Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

88 truck underpowered (and other issues)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCORE ONE FOR YOTAS OVER JEEPS. whats that bring the score to?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NaeSlas,

If you like I can help you with most of your questions. I have an 86 4runner with 33's and 4.88 gears.

If you want you can take a ride in it and see that even with gears these trucks are slow. I can however use 5th on the freeway.

I live down by UNM, PM me if you want.

Robb
Old 06-05-2007, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by NaeSLaS
also, i was thinking, if i come to a stop, and put the truck into 4-low, without engaging the manual front lockouts, do i effectively have 2-low? Is this bad for anything? I would assume not, because when they are in free mode, the wheel is turning without the axle, so would it matter if the axle is turning without the wheel?
I am wondering this also. It would be handy for when I pull our jetskis up the boat launch.

Rob
Old 06-05-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4Lo with the front unlocked is... 2Lo

Be aware that the CVs are spinning.
It puts "wear" on the bronze bushings in the spindle... but nothing Id worry about unless your wheel bearings are dry (then you have other issues).
Old 06-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Concerning your driveline slop; have you raised it off the ground & checked your universal joints?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 AM

You could always just do a sas that solves all the ifs problems. I hope to be starting mine soon. I got a few more parts I have to get before I can begin. If you need any IFS parts just let me know or any other parts for that matter. I have a bunch of parts I need to sell.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use "2lo" all the time...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:40 PM

can i ask a quick question? why are those bumpstops there? it looks like they allow around 1.5 inches of travel...then your truck basically hits and feels like its bottoming out? why not let the suspension travel more? would the torsion bars break?
hmmm.... they just look like they're defeating the purpose of having suspension
Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Figit090
can i ask a quick question? why are those bumpstops there? it looks like they allow around 1.5 inches of travel...then your truck basically hits and feels like its bottoming out? why not let the suspension travel more? would the torsion bars break?
hmmm.... they just look like they're defeating the purpose of having suspension
The bump stops are close to the centerline for the torsion bar, there is 6 or 8 inches of control arm beyond that point so the travel is actually much more than the 1.5 inches you see...

Take a pen sitting on your desk an pick it up at one end with the other end still sitting on the desk. The end on the desk moves much less. Same idea...
Old 06-19-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by netgodsrdn2
The bump stops are close to the centerline for the torsion bar, there is 6 or 8 inches of control arm beyond that point so the travel is actually much more than the 1.5 inches you see...

Take a pen sitting on your desk an pick it up at one end with the other end still sitting on the desk. The end on the desk moves much less. Same idea...
oh yeah, i didn't even think about that. i should have, considering what i know about how these kinda of things work...maybe i was just tired. good explanation though :p
Old 06-19-2007, 08:53 AM

Looks like we have the same truck. I have an 88 with 33s on it and stock gears. Get used to the power lag. I just use 5th if there is no hills or anything. 4th is the best on the highway.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 PM

ok, so here we sit as of this typing

Known issues:

1) Stolen Stereo (F***ERS!)
2) Window falls out of regulator, due to previous numbnut owner cutting out holes in my door panel for 6x9 speakers
3) bumpy ride, due to add-a-leaf, weak t-bars, and low bumpstops.
4) bent bumpstop, unknown cause, soon to be fixed
5) Power issue solved by bringing timing into check
6) Gearing due to 33's and stock gears...5th is a downhill gear only, but i can use 4th in highway speeds now.

Unknown Issues
1) Driveline lash...time to check the diffs?
2) Clunk when I first start in 1st, driveline lash?
3) 4-lo pops out randomly (rubber boot issue maybe?)
4) Buzz noise occurs at 21mph indicated, any gear. Sounds like a hollow pipe vibrating, like driveline lash too? Most notable in higher gears, like 3rd or 4th.
5) Missing jack and jammed up spare...pray i don't get a flat.
6) whatever pops up tomorrow

FWIW, the bracket lift i have in there has "Trailmaster" embedded on it. Not a rough country or superlift, like we had previously thought. oh well, what does brand matter much in a bracket lift anyway.

also, someone rear-ended me! i was sitting at a light when the police were coming through the intersection, with someone in front of me, and this 2WD s-10 slams into me.

truck damage: dented bumper, bent bumper bracket
s-10 damage: two headlights, grille, crumpled hood, cracked radiator, bent radiator support, trashed quarterpanels to the point of drivers door not opening.

Score another for Yotas.

pics of truck to come soon...downloading my vacation pics from the camera too.

P.S. i'm 21 now, so ATB NaeSLaS
Old 06-19-2007, 10:41 PM

lol...i want to see pics of your truck and his after that smash up. so...why did he hit you? you were stopped (with reason) at a green light maybe?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 AM

Didn't snap pics of the lady's truck, but it was pretty f***ed. and she hit me because she wasn't paying attention.

So here's pics of the truck before, with my buddy's 240sx under the bumper.

(btw, i'm trying out a new hosting service, google's picasa...i don't know if they allow remote linking or not. if these pics are broken, tell me)

so, before the bang-up, with my buddy's 240sx under my bumper

P.S...i call this picture "owned" because thats the full height of my jack:

anyway, here's the damage now

also, here's why the window keeps falling out of track

my missing stereo

adjustable steering stops?

i think i found the popping noise...LOL
Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 AM

So, as of this typing (reviving my old thread), most of the issues have been worked out.

I welded in supports to hold my new window regulator, and my window works again.

I still have driveline lash, some that was attributed to blown U-joints, but still some diff/gear lash.

I FINALLY have torque/power. When I went to do my timing chain, numbnuts before me had the timing one tooth off. They didn't pre-tension the cams before slapping the chain on. I'm surprised this didn't ruin my engine. I set the timing correctly, and now i have plenty of power/torque. I can actually get some use out of 5th on the freeway.

I have suspension pops, but I'm attributing this to balljoints right now.

I also have a MC rear bumper, that doesn't quite fit because of my body lift, but i'm not gonna worry about it quite yet. I only bottomed out my stock bumper twice.

My 4-low pops out because of the body lift. The shifters don't sit as high as they should. Not really sure what to do about this yet. I found someone (ORS i think) with a modified crossmember to correct for that, but i'm not so concerned with it yet.

ATB NaeSLaS