Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another Cooling Fan Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RRIND
I do have an automatic transmission, I read through the postings and I'm still not understanding why it matters if it's an automatic vs. a stick...? It has a 10" ? cooling fan that came stock on the front of the radiator and a smaller extra radiator tranny cooler up there too.

Thanks
RR
Ok while I don't think the "Mastacox E-fan theory" has been completely proven yet, I do agree that the auto trucks have an extra burden placed on the cooling system by the cooling duties of the factory ATF cooler.

The ATF runs into the bottom of the radiator and through a round tubular heat exchanger about a foot long and 1.5" diameter that runs along the bottom of the radiator (right where the coolant is the coolest) and out again. The coolant flows through the center of the tube as well as the outside of it and picks up the heat from the ATF and this is right where the coolant enters the bottom radiator hose and heads into the engine. So the coolant that has gone through the radiator and cooled down, now has just been heated back up by the auto transmission just before it goes onto the engine. The manual tranny trucks have an advantange here.

There are some things you could do to get around this: You could run an extra ATF cooler which would help the tranny run cooler or if the cooler is big enough or you have a couple of them you could even bypass the factory radiator cooler all together, in which case it would be the same as the cooling systems on the manual tranny trucks. You could also run a cooler theromostat which would open the flow of coolant into the radiator sooner before it gets so hot. You could also turn off your overdrive on hills or while towing so the torque converter (TC) doesn't slip as much. (the TC generates a lot of heat) You could run the ATF though an extra cooler before it enters the radiator.

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-09-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Ok while I don't think the "Mastacox E-fan theory" has been completely proven yet, I do agree that the auto trucks have an extra burden placed on the cooling system by the cooling duties of the factory ATF cooler.
Well, one way or another I have seen many 3.0/auto combinations develop overheating problems when converting to the Taurus fan (or FAL), yet they had no problems before. My guess, an extra tranny cooler away from the radiator would help. Perhaps we can dub it the "Mastacox 3.0/auto stock cooling system with E-Fan theory"?

By the way Dale, your 4Runner doesn't count because you will have a 3.4L, which nullifies the possibility of your being included in the theory...
I think I need to start a poll to see how many people have/had overheating problems when going to an E-fan...

Last edited by mastacox; 08-09-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox

By the way Dale, your 4Runner doesn't count because you will have a 3.4L, which nullifies the possibility of your being included in the theory...
Ok ok, I don't even have a 4runner anyway. I'm going to take my pickup and leave now :cry:

But before I go let me ask that in your poll ask how many had good shroud made for their e-fan mod. That to me is the key.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once Again

Once again, I thank you guys for your input, I truly appreciate it. I am by no means a master mechanic at all. That is why I come here to chat with people that have "been there and done that" and hopefully through their wealth of knowledge and insight that they have gained, I too will learn something. I love this site.
Ok, so how about plugging the radiator where lines come in from the auto tranny, buy a new tranny cooler, reroute the lines through the new tranny cooler, mount it separately somewhere else and then put in the electric fan...?

Thanks
RR
Old 08-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

I'm thinking an extra tranny cooler mounted away from the radiator but in a high air flow area might do it... but I'm really just speculating at this point. I don't even know anything about that Mustang fan you have, but its single speed which could be a problem.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
Well, one way or another I have seen many 3.0/auto combinations develop overheating problems when converting to the Taurus fan (or FAL), yet they had no problems before. My guess, an extra tranny cooler away from the radiator would help. Perhaps we can dub it the "Mastacox 3.0/auto stock cooling system with E-Fan theory"?

I think I need to start a poll to see how many people have/had overheating problems when going to an E-fan...
It sounds like you might need something like this

If this doesnt keep the temp down nothing will.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Once again, I thank you guys for your input, I truly appreciate it. I am by no means a master mechanic at all. That is why I come here to chat with people that have "been there and done that" and hopefully through their wealth of knowledge and insight that they have gained, I too will learn something. I love this site.
Ok, so how about plugging the radiator where lines come in from the auto tranny, buy a new tranny cooler, reroute the lines through the new tranny cooler, mount it separately somewhere else and then put in the electric fan...?

