Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advice/Opinions on my 1990 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice/Opinions on my 1990 4Runner

Hi guys!

This is going to be a lengthy post, so prepare yourself!

I would love to get your opinion on my 1990 2DR 4runner. The photo below is as it sits right now.

I am debating to have it repainted the original color as it is right now, painted dark earth tan and the bumpers black, or do a DIY bedliner paint job in tan and black. The tan and black paint job (just as a reference point) would look like this

What I would love to do on my 4Runner is to get a front and rear bumper. The rear bumper with a spare tire mount on the back that can swing out to the side, a roof rack, with a light bar on the roof rack and another light bar on the front bumper. I have looked around on different websites and its hard to find bumpers that would fit my 4Runner since its a 1990. They aren't exactly on supply and demand. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as where to go for a good roof rack and light bars. Also a suggestion for somewhere for the bumpers, and a recommendation as far as the paint job. If this was your vehicle, would you go the same route? Any help is appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Will M.

Last edited by Lucky_b17; 01-17-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It just depends on what you want to spend. I do like the paint job in the pic above. GM used to paint trucks just like that around 88-90. I always liked that color scheme. You could probably get the color codes from one of those.

As far as the bumpers go. Do a google image search for 1990 4runner bumpers and visit some of the pages. They will either tell you where they bought them or their plans for building them.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I'm a fan of the tan, mud camouflage bring your paint mixer a sample of the local silt smeared on poster board for a color sample.

I go back an forth on the blacked out lower sections, but I would go for liner over paint just for the chip protection even if not a fan of textured it only shows up close.

I like the looks of a plate style bumper over tube, but tube has better strength to weight ratio I think. Google pops up a few style choices for both methods.

No help for lights other than do the bumper first then see where you stand for available mounting space.