Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any danger in tightening TV cable past spec?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any danger in tightening TV cable past spec?

My trans was shifting too early and was really sliding on the shifts. The TV cable adjustment was the problem and an adjustment fixed it. My question is will there be any danger in tighening the cable past spec. I found this gives me the perfect shift points and nice, quick, firm shifts.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tightening up the kick-down cable is a lot like tightening up a clutch adjustment when a manual starts slipping. You're masking the real problem which is that the plates/bands are wearing down. The adjustment increases the fluid pressure in the tranny which in turn makes things lock up tighter, but the bands are still getting slick(er).

How many miles are on the truck? In general, you're heading for a rebuild or a swap.

How far out did you have to pull the little bead? The manual states that the leading edge of the bead should be 3/8" out from the end of the boot ont he cable at idle.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM

I guess I should have gave more details. My transmission kicked the bucket and I had a full overhaul done and new converter. I also replaced the TV cable with a new one. When I first installed it It was under adjusted and the shifts were too early and sluggish. I then adjusted it by the way specified in the FSM and it worked great. Then, I tried tighening it just a bit more and It really has firm, crisp feeling shifts and holds each gear longer. The transmission works like a dream when adjusted like this so I want to leave it but I dont want to do any damage.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThomasJ
I guess I should have gave more details. My transmission kicked the bucket and I had a full overhaul done and new converter. I also replaced the TV cable with a new one. When I first installed it It was under adjusted and the shifts were too early and sluggish. I then adjusted it by the way specified in the FSM and it worked great. Then, I tried tighening it just a bit more and It really has firm, crisp feeling shifts and holds each gear longer. The transmission works like a dream when adjusted like this so I want to leave it but I dont want to do any damage.
Ahhh... wow, okay. Totally different situation then.

Yes, you'll be fine.

Have fun!
Old 08-18-2006, 04:19 PM

I think the only damage you could do is putting too much overhung load on the throttle body pivot bushing. If it is too tight, you could wear that out or mayb ebend the shaft? If I understand the cable you are reffering to correctly.