86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 Yota PKUP 5 speed shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Yota PKUP 5 speed shifting problems

About a month ago put a rebuilt engine(3.0L) while I was at it I put a heavy duty clutch, and pressure plate, also replaced the throwout and pilot bearing. Shifted alright for about a month then started to be hard to shift, replaced the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder bled both of them. The clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder seem to be operating correctly but I did notice is that the slave cylinder rod stays protruding extended out instead of sucking and seating back in the slave cylinder. It's like the throwout bearing/pressure plate is not putting pressure on the fork to seat the slave cylinder rod thus making the slave cylinder rod to travel further to work but not being able to work effectively making it hard to shift. If I start the truck with the pedal to the floorboard it will go forward. I'm about to take off the transmission just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this or knows what I should do please reply.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try bleeding the clutch via the BLOCK method.
Basically - use a giant C clamp to keep the push rod from actually moving the throw out bearing FORK
The C clamp blocks the plunger / fork from moving relative to the end of the slave cylinder.

Thus, when you open the bleed screw - there is no "goosh" due to the plunger fighting the clutch cover springs

You don't have to do this with brakes, because the pads hit the rotor/drum and cant move.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:32 PM

Thanks for your reply and suggestion I'll try that, I don't know if I can get a C clamp down there but I'll rig something up to block it. It'll probably be about a week later due to work and all plus I removed the transmission to inspect the clutch system boy that was a pain in the rear, everything looked good from what I could see.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:23 PM

Well I just got done block bleeding the clutch slave cylinder and it was a success!! thank God!! and thank you Ewong for your wisdom and suggestion. I couldn't get a C clamp in there but I got a 2X4 block against the firewall and a prybar on the block prying on the fork to close the piston while my wife gently pressed on the clutch at which time I loosened the bleeder screw. Apparently there was some air behind the piston. Now it's shifting better than ever! Thanks again