Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another 50N recall horror story..need help going to bat

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FYI i did call toyota NA after they sent me a thing in the mail. I called them and told them i wasnt happy with my experience, and it cost me a buch of extra time and coutless headach. Ultimatly got reinbursed for the extra it cost me to get the job done right, but that was AFTER all the headache.

The guy from toyota didnt sound thrilled i had had the experience. He noted that the dealer did reinburse me, but that was far from making everything OK.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sent you a PM with the document necessary to set these assclowns straight. Tell them to get their heads out of the sand and realize that it is possible for someone else to know more about what is going on.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:02 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
miket223 - can you post that document on here? There are several of us that could use it... (or shoot me a PM)
Old 01-19-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tc
miket223 - can you post that document on here? There are several of us that could use it... (or shoot me a PM)
ditto.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Well here is the latest update. It's been two days still no call from the Service Manager so I took my truck to a tire place this morning to get it aligned again and the results were very interesting. I tried scanning the sheet but it didn't come out real well so here are the numbers for the toe.

Specified range: 0.01-0.20

Before Left:0.56

Before Right:0.31

After Left:0.06

After Right:0.04

No freaking wonder it was drifting off the road. It wasn't even close to spec. So after all my headaches it was this far out after coming off of Toyota's rack for SECOND time. The alignment cost me $59 to have it redone. Think it would even be worth my time to toss this at them too when I take in my document that shows I wasn't supposed to pay for my tie rods and sleaves? I wonder if i could get them to pay for the new alignment too.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Think it would even be worth my time to toss this at them too when I take in my document that shows I wasn't supposed to pay for my tie rods and sleaves? I wonder if i could get them to pay for the new alignment too.
Can you post that document for the rest of us?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Caffiene I think that Mike probably took a little bit of risk with his work to show that letter to the public. Alot of the document was blacked out for personal protection. PM Miket223 and ask him about it. If he gives the go ahead I will post it but I don't want to without his permission. Not trying to hold out on you guys I just don't want to get him in trouble.

Last edited by UKMyers; 01-21-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
In my experience, dealerships really suck at alignments.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:53 PM

Caffiene I think that Mike probably took a little bit of risk with his work to show that letter to the public. Alot of the document was blacked out for personal protection. PM Miket223 and ask him about it. If he gives the go ahead I will post it but I don't want to without his permission. Not trying to hold out on you guys I just don't want to get him in trouble.
Go ahead and post it. Better you than me. I've been inundated with requests for assistance in this matter. I would love nothing more than to see all of you get your 50Ns done right.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Mike.. Here it is!

Old 01-23-2006, 09:47 AM
tc
Contributing Member

No freaking wonder it was drifting off the road. It wasn't even close to spec. So after all my headaches it was this far out after coming off of Toyota's rack for SECOND time. The alignment cost me $59 to have it redone. Think it would even be worth my time to toss this at them too when I take in my document that shows I wasn't supposed to pay for my tie rods and sleaves? I wonder if i could get them to pay for the new alignment too.
I had the same problem, but took the alignment sheet into the dealership and they gave me a hard time, but pretty quickly reimbursed the fee for having the alignment redone. If they give you any trouble, explain that you already have a case filed with Toyota customer service and ask them if they would like you to explain it to Toyota as either fraud (they didn't do the prescribed alignment that is paid for by Toyota) or shoddy workmanship (you have proof it was out, they don't have proof it was in).

At least you're making me feel better about my experience! Jeez - what dealership was this again so everyone here can stay away?!?!?
Old 01-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks TC! I will have my alignment paperwork in hand when I go in for battle.

UPDATE: Just got the off the phone with the service manager. She told me they have nothing stating that the rod ends are supposed to be covered but if I had something that stated otherwise to bring it by and she would do everything she could to get me reimbursed. When I mentioned the alignment she also said they would have no problem reimbursing for that either if I could prove it was out, which I will when I show them the spec sheets. I can't get over there till tomorrow morning but it's sounding promising that they will make things right. It's just a shame they couldn't have done it right the first and second time around.

Last edited by UKMyers; 01-23-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:55 AM

So, what is the verdict? Did you rip them a new one? I want to hear everyone's story.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

SUCCESS!!! I just got back from Toyota and I was reimbursed in full for the tie rod ends, tie rods, and adjuster sleeves. I was also reimbursed the $59.99 it cost me to have it realigned at another shop. The service manager was very friendly and there were basically no questions asked. She apologized for my bad service, admitted they were wrong and they swiped my Visa for $308 bucks on the spot. 5 minutes and I was outta there. She said that they were not aware that Toyota was covering tie rods under the 50N recall until I brought it to their attention...don't know about that one but at least they made things right for me.

Big THANKS go out to Mike for supplying me with the required documentation to get this ball rolling. I don't think it would have happened had I not dropped that letter on the service managers desk. Yotatech rocks and for the first time it actually made me some money instead of making me spend it..!!

Last edited by UKMyers; 01-24-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:50 PM

I gotta know the full details of what happened as soon as you showed the service manager that letter from Mr. Zellers himself.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Well I called her first and told her what I had and that I would be coming in. She had already researched it by the time I came in the next day. I was literally in and out in 5 minutes. I am attributing most of it to the letter and the fact that Toyota called that dealership to research my customer complaint. I'm guessing dealerships really don't like it when Toyota calls them with issues like that.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:13 AM

Now mine has to be done as well, and when I do drag it by the dealership (hopefully the Canadian ones are better) I plan on telling them that i'm not paying for anything extra, and that I will not authorize any other parts. I wonder if that letter will do anything here in Canada. Oh well i'll love it if they tell me I need both my tie rod ends replaced as I just did the passenger side, and had it aligned, well sorta my camber/castor adjusters are seized, luckily, seized very close to specs.

So the ordeal begins
Old 01-26-2006, 09:27 AM

My advice is to request a toe adjustment only. Tell them that your cams are seized and that you don't want them to mess with them. In all reality, a toe adjustment is all that is required for the recall work.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:59 AM
tc
Contributing Member

I disagree with miket - let them fight with the adjusters and get the alignment dead on! Don't tell them a thing - heck, lie of you have to! The way these SOB's are jerking us around, they deserve it!
Old 01-27-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by tc
I disagree with miket - let them fight with the adjusters and get the alignment dead on! Don't tell them a thing - heck, lie of you have to! The way these SOB's are jerking us around, they deserve it!
Nobody is going to fight anything. Lying to a tech isn't going to break the adjusters free. Forking over a few hundred dollars and installing brand new ones will though.

Your perspective is quite narrow by the way. I haven't heard anyone post any 50N success stories. Only the negative gets our attention, that is human nature. And, your post only perpetuates that idea.

Quick Reply: Another 50N recall horror story..need help going to bat