Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

After a long wait, my parts have come in

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After a long wait, my parts have come in

Finally was able to get money together to order 90% of the parts that I needed for my truck. Compliments to Engnbldr.

Timing Cover

Water Pump

Oil Pump

Timing Chain with Steel Guide

Gasket Set

Later on I'll tear into the gasket set and figure out what I will need, and won't and get some help identifing some of the others.

Hopefully tomorrow is as nice as today is and I can get out and pull the top off and get it ready to take down to the machine shop to get a couple threads recoiled on the intake side.

Need to go to the dealership and get a 1.00 gasket, and need to get new bolts for the timing cover. Got some measurements from 4crawlers website and some from all_terrain17 so I'll go to the bolt shop and get the listed lengths.

Then the rest will just be the odds and ends, oil, antifreeze, gasket sealants, etc.

Gonna be looking really hard to find someone close by who knows what they're doing. I don't want to get it all buttoned up and tear it down again, I can't afford it and really don't want to end up taking it down to the shop. So, if any of you are close enough or know of anyone in the Tri-City area who know 22re's, let me know. I can use all the help I can get on this.

Really want to get the truck running and tuned well so when the guys up in the PNW go on the snow run, I can make it up there for the day.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet.. hope to be doing something similar in March...
Old 10-17-2006, 01:36 PM

looks fun!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mattbaby24
looks fun!
It would be fun if all of this was really needed! This is all from a leaking timing cover gasket. 2 attempts and 300.00 later....
Old 10-17-2006, 03:39 PM

well thats true. good luck with it!

this is really offtopic, sorry. but your myspace default picture is amazing
Old 10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EWAYota
It would be fun if all of this was really needed! This is all from a leaking timing cover gasket. 2 attempts and 300.00 later....
Just curious where did it leak at?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bodo
Just curious where did it leak at?
Right above the oil pan on the passenger side.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Real quick question....

When you install a cam, is the only internal adjusting that you have to do is adjusting the valves?

I was leaning towards ordering a 261c cam from engnbldr once I had the truck up and running, but I think my time would be better spent installing the cam while I have everything torn down, thus only having to adjust the valves once instead of 2x.

I've only got about 10-15k on the springs/rockers currently on the truck and its stated on his ebay listing that as long as the springs/rockers are in good shape, then it will be fine to stick with them.

So is that all that will be needed? Just install the new cam and once everything buttoned up, adjust the valves or is there anything else involved?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:41 PM

thats about it for a cam.. i reccommend doing it now, since you have to take the headbolts out to swap a cam.. and personally i wouldnt crack the head bolts and not replace the HG....

dont forget about the cam breaking startup...
Old 10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AH64ID
dont forget about the cam breaking startup...
Cam breaking startup? I don't know what that is.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:07 PM

where did you get all that? I was looking at a rebuild kit on ebay and it looked like that same package.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
where did you get all that? I was looking at a rebuild kit on ebay and it looked like that same package.

engnbldr.com
Old 10-18-2006, 05:30 PM

no lifters on the 22r engines, no need to break in the cam. on engines with lifters, a break in is needed. it consists of holding the engine rpm's at a certain point for a particular length of time. or something like that.
dude you bailed me out on a really simple and stupid problem, so don't hesitate to pm or email me if you run into anything. i'm no expert but i'll do what i can and i do know an "expert" that i can get answers from if needed.
super clean smooth surfaces
very little if any silicone. you don't need it
good torques
=no leaky leaky
my cam was out of limits so i replaced it with a 268 engnbldr cam.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:11 AM

Cam breaking startup? I don't know what that is.
The cams require a 1600-1800 idle for the first 20-30 minutes i beleive. Every set of cam install instructions I have seen for this engine requires it. When I was talking to TRD about the TRD cam I put in my last 22RE they made a very big point about it. The breakin is for the lobes, not the lifters..
Old 10-19-2006, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Curious... Did those attempts include trying to change the TC gaskets without dropping the oil pan and pulling the head?

Is that why you're doing the big teardown now?

I keep seeing people say to change the cover without pulling the head and pan, but when we did it, it just crushed the head gasket and ended up leaking anyway.

I think it's good insurance to go ahead and spend the other 4 hours when everything is apart and pull the head. It's easier to do it then than it is to keep going back in.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

I dropped the oil pan when I tried the first time, and was told by another person that I could leave the head on. So, when we tried to put the TC back on, the HG tore, thus the big tear down.

This was my first time ever tearing into a engine, and this guy had done it before, but apparently sucks at it, lol.

I'm debating to tear the engine down and then take it in to get put back together. I'm just worried that if I try and put it back together myself, I'm gonna end up with leaks and have to tear it down again and spend more money.
Any idea of what I should expect to pay for someone to install everything and put it back together? I'm gonna call on Monday and see what they quote me at, just curious to see what you all think it should be.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toyaholic
no lifters on the 22r engines, no need to break in the cam. on engines with lifters, a break in is needed. it consists of holding the engine rpm's at a certain point for a particular length of time. or something like that.
dude you bailed me out on a really simple and stupid problem, so don't hesitate to pm or email me if you run into anything. i'm no expert but i'll do what i can and i do know an "expert" that i can get answers from if needed.
super clean smooth surfaces
very little if any silicone. you don't need it
good torques
=no leaky leaky
my cam was out of limits so i replaced it with a 268 engnbldr cam.
What planet did you fall off of? I hope that "expert" that you know doesn't say you don't need to break the cam in, because if he does he went from expert to idiot in 0 sec.

EWAYota did you get new rockers? I didn't see it posted but I could've missed it.

Last edited by bodo; 10-20-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:17 PM

I dropped the oil pan when I tried the first time, and was told by another person that I could leave the head on. So, when we tried to put the TC back on, the HG tore, thus the big tear down.

This was my first time ever tearing into a engine, and this guy had done it before, but apparently sucks at it, lol.

I'm debating to tear the engine down and then take it in to get put back together. I'm just worried that if I try and put it back together myself, I'm gonna end up with leaks and have to tear it down again and spend more money.
Any idea of what I should expect to pay for someone to install everything and put it back together? I'm gonna call on Monday and see what they quote me at, just curious to see what you all think it should be.
Just take your time read the manual, the 22RE is a very simple engine. The first engine I ever took apart was the RE in my 95, I did a timing chain and cam at 125K, sold it as 158K no issues, and asfar as I know none still 18 months later.. the truck does have an SAS now !!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought so...

I keep seeing it posted over and over again that you can do it without pulling the head but I sure didn't have any luck doing it that way either.

Nice of people to keep posting bad info in the forums isn't it?

As for labor, I got estimates from $800-1500 for labor alone on mine... That's why I did it myself.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:01 PM

Doing it without pulling the head is fairly simple, but you HAVE to pull the oil pan (which you should anyway). When I did my timing chain, the head came off anyway to put a StreetRV head on, so I just made it a whole refresh when I did it.

We did my friends truck without pulling the head. It was a 2WD, so dropping the pan was a lot easier. Shoulda seen the chunks of chain that came out of there.

Last edited by stock87; 10-20-2006 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply: After a long wait, my parts have come in