Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

3VZE helpful mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, you'd probably be better off in the long run doing the 3.4 swap. I've have several hundred hours in a '94 3vze and I'm almost to the point of swapping out to something else. The perfect swap would be the old 1961 Buick 215 ci aluminum alloy V-8, which they sold to Rover & is still being used in Europe as their 3.5 liter V-8. Alas, they are rare as hens teeth in good condition.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexd699
Howdy...I am NEW to this GREAT SITE...Thanks to everyone for sharing your time learned knowledge and advise...!!!

I have a 1991 4Runner 3.0 3VZE with 280,000 miles which is getting tired...!!!
After Pulling the Heads Off & looking things over I am thinking of doing the Over-Size Valves, Performance Cams, and clean up the exhaust for better flow.

Can an yone point me in the right direction as far a Aftermarket Parts are concerned: What Cam(s) to get...???
Good source for Over-Sized Valve Heads...???
The Cams & Heads are my main concern at this time...!!!

I'm in Reno with access to some great desert and High Sierra Mountians back roads.
I'm mostly interested in Strong = Low to Mid Range Power.
I'm NOT into High-Speed Top-End Power.
Please Advise~~~>>>Many Thanks...!!!
Rex M.
member Weasy2k is about your best and just about only source for cams for the 3.0... there is an excellent thread here about them
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f57/...le-1-a-107788/
his customer service is excellent and the member feedback thus far has rated them A+ or better...
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rexd699

I'm in Reno with access to some great desert and High Sierra Mountians back roads.
Rex M.
Welcome to the board!! We sure do have lots of great desert and forest like roads around here. I was out in Dog Valley on Saturday and had to turn around due to a stuck and abandoned FJ Cruiser in the middle of the snowy road. I need to go back and get some pics though!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:32 PM

i just got done rebuilding a 3vze and it seems to run fine even tho i haven't been able to run it down the road yet. it is a 3vz from a 93 that i put in my 88 and it had a slightly blown head gasket on the passenger side when it was pulled from the 93. i think iv done everything that people suggest when rebuilding this engine but the question i have is should i change my cap and rotor? im using the original one one i just noticed every one mentioning it and im wondering if i should replace them. iv never replaced this on any car iv ever had. its kinda new to hear that this is commonly replaced to me. also i see many of u think headers are a good idea. well what about wrapping that pipe that goes around the back of the engine in header wrap?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:52 PM

oh another thing. would it be a good idea to do the isr mod now or not? iv only put 3 miles on the engine so far. i was thinking i should break it in in stock form before doing mods. what u think?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:37 AM

Hey yota fans this is a great site, im new to the site as well i own a 94 4-runner, bought it for $500 dollars with a blowed motor. It has the 3vze motor in it and i just got threw rebuilding it. U talk about costly$$$$$. Ive got about $2800 in just the motor end (could have got a 3.4 and 5 speed tranny with all the hook ups for $2400 out of a 99 model but thats another story) of it not including new cv axles, a/c compressor, rad, etc. Im finding out there is a lot of restrictions on this motor, i went back stock with everything but i should have did some different upgrades while i had it out, would have made it much easier. I have a power issue but by readin these entries a think it is in the timin, but where should i set it at 10 degrees btdc or 12 degrees btdc, cause its set a 0 now. Ive got power but not like it should, feels restricted when i get on it to pass someone. Another question is what exhaust restrictions can i get rid of with out harming the performance, and does upgrading the air supply make that big of a difference in these engines. And the answer to (hjkmotor) quote is my 94 has a exhaust shield that goes around that back pipe, so yes it wouldn't hurt to wrap it. Yes you need to change cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Go with a good set of truck wires and NGK plugs gapped at 31. Consider changing O2 sensor, don't be afraid to buy the universal one its the same one but u have to wire ur old plug from the O2 sensor on it and its have the price than an OEM. The universal one has the connectors and directions to wire it up, very easy to do.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Yeah I'm in the process of a rebuild right now. I'm just doing lc headers. Weasy cams and then just the necesary stuff like gaskets bolts sensors hoses etc. I don't think weasy will be able to hool anyone else up from what he said. I think lc is selling cams for the 3vze now tho. Just call and ask em. I'm planning on getting a couple more years outta this 3.0 and then getting a 3.4 with th s/c
Old 06-06-2009, 10:04 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sbecker - When I bought mine, it was at 0* also, just going to the factory setting of 10* makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference, and going a bit further helps even more.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 PM

