86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 pickup coolant sensor location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 pickup coolant sensor location?

I just bought a 91 pickup with a 22re. I have many many questions, but my main concern is that the temp gauge is showing that its running on the cold side. Its about one quarter instead of half way.

I replaced the fan clutch, because it needed to be replaced, but the temp was still on the low side. So I replaced the thermostat, and no change. Tested the old thermostat, and it opened up in boiling water.

The engine feels hot, and heater blows hot. So I'm thinking that the coolant temp sensor might need replacing.

I ordered a ir temp gun that should be here in a few days, but it seems like a cheap part, and I was hoping that it would be an easy install. The only problem is I don't know where its located. I downloaded a service manual, in annoying pdf format, but I couldn't find it in the coolant section. I really wanted to get it fixed because I don't want to end up having the water pump go out, and not know that its over heating or anything like that.

So does anyone know where the coolant temp sensor is located, or which section of the service manual will tell where its located? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be if not the coolant sensor?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18 PM

It's in the picture between Injectors 2 & 3 (Brass with green ring) located on the lower intake manifold....Hope this helps. You may have to move some vacuum hoses out of the way to see it with the valve cover on..

Old 03-05-2011, 11:45 PM

cool thanks. I think I can see where it is now. I will take a look at my truck in the morning see if I can't find it.

Update:

Found it, but I also found out that there might be 2 different sensors. One is called a sensor and the other is called a sender. I guess the sender is what goes to the gauge, but I'm not sure because when I look up the part online, the sender and the sensor are the same part.

The 93 fsm that I found online isn't much help with this one.

Last edited by giantjoebot; 03-06-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 AM

Just wanted to updated. I did some work on my cooling system. I was getting a squeal, and it wasn't the belt, so I replaced the following.

Water pump
Fan clutch
Thermostat
Fan belt

All but the radiator hose and fan belt are oem. I had already replaced the fan clucth, but with a cheap one from a parts store. After that my temps went up to normal, and the squeal went away. The water pump I took off was a GMB, but it said made in Japan, so I'm not sure if it was stock or not. It had RTV around the gasket, not sure if they use silicone in the factory or not. Thought they didn't, and it had different blades then the oem one I got.

The other thing I changed was the coolant. I had the green stuff in there, and this time I used G-05.

Last edited by giantjoebot; 04-24-2011 at 05:26 PM.