a object orbiting a space will try and escape by going outward? When in reality there is only force, centripetal that would make the object fly away if let go in a path tangent to the circle?
Centrifugal force is real...it's called a pseudo-force (which I think is where you're going with this). It has to do with the objects and forces working in a rotational frame of reference, which takes a little more cipherin' to appease all the newtonian laws. As I remember (not so fondly) of the physics I had in college, you described centrifugal force by calculating the centripetal force, where centripetal force would be, for instance, the amount of tension in a string while you spin the yo-yo around like a lasso. Or something like that...

Anyway.....
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM

well i pulled the toyota into the shop at school today after lunch.. broke down one side of each tire and dumped in the airsoft bb's...

i ended up going with 2000 .12g bb's @ 8.46oz in each tire...

its all great untill 60mph. im going to add another 1000 .12g bb's in each tire sometime next week... and will hopefully report back with great results. 8oz. dident work because i recall the balancing machine wanting like 12oz on one tire the last time i tried to balance them...

3000 .12g bb's @ a little over 12oz in each tire..

should work well!

Last edited by MIKEMOKAS; 11-03-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by krb90
Centrifugal force is real...it's called a pseudo-force (which I think is where you're going with this). It has to do with the objects and forces working in a rotational frame of reference, which takes a little more cipherin' to appease all the newtonian laws. As I remember (not so fondly) of the physics I had in college, you described centrifugal force by calculating the centripetal force, where centripetal force would be, for instance, the amount of tension in a string while you spin the yo-yo around like a lasso. Or something like that...

Anyway.....
No, the tension on the string would be "centrifugal" and centripetal makes the object want to fly off tangent to the circle, i.e. perpendicular to the direction of the "tension".
Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont see how shops have a hard time balancing sets of tires...i've balanced a BUNCH of different sets of M/T tires and A/T tires..never had any problems..i even balanced my swampers (of course they are just 31's) and i've never balanced anything bigger than a 33"...but i have dont a BUNCH of off brand M/T's as well as a set of MTR's that came stock on a jeep rubicon..(i think is what it was)..it must be the size...either that or the guys at your shops arent worth the money they get paid..

back on topic..the BB trick does work...seen lots of people do it..even had a set come into the shop one day..(had a flat.) i broke the bead and BB's went EVERYWHERE...i just balanced it on the machine with normal weights..guy never complained..lol dont even think he knows the difference
Old 11-04-2008, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by MIKEMOKAS
well i pulled the toyota into the shop at school today after lunch.. broke down one side of each tire and dumped in the airsoft bb's...

i ended up going with 2000 .12g bb's @ 8.46oz in each tire...

its all great untill 60mph. im going to add another 1000 .12g bb's in each tire sometime next week... and will hopefully report back with great results. 8oz. dident work because i recall the balancing machine wanting like 12oz on one tire the last time i tried to balance them...

3000 .12g bb's @ a little over 12oz in each tire..

should work well!
12oz at the rim is different than 12oz at the tread.. The innovative chart calls for 6 oz.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by idayota

ps...the sound the bb's make when you come to a stop will also throw you/other people for a loop at times
Reminds me of the guy back home that tried to balance out some 48" military tires using golf balls. Made one heck of a racket when he slowed down and they started bouncing off the rim.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
No, the tension on the string would be "centrifugal" and centripetal makes the object want to fly off tangent to the circle, i.e. perpendicular to the direction of the "tension".
We are in the wrong forum for this.....

In Newtons first law, an object will stay in a linear motion unless some outside force acts on it. To travel in a circular motion, you need an outside force i.e. centripetal force....it acts perpendicular to the axis of rotation, which is applied through the string. It is described scientifically as centripetal force "pulling" the object toward the center axis, applied through the string. It could easily be a Toyota truck making a sharp turn in a curve. The centripetal force is applied through the friction of the tires (or stated otherwise, the mass and velocity of the truck is not enough to overcome the friction of the tires/road). What makes the object fly off tangent is the lack of centripetal force pulling it in, or, if you're on ice, the lack of friction, or lack of a really strong piece of string.

In Newtons 3rd law, every action has an opposite reaction. The reaction in this case is centrifugal force. It is called a pseudo force because it doesn't act on the object itself....it acts on the center of the radius (or axis) in our string/ball scenario. So if you were standing on the middle of the string, centrifugal force would be pulling the center of the axis outward on one hand, and the other hand centripetal force is pulling the ball in toward the middle. Both centrifugal and centripetal forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, cozily conforming to Newtons 3rd law.

In summary, centrifugal force is really an absence of centripetal force....the object that flies off tangent to the axis is in motion according to Newtons 1st law, staying in a linear motion unless acted upon by an outside force, which would be the centripetal force, and thenceforth giving rise to it's equal but opposite force, centrifugal.

Someone tell us to shut up any time.....
Old 11-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i get it! when the wobble causes the bottle to go one way, the beads want to stay put to some extent, causing them to congregate in one area, opposing the weight, so, it balances itself out
Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by krb90
We are in the wrong forum for this.....

In Newtons first law, an object will stay in a linear motion unless some outside force acts on it. To travel in a circular motion, you need an outside force i.e. centripetal force....it acts perpendicular to the axis of rotation, which is applied through the string. It is described scientifically as centripetal force "pulling" the object toward the center axis, applied through the string. It could easily be a Toyota truck making a sharp turn in a curve. The centripetal force is applied through the friction of the tires (or stated otherwise, the mass and velocity of the truck is not enough to overcome the friction of the tires/road). What makes the object fly off tangent is the lack of centripetal force pulling it in, or, if you're on ice, the lack of friction, or lack of a really strong piece of string.

In Newtons 3rd law, every action has an opposite reaction. The reaction in this case is centrifugal force. It is called a pseudo force because it doesn't act on the object itself....it acts on the center of the radius (or axis) in our string/ball scenario. So if you were standing on the middle of the string, centrifugal force would be pulling the center of the axis outward on one hand, and the other hand centripetal force is pulling the ball in toward the middle. Both centrifugal and centripetal forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, cozily conforming to Newtons 3rd law.

In summary, centrifugal force is really an absence of centripetal force....the object that flies off tangent to the axis is in motion according to Newtons 1st law, staying in a linear motion unless acted upon by an outside force, which would be the centripetal force, and thenceforth giving rise to it's equal but opposite force, centrifugal.

Someone tell us to shut up any time.....
I'm going to get an advil and a beer........ this post hurt me in more ways than I can describe.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM

This technique didn't work at all. I had them installed in a set of 285 Cooper STT's with no good results.

Aaron
Old 11-05-2008, 07:59 PM

I'm using about 12 oz. of steel BB's in each of my 39.5" Iroks. So far, so good! I'm limited to about 55-60 mph with the 22RE and the 40's but they seem to be smooth enough to go faster (if I could )

Quick Reply: Anyone running the old Air Soft bb's in the tire trick...???