Thanks
RR
I wouldn't do it without a trans temp gauge to verify it's getting the ATF cool enough.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LOCKnGO
It sounds like you might need something like this

If this doesnt keep the temp down nothing will.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking, a tranny cooler with its own fan...
Old 08-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Tomorrow

My buddy (Dave G.) that I work with just came by out of the blue and after a few brews and B.S., he told me that one of the captains we work with on another shift owns a machine / race shop on the side. Hmm, news to me. Anyhow, so we called him up and I talked to him about my cooling fan, he told me to come by his shop tomorrow morning and we'll get her hooked up with all the fans cooler and stuff that I need to get this project done. Way Cool. Anyhow, I will let you guys know how it goes and how it runs when we get it done.

Thanks
RR
Old 08-10-2006, 03:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i have an 88 runner v6 auto with the taurus fan mod and have no problems with overheating
Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 PM

A couple of things

I talked to my co-worker that owns the shop and told him I decided to forgoe this mod until I have all my ducks in a row. Mastcox put the worry bug in me.

Anyhow, I need to do a couple things first, one is to get a tranny cooler set-up on my rig, not only for extra cooling needs but for piece of mind, (Damn, I could of swore there was one on there, but I was mistaken.)

Anyhow, I decided to go with the Hayden Med-Duty Rapid Cool series, either the 677 or the 676, because I can pick either one up from a buddy at the local parts store for about $40.00, any input or comments on these coolers would be greatly appreciated.

And the other thing mastcox said is, "I don't even know anything about that Mustang fan you have, but its single speed which could be a problem."

I need some clarification on why this 3.8L Mustang fan could be a problem...?

Input please, cause if I get started and this thing starts to become a can of worms, starts costing loads of money and my wife gets that evil eye like she sometimes does, she knows where the guns are and she knows how to use them.

Also, one last thing, I was told that I could use the Flex-A-Lite variable speed fan controller...? Any input on this and which one also would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again
RR
Old 08-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Also, one last thing, I was told that I could use the Flex-A-Lite variable speed fan controller...? Any input on this and which one also would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again
RR
See posts #2 and #4
Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 PM

aux fan

hey all i have a question i have a fan on the outside of my a/c cooler it is between the cooler and the grill does anyone else have one of these on thier 4runner???
Old 08-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is the AC cooler, If you turn your AC on it will go on too.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:37 PM

a/c fan

i thought thats what it was but it never comes on i think it might have blown a fuse so im going to look thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 PM

Tranny cooler installed

I finally got my tranny cooler installed yesterday, sorry no pics, I could'nt get the digital camera to work, Friggin camera.
I installed it in behind the valance. I put it there because it was the easiest spot, I figured also that if it got damaged in any way I could just pull out the old hose and by-pass it pretty quickly.

I also noticed while I had everything apart that there is an Extra Radiator in of the regular radiator...? Does anyone know what this is and what its for...?

Next, the Fan Install, dun ta ta dun.

Thanks
RR
Old 08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

I also noticed while I had everything apart that there is an Extra Radiator in of the regular radiator...? Does anyone know what this is and what its for...?

Thanks
RR
AC condenser
Old 09-02-2006, 04:51 AM

I have a quick question. If one installs an electric fan and the car has A/C whta is the point of keeping the stock A/C electric fan (that sits in front of condenser)? Removing it also would somewhat improve airflow available...?
Old 09-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Huh? How is removing a fan going to improve air flow? The way I see it, the AC fan improves airflow, unless you mean when it's not running. It's a common push and pull fan set-up.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Huh? How is removing a fan going to improve air flow? The way I see it, the AC fan improves airflow, unless you mean when it's not running. It's a common push and pull fan set-up.
OK - what I mean is we are replacing stock clutch fan + A/C small electric fan with a single large electric fan that not only switches on when hot but also always on when the A/C is on. Kind of makes the stock A/C fan unnecessary, don't you think?

Quick Reply: Another Cooling Fan Question