Replace the old tired 3vze afm with 7mge afm and the rest of the mods will be worthit...mind u this mod is not that expensive...
Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 PM

i just bought my truck not to long ago and i made a power list of stuff i ahve done since i have bought it and it's shocking on the power i have got from it all

7mge afm richen by 6 teeth
7mge air box
K&N drop in filter
7mge ig coil
7mgte big body alt 180 amp
NM 3 inc intake tube
reed vavle rez delet
apexi neo (fuel computer)
flex alight fan
ngk wires
copper plugs gapped to 7mge spec
plx wide band (for tuning)

2.5 exhuast/high flow cat and flowmaster 40 sereis

what i have gain i can beat my brother 2000 stock 4runner and his low milage my rig is jack up sas rolling on 35's and it's a 4 door fully loaded rock slides ect (heavy)

from my butt i have doen 30 plus easy hp gain turq as well ( this can be done for pretty dame cheep )

i going to finsh my tuning ont eh dyno whne i get chance

ps i used to work at tuner shop

remmber mr2 poepl have bean useing this motor for some time pushing big power out of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elj78gx67aM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH71F...eature=related
Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 AM

3.0 power

wooohooo
Nashman,
You should open another thread specifically detailing your mods. IMHO your mods should be on top of the list of any MODS for the 3.0. or for that matter top ten of the list. This should put to rest once and for all the doubters about the hidden power and potential of the 3.0.
It's a good roadmap to follow....SUubscribe!!!
Can't wait to see the dyno...

go 3.0!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 AM

What brand o2 sensor should I buy? On autohausaz.com there is a bosch for 90 and a desno for 109, what is better?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:13 AM

just a buy a wide band kit

aem
plx
airtronicks
inavative

they all have good and low points some data log some don't some are cheep ect
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 PM

My 3VZ has 350,000 km on it and when I bought it it had been ridden hard and put away wet. But I feel like I have got it back to great condition and has smooth decent power.

1. NGK Iridium plugs; NGK wires, cap and rotor.
2. Castrol GTX Synthetic 5W30
3. Timing belt was done by dealer
4. High flow exhaust with the cat cut out; 2 chamber high flow muffler (unsure on the brand)
5. K&N Air Filter
6. Microlon Engine Treatment.
http://www.microlon.com
7. Various Injector Cleaners.
8. Done all diff fluids; t-case fluid; and manual transmission fluid.
9. Changed the fuel filter.
10. New O2 sensor.

Right now I am getting 20 miles per UK gallon or about 17 miles per US gallon for city driving. Which I think is pretty decent. I also pull a 2000lb tent trailer with it and it does pretty good on the highway at maintaining 110 km/hr. I am going to do a seafoam treatment to see how that helps. But right now I am very pleased with how the truck runs, smooth and still a little jam.

Last edited by Jake3744; 05-03-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Racer944
I have found with my K&N that it does let in some dust. Possibly could have been from over-oiling the filter (I've read in several places that over oiling it will cause a CEL and be less effective at filtering. However, this begs the question of how much to oil the sucker. Anyone have helpful tips and hints?
Use no oil, Sooner or later it will clog the MAF sensor.Using it dry will be just as effective as oiling it.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM

Hey yota tech! i just bought a 92 extra cab with 220k on the actual truck, the guy i bought it from got a 3vz from a 4 runner and rebuilt it, and put it in. new pistons and he board it supposedly. Now that i have taken a closer look it is quite the cob job and idles strangely. i decided im going to run it till it dies seeing that putting a lot money into it has quite the risk factor. And then going to either 22re or 3.4. But i was wondering if there was anything specific i should look for or replace that might be a quick save or improve my chances off avoiding a catastrophic failure with this cob job rebuild. Thanks Guys!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the family... as for the 3.0 that was "modified' I really have no ideas at all on what you might do other than take it to a reliable mech. for a tune up and change all the fluids diffs/tranny/transfer case/coolant that way you will have a pt. to measure from for the periodic fluid services. It's quite pos. that this yahoo did'nt get the timing right when he rebuilt the engine so that might have something to do with the weird idle...
just do what you can without investing big bucks into a suspect engine...
Old 05-15-2011, 06:14 PM

there once was a man with a 3.o
it was a dog it would not go
he came upon a lass
with a shapely a$$
and said "wanna see where my toyota will go!"
Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 AM

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the help Aviator
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 AM

Ohh i forgot to mention that the guy didn't use the right gaskets anywhere on the truck so everything leaks! he used this quick gasket stuff, thats in a cock gun type thing. Now after 15k miles its all gone so now the trany leaks when i'm pulling up hills and everything under neath is wet with fluid... yay

Quick Reply: 3VZE helpful mods