86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

7mge air flow meter lest see if the slow 6 can take it

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I despised my 3.0/auto when I had it. To those of you that have done this mod, does this mod make the power and mileage of this engine bearable?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
yes very much. everyone on here who has done this has been happy with it. the auto is a major dog compared to the 5 speed. yes its a good mod. and if you don't like it, reverse it
Old 12-01-2013, 10:56 AM

OK, since you are in CA, I'm very interested to understand how you pass smog with this setup. I'd love to do this on my daughter's truck but I also need to make sure it can still pass smog, both sniffer AND visual inspection.

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
I have to admit I'm a bit more risky than most with my mods, but this one was very solid.

1. Took me about 3 hours to put it on but I am very meticulous, so some could do it faster. Also did ISR mod at the same time.

2. It is essentially plug and play, no wiring or permanent changes needed. If you don't like it, just put the stock setup back on with no issues. Can't imagine not liking it though! Power is addicting.

3. Junkyard. I wouldn't buy a new one, too pricey. I bought the meter and the air box (both halves, they use the same air filter though) for about $70 at the local yard.

4. Maybe. I'd recommend scrapping it though unless you've got 3" piping. 2.5" (stock size) is too restrictive and you won't get the full benefit.

The benefits? Better throttle response and possibly a slight HP gain, not verified though. Definitely accelerates much better at low and high RPM's since it breathes much better. Also bumped up my MPG's a solid 1 MPG (mixed I'm at 18.5)

The trickiest part is adjusting the AFM and then hooking up the hoses. The 7MGE doesn't have the resonator boxes for the PCV and the A/C idle up hoses. You'll have to either mount some nozzles yourself or purchase a 3" universal kit like I did and buy some bulk hosing.

A Photo are worth a 1000 words (note that the blue filter is now a hose connecting to the air intake):

Old 12-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtremewlr
OK, since you are in CA, I'm very interested to understand how you pass smog with this setup. I'd love to do this on my daughter's truck but I also need to make sure it can still pass smog, both sniffer AND visual inspection.
Unfortunately, I can't say. Ask me in April

I couldn't see why it wouldn't pass visual, there's nothing illegal about it. It's the smog I'm concerned about, it has a slight stink to the exhaust... we'll see. All else fails I'll swap back in the stock setup to pass smog and the switch it back hehe.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
Unfortunately, I can't say. Ask me in April

I couldn't see why it wouldn't pass visual, there's nothing illegal about it. It's the smog I'm concerned about, it has a slight stink to the exhaust... we'll see. All else fails I'll swap back in the stock setup to pass smog and the switch it back hehe.
With the visual part, I can see the smog tech failing it because of the ISR mod and the filters for the PCV and the other line. I hope you don't have issues. Each smog tech will be different on what they will accept or not from my experience. Having to swap back would be a bit of a pain but not all that bad I guess since it's all easy to access.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:49 PM

my 94 5spd with 190k just passed smog late this summer, just prior to doing this mod.
the first vafm i got off ebay worked very well, but failed after a couple months.
i did not adjust the bypass screw, but did go 6 on the teeth, stock timing. the vafm almost left me stranded on the trail, so i'd say keep the stock/spare as cheap insur.

got another one from a dismantler yard, and installed that one. this one required adjustment and still could be dialed in more...timing adv to 16^.

what is it about the swap that may inhibit passing smog?
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 PM

I'm very interested in this mod. Might try it myself after researching. Great thread
Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Redeyejedi
what is it about the swap that may inhibit passing smog?
Having the ISR mod installed and then the filters where the missing hose goes to the pipe/catch can on the stock filter housing. I'm thinking purely on the visual inspection for CA. The sniffer test might be fine but I have no idea yet as I haven't tried it, just thinking about it right now and have to go shop the junk yards to see what I can find.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:00 PM

What an informative thread! Im going to try this mod asap.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 PM

Ok I'm completely hooked on the 7mge AFM swap. I get moving the fuel mix 5-6 clicks forward and adjusting the air flow screw as needed. I'm a bit confused (late at night) as to the 15° advance on the timing. Are you talking about the engine timing? Isn't this a risk?
I know maybe a complete NOOB question but I thought I would ask.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 AM

Yes, the engine timing is advanced to help burn all the extra fuel you are putting into the engine. My current timing is around 17 degrees. I also run 93 octane to help against pinging in the motor. I have noticed that if I run 87 octane the truck doesn't respond as it should. So I figured for 20 cents a gallon and about an extra 5 dollars a tank I will help protect my motor and get the best fuel economy out of it. I get about 19 mpg highway running on 33s and driving like Mario Andretti.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by bone collector
Yes, the engine timing is advanced to help burn all the extra fuel you are putting into the engine. My current timing is around 17 degrees. I also run 93 octane to help against pinging in the motor. I have noticed that if I run 87 octane the truck doesn't respond as it should. So I figured for 20 cents a gallon and about an extra 5 dollars a tank I will help protect my motor and get the best fuel economy out of it. I get about 19 mpg highway running on 33s and driving like Mario Andretti.
Ok I'm ordering one after my shift! I'll put up pics after New Years when it's done
Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 AM

Where are you ordering it from?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:57 AM

I'm using the supra air box as well. It works well. I got my afm, air box and bigger coil ( not necessary) from a junkyard for 50 bucks.....
Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by xtremewlr
With the visual part, I can see the smog tech failing it because of the ISR mod and the filters for the PCV and the other line. I hope you don't have issues. Each smog tech will be different on what they will accept or not from my experience. Having to swap back would be a bit of a pain but not all that bad I guess since it's all easy to access.
The swap back for me would just be loosening/tightening 3 tension clamps and swapping the filter. That's it. I have the entire stock air intake sitting in storage ready to swap back on if it doesn't pass.

If it doesn't pass for California I'll be sure to post. I'll just swap in the stock setup every year to pass and switch it back out the next day
Old 12-19-2013, 10:08 AM

Did some more research on this lately since it had me thinking. It looks as though to pass any visual inspection it must contain stock parts and if aftermarket, they have to be on this list:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Now, not every tech is going to spot every part so it does vary. But I'm pretty sure my rig will not pass a visual inspection at this point. So... I'm just going to go back to stock for the test and then switch back... shh...

Emissions test might be higher in HC's because of the injectors so we'll just wait and see!

So bottom line: if you do the ISR mod along with the VAFM switch, it may not be legal in California, depends on how you do it. If it's all bright and shiny like mine, not likely. Just keep all your old parts just in case!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 PM

anything else i should know before i do this swap
Old 01-04-2014, 05:26 PM

what questions do you have? everything is pretty well cover in this thread
Old 01-04-2014, 05:28 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ap-3vze-60513/

here is another link that might have some more info.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 PM

ok thanks, i was just curious if there was anything to but i understand it all i think lol,

Quick Reply: 7mge air flow meter lest see if the slow 6 can take it