Sponsored by: DashLynx

3VZE air filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3VZE air filter

Strange - search on the above didn't bring much up.

What filters are available other than K&N? Amsoil, TruFlow?

Looks like FIPK gets mixed reviews, and doesn't replace the tube between the intake and AFM...
Old 12-14-2005, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My FIPK kit replaced the tube (ISR Mod).

K&N says it creates a little more than 3HP at avery hig RPM, so its not worth it at all.
The only reason i hade on on my 92 was because it came with it. On my 95 I will use the stock airbox, K&N intake TUBE and a standard K&N filter with a Safari Snorkel.

I don't know what else is on the market, but not much.

Summit has RS Akimoto Funnel Ram Air Intake Systems... never seen one though...

Lamm
Old 12-14-2005, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm running a simple drop in AFE washable filter, same as K&N but much cheaper...about $40. Not sure about any power gain but it seems to breath better but that's probably just guessing that it does. We have about 2-3 left at work still too. We sell the AFE filters rather than the TRD or K&N, save people money and get a product just as good.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:28 AM

The stock filter can flow WAY more air than the 3vze could ever need. Simply changing the filter will do nothing for performance. Unless yours is clogged with mud

If your dead set on changing it stay away from K&N or any filter similar in design. Nothing beats a good oiled foam filter like the two stage Amsoil. The oil you use on them is super tacky. Nothing is getting through that stuff. Im not sure if they make one for the 2nd gen 4Runner though.

Last edited by ThomasJ; 12-15-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThomasJ
The stock filter can flow WAY more air than the 3vze could ever need. Simply changing the filter will do nothing for performance. Unless yours is clogged with mud
I don't know about that. I installed the k&n drop-in filter plus my isr mod and I noticed a huge difference in throttle response.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by cootees
I don't know about that. I installed the k&n drop-in filter plus my isr mod and I noticed a huge difference in throttle response.
I have run a couple of different versions of the K& N and yes they flow more than the stock. the difference is the air flow is easier then the stock so it doesn't take as much suction to get the air, therefore less lag time to the cylinder and therefore more air in each cumbustion cycle.

I have run a total of about 10 different K&N's vs. paper over the years in everythiny form drop in replacement to ram air and evrything in between, the K&N outperformed every time. I am sure the results would be simular for the other high flow filters vs. stock

Last edited by celica; 12-15-2005 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

K&N Drop in

I did the ISR Mod about a month ago and noticed a big increase in throttle responce. About a week ago I got a K&N drop in and saw another increse, not as drastick as the ISR mod but better non the less. Plus it sounds alot better when you step on the gas, you can hear it sucking in the air.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:25 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what I felt when I put the ram air and K&N on the Impala. Just read some things that maybe K&N isn't the best filtering - wondering if there was something else available for this motor.

I like the snorkel idea, but IMHO it would look pretty funny on my otherwise stock 4Runner! (Now, after the 33's, body lift, bumpers, ...)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

If you were reading about K&N filters on this board then you will see there is a huge quarrel about them. I personally like k&n. There are however several other that you can try. Green air filters(very similar to k&n, actually funny story about it. Green filters was founded by a guy who use to work for k&n doing r&d), amsoil has some good filters, ect.. do a search on the board and you will find a TON of info on filters.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two of my buddies, one an ex world rally mechanic who worked for every major manufacturer and the other a current Toyota F1 engine builder, say to stick with the stock paper filter. I think their point is that it's not worth the probable damage to the engine over time (due to particle intake) for the marginal increase in performance. I had a K&N drop in filter in the truck for awhile. It's sitting on a shelf in my garage now and I've been running stock paper since I had the conversation with my friends. I only got 228k out of my 3.0. But for the burnt exhaust valve in #4, the compression was still well within tolerance in all the other cylinders!

Of course, my 4 stroke dirt bike came stock with a oiled foam filter. Then again I clean and reoil that filter (actually a UNI now) after every ride (I even keep a spare clean/oiled filter in my tool kit in case I need it.) You wouldn't believe the amount of dirt that comes off that filter element after a day riding in the desert or local mountains on a dry day.

[Edit] (the UNI reference)

Last edited by Snorkeldepth; 12-15-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:18 PM

Gadget has done a lot of work in this area - the facts simply do not lie.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:22 PM

Anyone have a RS Akimoto Funnel Ram Air Intake System?

Sounds ricey but may be OK???

Lamm
Old 12-16-2005, 05:36 AM
tc
Contributing Member

.. do a search on the board and you will find a TON of info on filters.
Yes, I have read those, and they all seem to favor Amsoil or TruFlow - but I don't think either of them makes one for the 3VZE, therefore this thread.

Does anyone know if the "high flow" paper filters (Fram AirHog, etc) actually do flow better?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:31 AM

I'd take their advice about the K&N with a grain of salt. The engines they work on, F1's and Rally racers, demand different from our vehicles. I've ran, at the very least, a K&N filter since I've started driving. If you get some "particles" get into the engine (I don't know why particles won't get in with a regular filter) then they should get cleaned out everytime you do an engine treatment, which I recomend once a year. ie STP makes a good one.

Last edited by AUYota; 12-16-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Amsoil makes a filter for the 3vze. Personal preffernce, but I would not put anything made by fram on my truck. I have heard too many horror stories with their oil filters.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

i didn't think amsoil or truflow made air filters for the 3vze either... where are folks finding these? i've been running the k&n drop-in for a few years now and would willingly cough up a few extra $ for a better unit ... if i could find one.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sandcrawler
i didn't think amsoil or truflow made air filters for the 3vze either... where are folks finding these? i've been running the k&n drop-in for a few years now and would willingly cough up a few extra $ for a better unit ... if i could find one.
I don't know where it to get it. If you go to amsoil's website then they show a listing for the 3vze.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know where it to get it. If you go to amsoil's website then they show a listing for the 3vze.
huh, i didn't think they listed anything but here's what i found ...

1993 TOYOTA 4-RUNNER 3.0L 6-cyl VIN Code 3V-ZE
FILTERS
Oil Filter......EaO57/SDF57
Oil Vapor Filter......N/R
Air Filter......42333
Fuel Filter......33319
Fuel Vapor Filter......N/R
Trans......58805, 2WD
Trans......58884, 4WD

the 42333 air filter is a WIX ... is this correct? it's only $19.

[edit: the amsoil website has lots of info but is a complete usability nightmare...]
Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sandcrawler
42333 air filter is a WIX ... is this correct? it's only $19.

[edit: the amsoil website has lots of info but is a complete usability nightmare...]
Thats the filter I saw on the website, I wasn't paying attention real well. Nor was I too concerned about it cause I am actually happy with how my k&n filter performs. I'll do some searching around looking in some of my cross reference catalogs and see if they make one that is similar.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, i haven't found anything either ... yet, i hope.
at any rate, the k&n unit seems fine and my throttle body was quite clean the last time i did it.

Quick Reply: 3VZE air filter